What most concerns or upsets you about the current state of the US? (v3)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:22:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What most concerns or upsets you about the current state of the US? (v3)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What most concerns or upsets you about the current state of the US? (v3)
Income Inequality / Affording healthcare, college, childcare, housing, energy, food, transportation, retirement, leave

Race-fuelled violence / Police shootings / Bigotry / Riots / need of Criminal Justice & Voting Reform / Civil Rights

Greenhouse gas emissions / climate change

the state of our Public Schools

the state of our Infrastructure

Addiction / Substance Abuse / Heroin epidemic / Mental healthcare

Mass Shootings / Gun Violence

Big Banks / superPACs

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: What most concerns or upsets you about the current state of the US? (v3)  (Read 379 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 11, 2016, 12:10:52 AM »
« edited: October 13, 2016, 07:49:23 PM by Blue3 »

What is most concerning or upsetting to you about the current state of the USA, and why?

v2: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=247542.0
v1: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=246335.0

For me, my top 4 here are race/police issues, affordability, public school issues, and gun violence

-our current Race issues are deeply unsettlingly and uncomfortable to me, I didn't think our country would be here again

-so many not being able to afford so much, while not disturbing or shocking like the race/police issues, is still perpetually concerning despite it being accepted as the status quo by so many

-having worked in schools in various roles now, the state of some of our public schools is appalling

-Gun Violence, while taking the backseat to police violence recently, is still very disturbing and concerning

Addiction / Mental Health would be #5

Infrastructure would be #6

Much farther down is climate change. It's happening, we have to deal with it, and we are dealing with it. First step was to get off foreign oil, and that's basically done. We've exponentially grown the clean energy sector since Obama became President. There's still more to do, but we are actually making great progress here. I'm optimistic. Some climate change is unavoidable now, it's already happening now, but for what we do have control over we are making great strides and I feel good as long as we continue the path we are on.

Big Banks/superPACs just aren't a big issue with me. Concerns with them are more about the means than the ends. It would be nice to only have local/regional credit unions and no superPACS, but simply the existence of Big Banks is not the end of the world (especially after Dodd-Frank), and while I really sincerely wish we had a public funding system the advent of SuperPACs hasn't brought about the end and progressives have learned how to make them work for us too.

EDIT:

poll closed

round 4: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=248339.0
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 12:18:17 AM »

Inequality, climate change, state of public schools, and addiction, but they're all deeply troubling.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 12:24:51 AM »

Inequality / racism / schools / money in politics
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 08:08:06 PM »

Please explain your answers too, especially now that we're in round 3.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies