Electoral College
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:53:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Electoral College
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Poll
Question: Which system do you prefer?
Current Electoral System

Nationwide Popular Vote

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: Electoral College  (Read 57362 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2004, 10:30:57 PM »

Maybe if the Northerners in Congress earlier in the last century (1900s) had cared enough about the South as they did themselves, the Northern majority in those days would have funded southern schools. Its a fact Southern tax money went to build the North up. Nowadays its not like that but up until the 1950s I'd say it's true.

A college education does not always make you smarter then a blue-collar worker. Ever heard the term "educated idiot"?
dunn

« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2004, 03:13:22 AM »

The average lower class White Southerner does strike me as not valuing education at all. I'm sorry if my stereotype bothered you.

The North is not diverse at all. At my suburban middle school (my high school is far more diverse, but still very white) we had 3 or 4 asians, 1 half black kid, and maybe 1 hispanic out of a class of 300.

Rich area . that's all.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2004, 05:13:53 AM »

They are a dangerous group to vote! They are politically like NASCAR dads, which in my book means stupid, rebellious, and intolerant. I was angered how Dean's statement on them was deamed too controversial.

Say what you want about 'em, call them what you want, but remember if it wasn't for them, the Governers of Louisiana and Virginia would be Republicans.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2004, 06:08:50 AM »

Democracy= Majority tyrany, but I've made this argueement before.

Yes, and you're still wrong... Tongue

Democracy does not necessarily have to be tyranny. Democracy can be just as respectful of individual rights and liberties as dictatures. In fact, the clear tendency is that they are more so than dictatures.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2004, 06:09:16 AM »

If I remember right the United States are under a Constitutional Republic not a Democracy. Democracy = Mob Rule.

Democray does not equal mob rule. Either you have democracy or you have dictature. Democracy's has its drawbacks, but is WAAAAAAY superior to all other forms of government.

NOt at all.. a Republic involves limiting access to power by the masses.  Thank god.  

A Republic involves no one inheriting positions, that's the definition. I think we'll allow the US to call itself a republic despite this definition, as an exception... Wink

A dictature never works in the long run. Platonian Utopias may look good on paper, but never ever work. Someone once pointed out that no democracy has ever starved and no two democracies have never fought in war against each other. That's pretty much the basic argument for democracy: you get peace and prosperity from it. And they also respect individual rights to a much larger extent than dictatures. The correlation cannot be ignored. Free markets and democracy are linked, whether you like it or not.

Democracies go to war all the time - France and Germany 1870, Germany vs Britain, France, US 1914/17.  Even Hitler was elected democratically.   Majority rule gaurantees nothing except that your persecutors are numerous.  I'd feel a lot more secure about my property in an oligarchy that limited the franchise (another kind of Republic).

I'm inclined to aggree with you.

I am not, that's why I responded to Opebo's post...
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2004, 10:40:56 AM »

I live in the rural south and in my area we have Hispanics from all different countries, blacks, Haitians, Domnicans, and whites. You dont call that diversity? Blacks and Whites work side by side here with very little if any noticable tension. Not like in some northern cities I've been to where the blacks resent whites and blame them for all their woes.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2004, 05:43:50 PM »

Actually one of the lowest turnout groups are poor, white, rural southerners.
Turnout is always higher amoung rich, white, suburban southerners and blacks.

I blame gerrymandering...

They are a dangerous group to vote! They are politically like NASCAR dads, which in my book means stupid, rebellious, and intolerant. I was angered how Dean's statement on them was deamed too controversial.

Sounds to me like your the 'intolerant' one Zachman.
zachman

« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2004, 07:13:48 PM »

I don't like all groups of people. I don't like pure partisans- people who will agree with the parties no matter how they change. I don't like white southerners who often do not value education or religious tolerance.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2004, 09:11:25 PM »

I don't like all groups of people. I don't like pure partisans- people who will agree with the parties no matter how they change. I don't like white southerners who often do not value education or religious tolerance.

Does this dislike of southerners who don't value education or religious tolerance only extend to whites?  Or is it equal opportunity?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2004, 09:19:02 PM »

Valuations of anything are either purely subjective or market prices.  Some people value education, others don't.  Its all just a matter of what you like.  I consider education a fine luxury good for the leisure class, but not of much practical use.  

As for market prices - I guess a lot of customers must value it because a college degree is certainly expensive these days.  
zachman

« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2004, 09:30:52 PM »

I'd like to see a public school in the south and see how different it is. I'm guessing it would be like the school in October Sky.  

At summer school, everyone was from the Northeast and California except for a huge minority of black kids from the Jackson Mississippi public schools.

I do wrongly apply economic and educational barriers on whites from the south, partly because what Dean said, and partly because they are not the first generation of opportunity like their black counterparts. My prejudices against the south are too unfair and questionable, but I do have prejudices. Maybe it is the religion.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2004, 11:24:58 PM »

I'd like to see a public school in the south and see how different it is. I'm guessing it would be like the school in October Sky.  

At summer school, everyone was from the Northeast and California except for a huge minority of black kids from the Jackson Mississippi public schools.

I do wrongly apply economic and educational barriers on whites from the south, partly because what Dean said, and partly because they are not the first generation of opportunity like their black counterparts. My prejudices against the south are too unfair and questionable, but I do have prejudices. Maybe it is the religion.

Its probably just resentment and envy because Southerners and Midwesterners are marginalizing the old moribund elites of the NE and CA.  Face it, we've got a stranglehold on the politics of the nation.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2004, 02:49:01 AM »

Yes, Southerners dont value education. Fine schools such as Vanderbilt, University of Tennesse, University of Virginia, V.P.I., Citadel, VMI, U of Miami, U of Florida, Florida State and the list goes on and on. Ya us inbreed hick rednecks dont value edgeecatin our chillun. We have Churches, Synagogues all kinds of religions are in the south. Did you know that before the Civil War more Jews lived in the SOUTH then the North? Oh yeah but to you it's : "If day aint Christian lets git the white hoods and hangum." Just because a person doesn't go to college doesnt mean they are any less of a person compared to someone who did. I know plenty of people with no degree who have common sense and plenty who have a degree with NO common sense. If you can afford college, great! Go for it. If you can't and you have to work a blue collar job their is nothing wrong with that. Hard work doesnt equal ignorance.

Sorry for spouting folks. This kind of young ignorance Zachman displays aggravates me.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2004, 06:42:26 AM »

Look Zachman... whatever you think of rural Southerners you have to accept this simple fact:

A poorly educated, Baptist, White, unemployed former textile worker living in an a pokey and badly built wooden house in South Carolina is FAR more likely to vote for Kerry than a well educated, affluent, white collar office worker with a nice car and a big house in Cobb County, GA
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2004, 06:56:18 AM »

I'm not saying he will vote for Kerry, but he might think about it (he will probably abstain), but thought of *not* voting for Bush would not have even crossed the other guy's mind.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2004, 10:35:39 AM »

Look Zachman... whatever you think of rural Southerners you have to accept this simple fact:

A poorly educated, Baptist, White, unemployed former textile worker living in an a pokey and badly built wooden house in South Carolina is FAR more likely to vote for Kerry than a well educated, affluent, white collar office worker with a nice car and a big house in Cobb County, GA

This from a man living in West Virginia, one of the poorest states in our nation.
dunn

« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2004, 10:47:02 AM »

This from a man living in West Virginia, one of the poorest states in our nation.
I think he is living in the UK....
Smiley
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2004, 01:24:36 PM »

If so, visit West Virginia. You'll quickly choose another state for your Avatar. I thought it was odd he has a WVA Avatar. I heard they just got computers last year.
dunn

« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2004, 02:15:52 PM »

If so, visit West Virginia. You'll quickly choose another state for your Avatar. I thought it was odd he has a WVA Avatar. I heard they just got computers last year.

What's that bad there, I mean "stonewall" is from there
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2004, 02:47:08 PM »

I'm a part of the U.K, which is very similer to West Virginia (I also know people there).

WV is covered by the Appalachians.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2004, 03:05:00 PM »

I don't get what your point is. I mean, what's so wrong with WV, that they're poor? I thought you were making an argument against prejudices towards the poor? Huh
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2004, 06:04:35 PM »

Yes, Southerners dont value education. Fine schools such as Vanderbilt, University of Tennesse, University of Virginia, V.P.I., Citadel, VMI, U of Miami, U of Florida, Florida State and the list goes on and on. Ya us inbreed hick rednecks dont value edgeecatin our chillun. We have Churches, Synagogues all kinds of religions are in the south. Did you know that before the Civil War more Jews lived in the SOUTH then the North? Oh yeah but to you it's : "If day aint Christian lets git the white hoods and hangum." Just because a person doesn't go to college doesnt mean they are any less of a person compared to someone who did. I know plenty of people with no degree who have common sense and plenty who have a degree with NO common sense. If you can afford college, great! Go for it. If you can't and you have to work a blue collar job their is nothing wrong with that. Hard work doesnt equal ignorance.

Sorry for spouting folks. This kind of young ignorance Zachman displays aggravates me.

For once I agree with you wholehartedly
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2004, 09:55:07 PM »

Well said.  Being a northeasterner myself, I would probably never vote for one for president.  I hate the arrogance that many people in this part of the country display toward the south.  I don't blame southerners for disliking us, with some of the comments I've seen.

It's funny how liberals are so critical of everybody else's prejudices, but make excuses for their own.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2004, 01:56:44 AM »

I don't get what your point is. I mean, what's so wrong with WV, that they're poor? I thought you were making an argument against prejudices towards the poor? Huh

My grandad is from Morgantown, WVA. Kind of just a state to state rivalry, poking fun at West Virginians. I was raised in MD and VA. Its hard to understand the jabs we use on each other. I've been to WVA many many times, have no problem at all with the state. Yes, Stonewall was from that part of the country. But it was Virginia then.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2004, 11:53:32 AM »

My grandad is from Morgantown, WVA. Kind of just a state to state rivalry, poking fun at West Virginians. I was raised in MD and VA. Its hard to understand the jabs we use on each other. I've been to WVA many many times, have no problem at all with the state. Yes, Stonewall was from that part of the country. But it was Virginia then.

Oh, I see, I didn't really know that. Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies