What are the Procedures for Voiding an Early Vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:39:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What are the Procedures for Voiding an Early Vote?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What are the Procedures for Voiding an Early Vote?  (Read 505 times)
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 11, 2016, 09:45:46 AM »

With Trump's recent scandal (and likely more to come), I would assume that his polling numbers, as well as his support, will fall. For those unfortunate souls that cast an early vote for him but now want change their vote, is there any way they can? How does this vary state by state?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 11:21:42 AM »

With Trump's recent scandal (and likely more to come), I would assume that his polling numbers, as well as his support, will fall. For those unfortunate souls that cast an early vote for him but now want change their vote, is there any way they can? How does this vary state by state?

In Georgia, it's not possible to cancel or modify an early vote.  I can't speak to other states, but I would be surprised if any of them allow it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 11:23:14 AM »

NY is simple. You vote absentee. Then you go vote in person. The election authorities simply don't open you absentee ballot envelop, if you ended up voting in person on election day.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 11:58:36 AM »

NY is simple. You vote absentee. Then you go vote in person. The election authorities simply don't open you absentee ballot envelop, if you ended up voting in person on election day.

That's interesting.  Georgia explicitly disallows this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

O.C.G.A. 21-2-388 (2010)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 04:43:39 PM »

In South Carolina, an person who has been issued an absentee ballot can't vote at their precinct unless they return the ballot unmarked.

That suggests a way to disrupt an election. Send in at the last moment by mail forged requests for absentee ballots and thereby block the person from voting unless they return the ballot in a timely fashion, which they might not if they don't regularly check their mail.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 04:49:51 PM »

Oregon is all Vote by Mail (VbM) so once you drop your ballot off on any one of multiple drop-sites, put a stamp on it and send it through the mail, or drop it off in-person at the County courthouse, there is no take-back.

Cali--- (Please someone correct me if I'm wrong) if you request a mail ballot and then decide to vote in person you have a provisional ballot and your mail in ballot is never opened and shredded and your same day vote negates a mail-in ballot. I believe that's my understanding from the 2016 Dem Primary in Cali that was a subject of much discussion because of the extensive amount of time it takes for the state to finalize vote counts.

Washington---- We have a bunch of people on the forum that can speak to this, but I believe it's basically the same bag as Oregon. Once you do your VbM it's done over and gone and no means to change your mind once your ballot is "in the mail".

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 05:04:20 PM »

I'm surprised that New York lets you cancel out an absentee vote with a poll vote.  Every other jurisdiction I've worked in considers you voted as soon as you cast your first ballot, and anything else is invalid.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 05:10:14 PM »

For those unfortunate souls that cast an early vote for him but now want change their vote

haha.  Um, can I get a do-over?

People like this remind us why democracy is overrated.

I have no idea what the law in Pennsylvania is, but I'd guess that it's a felony to vote again on election day once you have already voted, although I doubt anyone enforces such laws.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies