The Klartext Landfill for Absurd, Ignorant, and Deplorable Posts VI
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:19:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Klartext Landfill for Absurd, Ignorant, and Deplorable Posts VI
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77
Author Topic: The Klartext Landfill for Absurd, Ignorant, and Deplorable Posts VI  (Read 149298 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1800 on: July 07, 2017, 11:34:27 PM »

Petition to rename this thread after Thomas Jackson for being normie scum and an overall trash poster.

x Scott

Виргиния
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1801 on: July 07, 2017, 11:42:49 PM »

I'm not changing this thread's title every 5 freaking pages, for crying out loud. This thread is almost over. TJ can have the next one.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1802 on: July 07, 2017, 11:59:34 PM »

[...] This thread is almost over. TJ can have the next one.

Oh wow, it is almost over. I didn't even notice that. Why does it seem like the fastest moving archive thread is always the one for bad posts? Sad
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1803 on: July 08, 2017, 12:01:02 AM »

[...] This thread is almost over. TJ can have the next one.

Oh wow, it is almost over. I didn't even notice that. Why does it seem like the fastest moving archive thread is always the one for bad posts? Sad

The culture here is very mean.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1804 on: July 08, 2017, 12:17:07 AM »

Yeah, this one's sure come and gone fast. Having had an election in between probably didn't help.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1805 on: July 08, 2017, 11:28:41 AM »

Tara Gilesbie has never seen a good argument against FGM.

Very well, I'll say it - Option 2. I've never seen an argument against this that isn't just "KNIVES ARE REALLY SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111"or something similar.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1806 on: July 08, 2017, 05:55:44 PM »

I'm not changing this thread's title every 5 freaking pages, for crying out loud. This thread is almost over. TJ can have the next one.

Had to backtrack a little bit when I thought you were referring to TJ in Cleve. Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1807 on: July 08, 2017, 08:27:55 PM »

Had to backtrack a little bit when I thought you were referring to TJ in Cleve. Tongue

Oh God no. Tongue Sorry, that was an unfortunate ambiguity.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1808 on: July 09, 2017, 12:27:19 PM »

Republicans are literally profiting from demolishing healthcare in the US, yet we'll yell a bit more about Russia.

Newsflash: People are concerned with keeping  their jobs than the Russia hysteria. There's people working two or three jobs who still aren't making enough, yet you'll scream about Russia till the moon falls into the damn sea. Seriously, the solution to everything is Russia, it seems. Dems lost an election? Russia. Bernie Sanders saying you need to move left or you'll keep losing? Russia sympathiser. Stub your toe getting out of bed in the morning? Russia. That's the level it's gotten to.

People are worried about their jobs. People are worried about their healthcare. People are worried about putting food on their tables. Yet, Democrats won't hammer Trump on these issues because it means giving ground to the left, so they keep screaming "RUSSIA RUSSIA RUSSIA" every time something goes wrong. If 2018 doesn't go well for the Democrats, I guarantee that they'll blame Russia, the left, or both.

Start focusing on the damn issues already. Talk about healthcare, the minimum wage, Wall Street reform, etc. Democrats are better on those issues than Republicans are. But no, that means the left gets a foothold in the party, and we can't  have that. Gotta protect Booker and the other Third Wayers.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #1809 on: July 09, 2017, 02:13:28 PM »

Republicans are literally profiting from demolishing healthcare in the US, yet we'll yell a bit more about Russia.

Newsflash: People are concerned with keeping  their jobs than the Russia hysteria. There's people working two or three jobs who still aren't making enough, yet you'll scream about Russia till the moon falls into the damn sea. Seriously, the solution to everything is Russia, it seems. Dems lost an election? Russia. Bernie Sanders saying you need to move left or you'll keep losing? Russia sympathiser. Stub your toe getting out of bed in the morning? Russia. That's the level it's gotten to.

People are worried about their jobs. People are worried about their healthcare. People are worried about putting food on their tables. Yet, Democrats won't hammer Trump on these issues because it means giving ground to the left, so they keep screaming "RUSSIA RUSSIA RUSSIA" every time something goes wrong. If 2018 doesn't go well for the Democrats, I guarantee that they'll blame Russia, the left, or both.

Start focusing on the damn issues already. Talk about healthcare, the minimum wage, Wall Street reform, etc. Democrats are better on those issues than Republicans are. But no, that means the left gets a foothold in the party, and we can't  have that. Gotta protect Booker and the other Third Wayers.

Sorry, did you mean to post this in the Simple Truths gallery?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1810 on: July 09, 2017, 02:21:47 PM »

OK let me break down all the stupidity in this post:

1-It was in response to a NYTimes story about officials of the Trump campaign meeting with a Kremlin-related lawyer. Not a DNC press release or statement by any Democratic politician. Thus making most of it a non-sequitur.
2-Bernie Sanders is an anti-Russia hardliner as well.
3-"The Democrats aren't attacking the Republicans on healthcare", OMG give me a f[inks]ing break.
4-It's impossible for Cory Booker to be Third Way, since he wasn't a politician when Third Way was even a thing. It's 2017, not during the Tony Blair or Bill Clinton administrations.
5-For that matter, this is what Cory Booker has said about healthcare and the minimum wage:
http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2017/05/sen_booker_rallies_for_newark_airport_workers_wage.html
https://www.booker.senate.gov/?p=issue&id=69
6-The entire premise is a logical fallacy that implies that it's impossible to both attack Trump for Russia connections and attack him on the issues that absolutely no Democrats are doing both.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1811 on: July 09, 2017, 02:34:43 PM »

Newsflash: People are concerned with keeping  their jobs than the Russia hysteria. There's people working two or three jobs who still aren't making enough, yet you'll scream about Russia till the moon falls into the damn sea. Seriously, the solution to everything is Russia, it seems. Dems lost an election? Russia. Bernie Sanders saying you need to move left or you'll keep losing? Russia sympathiser. Stub your toe getting out of bed in the morning? Russia. That's the level it's gotten to.

Start focusing on the damn issues already. Talk about healthcare, the minimum wage, Wall Street reform, etc. Democrats are better on those issues than Republicans are. But no, that means the left gets a foothold in the party, and we can't  have that. Gotta protect Booker and the other Third Wayers.

1-It was in response to a NYTimes story about officials of the Trump campaign meeting with a Kremlin-related lawyer. Not a DNC press release or statement by any Democratic politician. Thus making most of it a non-sequitur.
3-"The Democrats aren't attacking the Republicans on healthcare", OMG give me a f[inks]ing break.
4-It's impossible for Cory Booker to be Third Way, since he wasn't a politician when Third Way was even a thing. It's 2017, not during the Tony Blair or Bill Clinton administrations.
5-For that matter, this is what Cory Booker has said about healthcare and the minimum wage:
http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2017/05/sen_booker_rallies_for_newark_airport_workers_wage.html
6-The entire premise is a logical fallacy that implies that it's impossible to both attack Trump for Russia connections and attack him on the issues that absolutely no Democrats are doing both.

Something, something Democrats EVULZ.  

Also:

Completely agree with him. If these folks keep using drugs time and time again, it should not be on society and taxpayers to keep them alive. This is not like having cops or EMTs carrying epipens or portable defribilators on clean folks having a reaction or heart troubles. These are people that made the choice to get hooked and stay hooked knowing the potential deadly consequences.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #1812 on: July 09, 2017, 03:29:31 PM »

Not to start a squabble in this squabble free thread (lol), but here's my view

1) Whether it's the NYT or Dems lionizing Adam Schiff, it's a broader liberal sentiment that RussiaGate is a Top Matter Of Public Discussion That People Will Care About.

It's really not. The investigation should proceed, and the Dems should highlight the process occasionally, but what GOTFan said was true; the American people don't really care.

2) Again, not like Russiagate isn't worth discussion, or that Russia is currently a geopolitical adversary. But the tone and emphasis has been WAY out of whack wrt to what comes out of Democratic/Liberal Washington. Bernie gets that, and the level of emphasis that occurs is basically correct: issue a statement when something big happens, continue pushing procedurally, but when you're communicating with the public you're talking about issues they actually give a flip about.

3) Yeah sure. But again, as someone on the left (and as someone who likes to think he knows something about politics) the degree of emphasis placed on Russia is deeply frustrating.

4) This is an academic distinction. Yes, Third Way has become a short hand for something other than the literal DLC. Whoop-de-do. I'm so impressed that you pointed this out.

5) Again, emphasis, emphasis, emphasis. I think Booker is actually figuring this out quicker than most (much to my chagrin, he actually seems pretty smart at the inside game).

6) "logical fallacy" I don't think it's outrageous to think of public attention as zero sum. If you're spending time talking to them about one thing you're not talking to them about something else. And if the thing you're talking about is some boring, holier than thou droning about "our sacred processes are being violated! Very unfair! Treason!" then you're going to turn people off. 
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1813 on: July 09, 2017, 04:15:45 PM »

I don't say this a lot but BRTD is completely correct in this instance.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1814 on: July 09, 2017, 04:35:20 PM »

6) "logical fallacy" I don't think it's outrageous to think of public attention as zero sum. If you're spending time talking to them about one thing you're not talking to them about something else. And if the thing you're talking about is some boring, holier than thou droning about "our sacred processes are being violated! Very unfair! Treason!" then you're going to turn people off.  

I mean the Russia story is what the media really cares about. It's what they believe will get them ratings, and it seems to be doing just that so far. The Democratic Party can't control them on that front, and they certainly cannot control the New York Times.

All I really have to add is that Democrats are going to keep pressing Republicans/Trump on Russia and Mueller's investigation, but they will also push them on healthcare and the economy as well. It's like Griffin said in another thread, it's not either/or. Campaigns have negatives and positives. It would be a massive strategic blunder to not hit Trump/Republicans on the Russia investigation (especially if it yields indictments) and any other negatives that play well, but at the same time, you pitch healthcare and jobs as a positive. You also hit Trump/Republicans on failing to deliver for their voters.

Driving down Trump's negatives in a presidential election where his opponent is equally as unpopular is bad strategy, but in a midterm which is historically seen as a referendum on the president, then yes, part of your strategy must be to drive down Trump + Republican approvals. You hit them on healthcare/failing to deliver and offer your pitch, but you have to hit them where it hurts.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1815 on: July 09, 2017, 06:36:38 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2017, 10:36:31 AM by TexasGurl »

Having grown up in a very toxic environment due to drug using family members, I can definitely relate to that gut reaction sentiment. It's not the right response but when it hits you personally and society is focused just as much on sympathizing with the drug user as it is with victims of one's drug use then yeah people will begin to harbor resentment. I don't know their personal situations, but that's exactly how I felt for years until I began to evolve from that POV.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1816 on: July 09, 2017, 07:21:10 PM »

Not to start a squabble in this squabble free thread (lol), but here's my view

1) Whether it's the NYT or Dems lionizing Adam Schiff, it's a broader liberal sentiment that RussiaGate is a Top Matter Of Public Discussion That People Will Care About.

It's really not. The investigation should proceed, and the Dems should highlight the process occasionally, but what GOTFan said was true; the American people don't really care.

2) Again, not like Russiagate isn't worth discussion, or that Russia is currently a geopolitical adversary. But the tone and emphasis has been WAY out of whack wrt to what comes out of Democratic/Liberal Washington. Bernie gets that, and the level of emphasis that occurs is basically correct: issue a statement when something big happens, continue pushing procedurally, but when you're communicating with the public you're talking about issues they actually give a flip about.

3) Yeah sure. But again, as someone on the left (and as someone who likes to think he knows something about politics) the degree of emphasis placed on Russia is deeply frustrating.

4) This is an academic distinction. Yes, Third Way has become a short hand for something other than the literal DLC. Whoop-de-do. I'm so impressed that you pointed this out.

5) Again, emphasis, emphasis, emphasis. I think Booker is actually figuring this out quicker than most (much to my chagrin, he actually seems pretty smart at the inside game).

1. So if the investigation should proceed, what's wrong with the NYTimes reporting on things like that? The post seemed to indicate that it shouldn't. Also polls do show people care about it, maybe not as the top priority issue, but I don't think anyone actually claimed that.

2...and that's basically what all the Democrats are doing. Seriously. The only people hammering about Russia and nothing else are kooks like Louise Mensch, and she's a right-winger anyway.

I mean go watch John Oliver, Stephen Colbert, Samantha Bee, Trevor Noah and Seth Meyers. Do they talk about and attack Trump for Russia connections a lot? Absolutely. Do they talk about domestic issue and attack the Republicans on these well? UH, ABSOLUTELY F[INKS]ING YES.

3. Once again, is this from actual Democratic leaders and liberal figures, or Louise Mensch-style kooks?

Also the post indicated the Democrats are not talking about healthcare. That. Is. Simply. Not. True. It's an objective bald-faced lie.

4. If words start getting used in such a sense, they become meaning and inane. See "Reagan Democrats". Or imagine if a more moderate Republican in Congress was referred to as a "Rockefeller Republican", you can see what I mean.

"Third Way" refers to a very specific and timely political current, it does not mean "Democrat who is more moderate on some issues than I like".

5. Cory Booker is talking about Russia more than domestic issues? Seriously?

6. Were the Republicans able to effectively both rave about "BENGHAZI!" and attack Obama's policies and agenda? I mean it's sad yeah, but it worked. As Virginia noted, these things aren't exactly separate either, the Russia stuff dogging Trump and hurting his approval and political capital is also playing a big role in dragging the Republicans' healthcare bills.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1817 on: July 09, 2017, 07:36:39 PM »

So hardline that he was one of only 2 Senators to vote against this anti Russia bill.
https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=115&session=1&vote=00147

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Cory Booker gave a speech at an event hosted by Third Way.
https://atomicinsights.com/senator-cory-booker-d-nj-supports-nuclear-because-it-reduces-air-pollution/
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1818 on: July 09, 2017, 07:55:21 PM »

He didn't oppose the Russia sanctions in it. He voted for the amendment adding them to bill. This is his reasoning for his final vote against the bill:
https://twitter.com/gzornick/status/875414145503559682/photo/1

Supporting nuclear as a reduction in air pollution sounds pretty fine to me actually.

OK so it appears there is now a think tank literally called "Third Way". It's nowhere near as influential as the long-defunct DLC, and is not what's being referred to when most people speak of "Third Way". Anyway my point was never even to defend Booker, just point out that the argument the Democrats are talking about Russia to not talk about domestic issues to help people like him is completely false and makes no sense.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1819 on: July 09, 2017, 08:11:13 PM »

Under Miliband, it was a lot closer. They leaned Tory, but it was far from unanimous.

Under Corbyn, expect them to vote like US African-Americans. We've been here before. We know an existential threat when we see it.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1820 on: July 09, 2017, 08:15:42 PM »

Under Miliband, it was a lot closer. They leaned Tory, but it was far from unanimous.

Under Corbyn, expect them to vote like US African-Americans. We've been here before. We know an existential threat when we see it.
This is a good post.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1821 on: July 09, 2017, 10:18:16 PM »

This is a good post.

Except it was debunked by an actual good post:

The thing is; they quite clearly didn't.  You look at the places that have reasonably large Jewish populations (mostly in London) and although they are distinct from London in terms of the swing to Labour being quite a bit less than the London average; there was still a swing to Labour.  If there was some monolithic shift away from Labour amongst the Jewish community: the size of the community in those few seats should have caused a swing to the Tories but that did not happen.

e: Probably the big example is Hendon: 17% Jewish; Labour/Tory marginal seat (since it was recreated in 1997, its been a bellwether).  In 2017; there was a 2.7% swing from the Conservatives to Labour in the seat; which can't possibly have happened if the Jewish vote was as monolithically Conservative in 2017.  I assume that it probably swung towards the Tories; but less than the poll below suggests (from what I recall; it was taken a couple of weeks before polling day, when the overall polls swung quite strongly towards Labour).  The same thing happened in Finchley and Golders Green as well: 21.1% Jewish: bellwether since 1997: 4% swing from the Tories to Labour.  Both seats were below the London average or even what you see in other seats around (Chipping Barnet had a 6.9% swing to Labour and the Tories only just held it; that seat has never been won by Labour) and the Jewish vote most likely saved both for the Tories - but it isn't as monolithic as you suggest.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1822 on: July 10, 2017, 12:37:41 AM »

This is a good post.

Except it was debunked by an actual good post:

The thing is; they quite clearly didn't.  You look at the places that have reasonably large Jewish populations (mostly in London) and although they are distinct from London in terms of the swing to Labour being quite a bit less than the London average; there was still a swing to Labour.  If there was some monolithic shift away from Labour amongst the Jewish community: the size of the community in those few seats should have caused a swing to the Tories but that did not happen.

e: Probably the big example is Hendon: 17% Jewish; Labour/Tory marginal seat (since it was recreated in 1997, its been a bellwether).  In 2017; there was a 2.7% swing from the Conservatives to Labour in the seat; which can't possibly have happened if the Jewish vote was as monolithically Conservative in 2017.  I assume that it probably swung towards the Tories; but less than the poll below suggests (from what I recall; it was taken a couple of weeks before polling day, when the overall polls swung quite strongly towards Labour).  The same thing happened in Finchley and Golders Green as well: 21.1% Jewish: bellwether since 1997: 4% swing from the Tories to Labour.  Both seats were below the London average or even what you see in other seats around (Chipping Barnet had a 6.9% swing to Labour and the Tories only just held it; that seat has never been won by Labour) and the Jewish vote most likely saved both for the Tories - but it isn't as monolithic as you suggest.

Yes, but I thought the whole "Jeremy Corbyn is an existential threat to British Jews" part is what made it deluge worthy.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1823 on: July 10, 2017, 08:00:29 AM »

Wrong thread, should be in the Virginia Society.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1824 on: July 10, 2017, 11:25:13 AM »

Wrong thread, should be in the Virginia Society.

Uh Virginia explained on this very page why it's a garbage post. Its also in a thread about a NYTimes article, not the Democratic Party and to say the Democrats aren't talking about healthcare...OH GIVE ME A F[INKS]ING BREAK.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies