VA-10: Dem Internal Finds Bennett up 4 on Comstock
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:35:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-10: Dem Internal Finds Bennett up 4 on Comstock
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: VA-10: Dem Internal Finds Bennett up 4 on Comstock  (Read 1730 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2016, 05:39:58 PM »

Wow a lot of vitriol for Bobby Scott. Don't know why, he's never done anything embarrassing, has a solid voting record, and while he hasn't shown himself to be a strong fundraiser, he doesn't really need to in a district as D leaning as his. I'd certainly rather have him than either Beyer or Connolly.

I have nothing against Bobby Scott per say (if electability weren't an issue, he'd be among my top choices to fill the vacancy tbh) and wouldn't mind so much if there were more of a cushion in the Senate (ex: if we had a 52-48 or 53-47 majority which, while possible, is still pretty unlikely), I just really don't think an African-American liberal from Newport News with weak fundraising, no experience running in a non-safe Democratic district, much less in a truly competitive race is going to hold a Virginia Senate seat against even a generic Republican in an off-off year election with a Democratic President who will probably be pretty unpopular.  Given those circumstances, Beyer and Connolly would both be much stronger candidates to keep the seat in Democratic hands.  Plus, Scott will be 71 by the time the special election rolls around.  

That all being said, if you want to go with a solid liberal who has proven that he can run far ahead of his party and hold his own in a tough environment and/or don't want to pick someone from NOVA for whatever reason, why not appoint Tom Perriello?
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2016, 05:44:28 PM »

As a Republican, Don Beyer has always been the potential appointee (of the three Democratic Congressmen) who scares me the most. He won statewide in 1993, a terrible year fr Virginia Democrats, and, despite being aligned with the Progressive Caucus in Congress, has always had crossover appeal. He is very wealthy, a string fundraiser, and as a former Lieutenant Governor has ran and won statewide. Scott is a weak choice due to reasons Malcolm X and I have stated.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2016, 06:18:20 PM »

As a Republican, Don Beyer has always been the potential appointee (of the three Democratic Congressmen) who scares me the most. He won statewide in 1993, a terrible year fr Virginia Democrats, and, despite being aligned with the Progressive Caucus in Congress, has always had crossover appeal. He is very wealthy, a string fundraiser, and as a former Lieutenant Governor has ran and won statewide. Scott is a weak choice due to reasons Malcolm X and I have stated.

I definitely agree that Don Beyer is both a great way for us to get a "stealth" liberal Senator in that seat with the potential to become entrenched in another cycle or two and one of our (well...my side's) strongest potential candidates for precisely those reasons.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies