The rise and rise of Evan McMullin (formerly Egg McMuffin) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:52:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The rise and rise of Evan McMullin (formerly Egg McMuffin) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The rise and rise of Evan McMullin (formerly Egg McMuffin)  (Read 13354 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« on: October 12, 2016, 03:57:48 PM »
« edited: October 12, 2016, 03:59:44 PM by Simfan34 »

So we may very well end up with an election where third party candidates receive electoral votes and more than 5% of the popular vote-- and these would be different candidates! I have to say, reading McMullin's bio on Wikipedia I have to say I'm impressed. While I'm not sure this qualifies him to be president-- although he's probably more suited, qualifications-wise, than Trump-- it's a CV that most people could only dream of:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I mean, that's an impressive career, and this guy's only 40! Now he might be able to add "Was first third-party candidate since 1968 to win a state." If Hatch retires in 2018 I imagine he'd be an early front-runner, as a proven favorite son.

Also, considering he volunteered for the UN in Amman, he's certainly going to know where Aleppo is. Tongue
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 04:03:30 PM »

Here is his LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/devanmcmullin

I mean, I have no idea what his political positions are, but I can't help but envy his resume. He'd be qualified for basically any kind of professional (non-technical) work. I assume he's pretty conservative, but given what we've seen of Mormons I imagine he has a respectable amount of personal integrity.

Again, bearing in mind I know nothing about his views other than that they comprise "principled conservatism", I'd probably write him in had Sanders been the Democratic nominee and Bloomberg not run.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 04:08:42 PM »
« Edited: August 30, 2017, 12:58:14 PM by Simfan34 »

In the unlikely event he wins utah and the election is close enough that the electoral college gets deadlocked I can easily see the house voting for him over Trump

President McMullin, eh? Barely knowing anything about him I would take him for President over our other options.
I'm saying that the scenario is very unlikely but I Have no doubt Paul Ryan and other house leaders would throw their support to McMullin in a heartbeat

He should have waited another week to name his VP. If he had he could've reeled in someone big.

He also sounds insufficiently conservative for this guy. That could only be good. It notes that "He’s a big fan of microloans and other ways to make African women into leaders and entrepreneurs." Microfinance may not longer be the hottest thing around but any person who prioritises development cooperation enough to put it on their platform will earn points from me.

To be fair I think his chances of winning Utah are being overrated by this forum. But he is, in my view, far more deserving of our attention than Jill Stein.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 04:35:52 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2016, 04:39:48 PM by Simfan34 »

Huntsman is exactly the sort of person I'd see endorsing him. I still don't understand what compelled him to endorse Trump in the first place. I also bet Weld is thinking he chose to run on the wrong ticket.

Vosem also said this back in August:

Presumably this is an opening act for either UT-Sen 2018 or UT-Gov 2020? More likely the former.

Well, his chances just got 10 percent higher!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 04:48:16 PM »

Actually, imagine if Jon Huntsman was running as the "independent conservative", with McMullin as his VP. I wonder how much better he'd be doing now.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 06:44:18 AM »

Makes me wonder how David French or Tom Coburn could have done had they announced earlier, or how Gary johnson could have done if could act normal

Coburn has health issues, French is too unknown. Yeah, if Johnson could have run a solid campaign or if Weld were at the top of the ticket, they could have gotten 20-25% of the popular vote and quite possibly throw the election to the House.

My fantasy earlier in the year was Romney running as an independent. He thought about it, but I think he's genuinely exhausted from running and wants to spend time with his family.

...and this guy?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 07:08:42 PM »

i am shocked how attractive, self-ironic and seemingly anti-sexist, anti-racist mister mcmuffin is.

where does the GOP hide such people?

They don't bother running under normal circumstances, and if they do, their handlers make them behave like reactionary fundamentalists to please The Base.

To his credit, there's no reason he couldn't have run on a Cruz or Huckabee-esque platform. Instead his stated positions are to the left of Romney, and closer to Kasich if not Huntsman.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 08:15:07 PM »

this whole "cuck"-thing leaves the feeling the whole american nazi establishment is run by frat boys.

Their usage "cuck" itself carries, uh, racial overtones, so you get the impression they have a certain kind of genital fixation.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 06:46:30 AM »

I urge American voters from coast to coast to vote for McMullin/Finn in states where they are on the ballot and to vote for them as a write-in in states where they are not on the ballot.

McMullin and Finn will restore honesty and integrity to the American political system.

Finally, Winfield, you've started speaking sense again!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies