Republicans/Leaners: Do you want the GOP to disavow Trump/ stop supporting him?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:41:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Republicans/Leaners: Do you want the GOP to disavow Trump/ stop supporting him?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Republicans/Leaners: Do you want the GOP to disavow Trump/ stop supporting him?
YES

NO

Not a republican or GOP leaner

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 84

Author Topic: Republicans/Leaners: Do you want the GOP to disavow Trump/ stop supporting him?  (Read 1363 times)
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2016, 05:35:21 PM »

And to others, if they did this, would it improve your opinion of the GOP and senate candidates if they disavow him and endorse someone else or no one?
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 05:49:58 PM »

I can get why they would do it, but it makes my opinion less favorable of them.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 05:50:38 PM »

And to others, if they did this, would it improve your opinion of the GOP and senate candidates if they disavow him and endorse someone else or no one?

It would improve my opinion of the GOP immensely.  (Perspective: middle-of-the-road independent, have voted for all of L R D I in past Presidential elections, supporting Clinton this year.)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 05:50:45 PM »

Yes, it's time to focus on the Senate and the House and stop supporting this buffoon.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 05:51:16 PM »

The problem is, if they do this, they risk alienating a huge number of voters for a long time. Yes, some of those voters are unsavory but they would be unwise to alienate all of them.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 05:52:07 PM »

I have really mixed feelings on this at this point.  But, the focus has to be on maintaining (or, dare I say expanding) the Senate majority.  This election has been a disaster, and I want it to be over so that the healing can begin!
rafta_rafta

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 05:52:30 PM »

Yes, please note that I had never similar opinions for GOP nominees of the past even though there were political differences on pretty much every issue.

Trump is different and the GOP should realize that.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 05:55:03 PM »

I think they should just cut all funding to him and just spend it all on senate races instead.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 05:56:40 PM »

Yes, please note that I had never similar opinions for GOP nominees of the past even though there were political differences on pretty much every issue.

Trump is different and the GOP should realize that.

Yes, exactly.  No matter which party I voted for, I've always felt that the country would be OK if my candidate lost (which has happened roughly half the time) -- that is, until this year.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 08:16:35 PM »

The problem is, if they do this, they risk alienating a huge number of voters for a long time. Yes, some of those voters are unsavory but they would be unwise to alienate all of them.

Doesn't the fact that a solid majority of Republican voters, per polls, are still sticking by Trump kind of give lie to this notion that your party was hijacked by a small band of interlopers?

If a majority of Republican voters are sticking by Trump after all of this, then, guess what, it is Trump's party now. You're just choosing to stick around.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 08:20:10 PM »

Yes, and if he won't do it lock him up for a few months or longer.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 08:27:31 PM »

Yes, it's time to focus on the Senate and the House and stop supporting this buffoon.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 08:31:37 PM »

Of course!

Doesn't the fact that a solid majority of Republican voters, per polls, are still sticking by Trump kind of give lie to this notion that your party was hijacked by a small band of interlopers?

If a majority of Republican voters are sticking by Trump after all of this, then, guess what, it is Trump's party now. You're just choosing to stick around.

Of course not. The fact that a solid majority are voting against Hillary Clinton just goes to show what kind of a person Hillary Clinton is. Trump received a plurality, not even a large one, in the primary, and even now a pretty decently-sized majority of his supporters describe themselves as "against Hillary" rather than "for Trump". That's a ridiculous argument.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 08:34:55 PM »

Yes, and quickly.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 08:48:53 PM »

Yes, it makes me like/respect them more.

Any Republican who supports Trump this election will never receive my vote for any office ever again.  If, by the end of the election, the GOP has not withdrawn support, I may even change party affiliation to Democrat.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2016, 09:08:20 PM »

Of course!

Of course not. The fact that a solid majority are voting against Hillary Clinton just goes to show what kind of a person Hillary Clinton is. Trump received a plurality, not even a large one, in the primary, and even now a pretty decently-sized majority of his supporters describe themselves as "against Hillary" rather than "for Trump". That's a ridiculous argument.

Someone who seriously thinks Donald Trump would be a better president than Hillary Clinton is a foaming-at-the-mouth Deplorable.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2016, 09:32:02 PM »

Obviously.  When Democrats hurled attacks at Romney in 2012, they sounded like the partisan idiots they were.

Now their attacks on our nominee are just correct.  In fact, they don't even need to attack him, they just let him open his mouth and he embarrass himself, his party and his country on the reg.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2016, 09:32:51 PM »

Not fully disavow, but they really need to go all in on saving the Senate (especially Rubio and Blunt), and save vulnerable House seats.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2016, 09:44:04 PM »

Not fully disavow, but they really need to go all in on saving the Senate (especially Rubio and Blunt), and save vulnerable House seats.

Why not?!  The stuff he has said is UNACCEPTABLE.  Everyone should realize this by now.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2016, 10:22:16 PM »

As a former Republican I think it's high time they disavow Trump. The GOP lost that Conservative party brand the moment they nominated that moron called Donald Trump. They should've pulled funding for Trump months ago and spent it in Congressional races. Trump has singlehandedly destroyed the party and the incompetency of the GOP leaders for letting this happen is beyond me.
The fact that a poster named "TexasConservative" no longer sees fit to be a Republican should show everyone just how awful Trump really is.
Fargobison

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2016, 10:37:51 PM »

As a former Republican I think it's high time they disavow Trump. The GOP lost that Conservative party brand the moment they nominated that moron called Donald Trump. They should've pulled funding for Trump months ago and spent it in Congressional races. Trump has singlehandedly destroyed the party and the incompetency of the GOP leaders for letting this happen is beyond me.

I agree with every single word.

I am still pissed that they bulldozed the grassroots of the party in Cleveland to pave the way for the of nomination of the orange baboon. 
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2016, 11:07:45 PM »

Why not?!  The stuff he has said is UNACCEPTABLE.  Everyone should realize this by now.
I agree that what he said IS unacceptable, but I think they should come just short of a full disavowment. He is their nominee, officially disavowing him will really hurt the party even more (IMO). But if more tapes are released, I may probably will change my mind.
Arbitrage1980
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2016, 11:26:56 PM »

Absolutely. The GOP should have disavowed him a long time ago. I felt very strongly that the party should have unbound the delegates on the first ballot, allowing them to vote their conscience, but cowardly Reince and the leaders caved to Trump.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2016, 11:29:10 PM »
« Edited: October 11, 2016, 01:06:03 AM by Moderate Hero »

They all should do it .
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »