The Klartext Landfill for Absurd, Ignorant, and Deplorable Posts VI
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:17:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Klartext Landfill for Absurd, Ignorant, and Deplorable Posts VI
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 77
Author Topic: The Klartext Landfill for Absurd, Ignorant, and Deplorable Posts VI  (Read 149873 times)
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1000 on: March 06, 2017, 12:48:48 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=260171.msg5555706#msg5555706

This post is so long that I won't even bother to quote it here, but I don't think it's a total exaggeration to call this one of the worst posts in Atlas history.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1001 on: March 06, 2017, 03:53:30 PM »

Can't we have a TNVol/Vosem ticket instead?

As long as Vosem doesn't have any influence in picking SCOTUS justices (or supports picking pro-life ones only), I support this.

-I disfavor the banning of all abortion (or worse, selectively banning the abortion of the unfit, as in Pence's Indiana), but I strongly support overturning Roe v. Wade, Brown v. Board, Obergefell v. Hodges, and other feel-good Constitution-shredding decisions. My favorite Supreme Court Justice currently is Thomas. I completely oppose a living Constitution, which is nothing more than a dead one unmoored from the text.

Adding to his legend.

There's also the unbelievably creepy, everything-old-is-new-again use of the word "unfit" to describe the congenitally disabled.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #1002 on: March 06, 2017, 04:14:50 PM »

His Senate seat belongs to Colleen Hanabusa, he's not a real Senator in my eyes.
I'm sure you can figure out who he's talking about pretty easily.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1003 on: March 06, 2017, 04:16:06 PM »

His Senate seat belongs to Colleen Hanabusa, he's not a real Senator in my eyes.
It's true, though.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #1004 on: March 06, 2017, 04:20:14 PM »

It's true, though.
Thank you for posting directly into the thread.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1005 on: March 07, 2017, 03:34:23 PM »

Only Trump could have brought in millions of first time voters and flipped the WCWs in the Great Lakes region.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #1006 on: March 07, 2017, 03:56:23 PM »

Only Trump could have brought in millions of first time voters and flipped the WCWs in the Great Lakes region.

-Mixed opinion of this. I don't think any other candidate could have won Ohio by 8 points, but I do think other candidates could have easily won Ohio by some smaller margin.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #1007 on: March 07, 2017, 05:58:39 PM »

Was she the best choice for the nominee of the Party in 2016 in an anti-establishment year?

Who says Bernie would have been better? Remember, Feingold lost to Johnson in Wisconsin. It's not guaranteed Bernie would have won. Trump had to fend off 16 tough GOP candidates and then took on the Clinton machine, something Bernie could not do.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1008 on: March 08, 2017, 09:01:27 AM »

Was she the best choice for the nominee of the Party in 2016 in an anti-establishment year?

Who says Bernie would have been better? Remember, Feingold lost to Johnson in Wisconsin. It's not guaranteed Bernie would have won. Trump had to fend off 16 tough GOP candidates and then took on the Clinton machine, something Bernie could not do.
A toughie:
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #1009 on: March 08, 2017, 09:18:05 AM »

A toughie:

Don't forget Lil Marco
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #1010 on: March 08, 2017, 12:19:17 PM »

Can I just add "everything EnglishPete has ever said on this forum"?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1011 on: March 08, 2017, 12:22:09 PM »

Please don't make us all have to actually lay eyes on that
Eharding

« Reply #1012 on: March 08, 2017, 01:12:11 PM »

-EnglishPete is one of the best posters here. Almost on Michael Tracey's level of sheer common sense.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1013 on: March 08, 2017, 03:48:43 PM »

-EnglishPete is one of the best posters here. Almost on Michael Tracey's level of sheer common sense.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1014 on: March 08, 2017, 03:54:37 PM »

i think that comparison would be unfair to englishpete who has got the obvious advantage of being a potential troll.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1015 on: March 09, 2017, 08:36:14 PM »

They've clearly embraced the label (along with the now-infamous "deplorable") as a badge of honor and successfully weaponized it against us. And it's paid off for them handsomely, if the number of elected offices in the US held by the GOP is any indication.

Rule #1 in electoral politics (or at the very least, one of the top 5): Never give the opposition a chance to paint you as an arrogant, condescending elitist who is out-of-touch with the uh, "commoners." For any political party, this can be a real albatross; for a left-wing or at least, vaguely center-left party whose policy platform is designed for the benefit of the "common people" (in theory if not always in practice) and whose representatives have traditionally styled themselves as representing the interests of the People against the rich, the powerful, and the privileged, this can be fatal.

And to those who say that "why does it matter what I say about Republican voters, I'm not a politician or running for office": A lot of Republican voters (and more importantly for these purposes, downscale voters (even if only relatively downscale) who may not be naturally inclined to vote Republican but deeply resent any hint of smug condescension toward them from upper-middle class people with university educations - regardless of whether it comes from the Woke crowd or the National Review) editorial board) have this thing called the Internet. And they use it. And many of them read websites or forums like this one. And some of them even post on said forums - including this one.

I know that I've been far from perfect about this myself, and no, no one on the Democratic side has any obligation to start agreeing with Republicans or right-wing politics in general. Far from it. But can those of us who are of a Left-ish bent at least acknowledge the fact that for a critically large number of Americans - particularly Americans who vote - we have utterly failed in the sense that they genuinely don't believe that we have any respect for them as people (forget politics for a minute here)? And can we also agree that this has put the Democratic Party's electoral prospects at ALL levels of government in peril?

I think it's pretty obvious that the Democrats have failed at least as much as the Republicans have succeeded (isn't the Republican Party as a whole less popular than noted loyal Republican politico Donald Trump among the party's voters? lol). And I don't see how any supporter of Democrats could be remotely satisfied with this situation. What am I missing here?

The problem with what you're saying, which does have some good arguments to be made in your favor, is that really,  I don't have any respect for Republicans/Trumpers as people. They are willfully ignorant, lack empathy, and possess all the reasoning skills and self-awareness of a glob of mud. They have failed at being human beings.

I do not think any response or strategy that does not acknowledge up front that modern Republicans/Trumpers are terrible human beings has any chance at success. They have made it clear that empathy, reason, shame,  enlightened self-interest and all the other ways human beings use to peacefully resolve disputes are not anything they are interested in. They acknowledge (barely) laws and government only because they're the ones in control. They are, and will, continue to abuse the societal contract until it breaks. And then they'll use that as "justification" for more tyranny.

They can either go through the slow and painful process of educating themselves. (Not that I think it's very likely.) Or they can wait and end up the same way the last generation of fascists did at the end of WWII, when the rest of the world joined forces to punch fascism in the face.

Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1016 on: March 09, 2017, 08:39:43 PM »

They've clearly embraced the label (along with the now-infamous "deplorable") as a badge of honor and successfully weaponized it against us. And it's paid off for them handsomely, if the number of elected offices in the US held by the GOP is any indication.

Rule #1 in electoral politics (or at the very least, one of the top 5): Never give the opposition a chance to paint you as an arrogant, condescending elitist who is out-of-touch with the uh, "commoners." For any political party, this can be a real albatross; for a left-wing or at least, vaguely center-left party whose policy platform is designed for the benefit of the "common people" (in theory if not always in practice) and whose representatives have traditionally styled themselves as representing the interests of the People against the rich, the powerful, and the privileged, this can be fatal.

And to those who say that "why does it matter what I say about Republican voters, I'm not a politician or running for office": A lot of Republican voters (and more importantly for these purposes, downscale voters (even if only relatively downscale) who may not be naturally inclined to vote Republican but deeply resent any hint of smug condescension toward them from upper-middle class people with university educations - regardless of whether it comes from the Woke crowd or the National Review) editorial board) have this thing called the Internet. And they use it. And many of them read websites or forums like this one. And some of them even post on said forums - including this one.

I know that I've been far from perfect about this myself, and no, no one on the Democratic side has any obligation to start agreeing with Republicans or right-wing politics in general. Far from it. But can those of us who are of a Left-ish bent at least acknowledge the fact that for a critically large number of Americans - particularly Americans who vote - we have utterly failed in the sense that they genuinely don't believe that we have any respect for them as people (forget politics for a minute here)? And can we also agree that this has put the Democratic Party's electoral prospects at ALL levels of government in peril?

I think it's pretty obvious that the Democrats have failed at least as much as the Republicans have succeeded (isn't the Republican Party as a whole less popular than noted loyal Republican politico Donald Trump among the party's voters? lol). And I don't see how any supporter of Democrats could be remotely satisfied with this situation. What am I missing here?

The problem with what you're saying, which does have some good arguments to be made in your favor, is that really,  I don't have any respect for Republicans/Trumpers as people. They are willfully ignorant, lack empathy, and possess all the reasoning skills and self-awareness of a glob of mud. They have failed at being human beings.

I do not think any response or strategy that does not acknowledge up front that modern Republicans/Trumpers are terrible human beings has any chance at success. They have made it clear that empathy, reason, shame,  enlightened self-interest and all the other ways human beings use to peacefully resolve disputes are not anything they are interested in. They acknowledge (barely) laws and government only because they're the ones in control. They are, and will, continue to abuse the societal contract until it breaks. And then they'll use that as "justification" for more tyranny.

They can either go through the slow and painful process of educating themselves. (Not that I think it's very likely.) Or they can wait and end up the same way the last generation of fascists did at the end of WWII, when the rest of the world joined forces to punch fascism in the face.

Wow lol
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1017 on: March 09, 2017, 08:52:07 PM »

Runeghost is probably just a 15-year old kid who gets bullied at school and tries to be #edgy and compensate on Atlas.
So he's basically like a young Jeb Bush.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1018 on: March 09, 2017, 09:40:56 PM »

Ed Markey, obviously. I wrote in Colleen Hanabusa in the primary between him and Lynch. Tongue
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1019 on: March 10, 2017, 01:39:56 AM »

A toughie:

Don't forget Lil Marco

And of course, Jim Gilmore. By far one of the most pointless campaigns ever.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1020 on: March 11, 2017, 12:22:52 AM »

The VRA is nothing more than a money making machine for trial lawyers. If Paul Ryan had any sense, he should stand for its immediate repeal.

It may be a far better use of resources to just assume whatever eharding is posting is awful, but here's for special one for the archives.
Eharding

« Reply #1021 on: March 11, 2017, 12:25:37 AM »

The VRA is nothing more than a money making machine for trial lawyers. If Paul Ryan had any sense, he should stand for its immediate repeal.

It may be a far better use of resources to just assume whatever eharding is posting is awful, but here's for special one for the archives.

-Look at its actual consequences today. That's what it is. Seriously, placing more power into the hands of arbitrary judges' whims is a very bad thing. It's good for the trial lawyers, but for nobody else. Not even the judges.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1022 on: March 11, 2017, 12:59:34 AM »

And yet you still don't get why I put that here.
Eharding

« Reply #1023 on: March 11, 2017, 01:19:29 AM »

And yet you still don't get why I put that here.

-Yes; I'm more than aware of the voting restrictions placed by the governments of Louisiana and Mississippi before the VRA. I'm also more than aware of they haven't existed for over half a century, and will never return, VRA or not.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1024 on: March 11, 2017, 02:46:50 AM »

I'm also more than aware of they haven't existed for over half a century, and will never return, VRA or not.

And doesn't that just eat you up inside?
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies