The Klartext Landfill for Absurd, Ignorant, and Deplorable Posts VI (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:31:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Klartext Landfill for Absurd, Ignorant, and Deplorable Posts VI (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Klartext Landfill for Absurd, Ignorant, and Deplorable Posts VI  (Read 151789 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: October 16, 2016, 10:26:19 PM »

Deplorable State outside The Big Easy.

So every state you disagree with politically is deplorable? Come on, you're better than this.

No, just most southern ones.

This is getting old. Until 2008, most people on this forum were probably calling VA and NC deplorable states.

In my defense, the South sucking goes back to 1607, and improving only nominally on its own since.

Fixed, in a sense.

Let's not forget the Lost Colony of Roanoke (1587).  The original deplorables.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 09:57:50 AM »

Deplorable State outside The Big Easy.

So every state you disagree with politically is deplorable? Come on, you're better than this.

No, just most southern ones.

This is getting old. Until 2008, most people on this forum were probably calling VA and NC deplorable states.

In my defense, the South sucking goes back to 1607, and improving only nominally on its own since.

Fixed, in a sense.

Let's not forget the Lost Colony of Roanoke (1587).  The original deplorables.

I guess so in the sense that colonialism in general is bad, but I don't think they had slavery there.

Totally failed to Make America Great the first time.  Low Energy losers.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 12:47:09 PM »

Your party is in denial. While I agree the while "Didn't vote for Obama and Hillary" thing is anathema to the base, but if your party just became pro-coal, it would pick up a lot of votes in Oklahoma, Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Virginia, while losing basically no one.

Probably the dumbest thing regarding energy politics I've ever seen posted on here.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 02:11:04 PM »

North Carolina is an interesting state because there was never any historic reason to think it could become a brain state, but it has.  It just needs to cast off the final shackles of it's mud eating past and hopefully will.

I few months back I read this new history book (highly recommended)

about the history of poor white people in America and how they were viewed by the political and intellectual elite.  It was interesting that even within the South, NC was viewed as the worst of the worst (especially by VA and SC), mainly because much of it was swampy sandy and there was no decent natural port.  It was a land of lazy mud eaters and blockheads who were prone to aiding smugglers avoiding Charleston and Norfolk.  Later, Tobacco and Textiles did NC no great favors and then lo and behold the Research Triangle comes into being.  Charlotte became a center of Finance.  Even outposts like Asheville and Wilmington are far more brainy than most of their contemporaries.

It's a rare example of people overcoming geography and history.  Still, there are the substantial regressive Helmsian elements in the state who, if they don't necessarily yearn for the days of tobacco and textiles, do yearn for the political closed mindedness and control that went along with those days.

As for my choice of pejorative, well, I'm afraid the aforementioned book above increased my vocabulary ten fold which probably isn't a great thing, as I'm willing to use it if I think the shoe fits.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies