Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej dies at 88
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:42:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej dies at 88
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej dies at 88  (Read 1492 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 13, 2016, 07:03:44 AM »

Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej dies at 88 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-37643326
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 07:37:17 AM »

Reigned for 70 years, 126 days.

I was almost convinced he'd outlast us all.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 08:13:43 AM »

RIP. You've got to respect a man who stopped a coup by publicly lecturing the leaders of both sides to be nice. 

So now the keystone of the Thai government will be the corrupt and disliked Vajiralongkorn...whatever is next for Thailand, I doubt it's good.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 09:44:49 AM »

If only we had opebo still to report.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 10:15:17 AM »

Crap.

whatever is next for Thailand, I doubt it's good.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 10:50:10 AM »
« Edited: October 13, 2016, 10:56:39 AM by Simfan34 »

It's official: the CP would "like to wait" before taking the throne. No word on for how long. Straight from Prayuth's mouth. This is a surprise. The (junta-appointed) "Parliament" was supposed to formally recognize his accession to the throne at an extraordinary meeting, but the meeting adjourned without doing so, only holding a nine minute silence.

This means the throne is momentarily vacant, and Privy Council President Gen Prem Tinsulanonda is now acting Regent.

Let's just say General Prem is not the Crown Prince's biggest fan.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2016/10/13/crown-prince-not-ready-take-throne-yet-prayuth-says/
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 11:26:13 AM »

Now we finally get to see the Monarchical Fascists in the Democratic Party suddenly become republicans and the Thaksin supporters go from being ant-monarchist communist traitors into being the institution's biggest defenders.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 12:57:04 PM »

Now we finally get to see the Monarchical Fascists in the Democratic Party suddenly become republicans and the Thaksin supporters go from being ant-monarchist communist traitors into being the institution's biggest defenders.

I've joked about that happening, now we'll see if it does.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 01:00:54 PM »

The King's body will be taken to the Grand Palace and lie in state for a few days before being transferred into an urn in the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, where it will remain for a year. In the meanwhile a massive temporary pagoda (Phra Merumas-- after the mythical Mt Meru) will be built in Sanam Luang-- as has been done for previous royal funerals, probably dwarfing those (more recent kings have had simpler temples, but this may not be the case for Bhumibol, whose reign saw the revival of much of previously discarded ceremonial). The urn will be transferred to the temple in a gargantuan chariot, accompanied by a large procession, at the end of the mourning period, for the funeral where it will finally be cremated.

This is the funeral of the King's cousin, Princess Bejaratana Rajasuda-- it will be like this, except everything will be bigger, if not much bigger'

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 01:22:43 PM »

RIP. You've got to respect a man who stopped a coup by publicly lecturing the leaders of both sides to be nice. 

While endorsing some other coups.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 01:28:12 PM »

It's official: the CP would "like to wait" before taking the throne. No word on for how long. Straight from Prayuth's mouth. This is a surprise. The (junta-appointed) "Parliament" was supposed to formally recognize his accession to the throne at an extraordinary meeting, but the meeting adjourned without doing so, only holding a nine minute silence.

This means the throne is momentarily vacant, and Privy Council President Gen Prem Tinsulanonda is now acting Regent.

Let's just say General Prem is not the Crown Prince's biggest fan.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2016/10/13/crown-prince-not-ready-take-throne-yet-prayuth-says/

Any chance that movement to replace the Crown Prince with Princess Sirindhorn actually comes to pass? I know the idea has died down since the coup leaders seemed to back the Crown Prince, but making one of his opponents the Regent doesn't exactly show the military's confidence in him...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 01:45:03 PM »

To paraphrase Bill from The Terrible Thunderlizards: "when... will... the... couping... stop?"
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 08:40:39 PM »

Adulyadej was overall, definitely more of a good guy than bad guy. Especially if judged by monarch standards. In the 70s he actually opened up the grounds of the royal palace to grant refuge to protesters being slaughtered by the military.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 09:26:04 PM »

Adulyadej was overall, definitely more of a good guy than bad guy. Especially if judged by monarch standards. In the 70s he actually opened up the grounds of the royal palace to grant refuge to protesters being slaughtered by the military.

All in all, I'd agree. For all his faults the man was guided by a clear vision of what his country needed and strove to achieve that vision. All of his biographers, both positive and critical, attest to the sincerity and devotion with which he pursued that end-- no one has made a serious case for it being a mere persona or propagandistic facade. The merits of that vision likewise are ultimately what they're judged to be by his subjects, and the immediately apparent depth of the feeling Thais had for him-- even when bearing in mind that critical views are all but forbidden in public-- should make obvious their judgement.

Paul Handley-- author of The King Never Smiles, the most controversial (and best) biography of the man to date-- made much the same point on Twitter. Whatever he did, no one can deny that he did what he thought was right and good for the country-- and that the country profoundly admired him for it.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 09:30:44 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2016, 09:32:33 PM by Simfan34 »

Anyway, I came to post this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/thai-pm-says-crown-prince-confirms-he-will-perform-duty-as-heir/3204304.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The obliqueness of the quotes are incredibly confusing. What exactly is "his duty as the heir to the throne". It could be to assume the throne. Or it could be to supervise funerary rights. When is the right time? If it for becoming King, the right time is, by law and tradition, now-- technically yesterday, their time. (Albeit, on the merits, the right time would be "never"...)

Meanwhile, in Bangkok...

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2016, 09:48:10 PM »

Well, this is certainly going to be interesting. I just hope it won't be "interesting" in the worst way possible.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2016, 10:54:05 PM »

Given Thailand's history, I sincerely recommend that Vajiralongkorn not play with guns.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2016, 09:38:47 AM »

Given Thailand's history, I sincerely recommend that Vajiralongkorn not play with guns.

Some people like to darkly insinuate that Bhumibol was responsible. I've however never seen anyone claim it would have been anything other than accidental, although the appropriate thing to do in that case would have been to retire to a monastery rather than take the throne. Whatever he knew, he has taken it to his grave.

The incredible thing is that he wouldn't have been the only contemporary monarch to have accidentally killed a sibling-- Juan Carlos of Spain is also widely thought to have shot his younger brother in a remarkably similar incident. But it's just as likely, in my view, that Ananda accidentally killed himself.

Either way, your warning comes too late. The man has a reputation.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2016, 09:48:23 AM »

Well, he has gotten his wish. Sort of:

It is very likely this could lead to a civil war, Simfan, which is the big reason we all fear the end of the current beneficent reign.  That, and the son is thought to be somewhat anti-foreigner (as is Thaksin, obviously).

The best we could hope for would be the old guard having one more trick up their sleeve, and getting rid of the bad seed and the awful red/thaksinites with one beautiful (and probably quite popular) coup.  I dream of seeing that fat lady on the throne and good Abbhisit kneeling before her, being appointed rather than elected.  And somewhere in the background, a certain General P**m, pushing 100, still pulling the strings.  Just my little daydream.

There will not be a civil war, no, but he has gotten his coup, and, for the time being, his general is, for all intents and purposes, on the throne himself.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2016, 06:29:57 PM »

Of course, that doesn't compare to what must genuinely be one of the most bizarre political incidents if our time: the massacre of King Birendra of Nepal and half the royal family by the (supposedly lovelorn) Crown Prince. To add insult to injury, had it never happened, Nepal would probably still be a monarchy today, since Gyanendra, who wound up getting the monarchy abolished after trying to reverse his brother's reforms, would have never become king; although it's chances probably wouldn't have been that great if Prince Dipendra had ever assumed the throne, either (and hadn't been in a coma).

Incidentally Gyanendra's son, the Crown Prince, was later arrested in Thailand on drug charges, which I can't help but feel was on some level meant to send a message to (or about) another Crown Prince...

Anyway, no updates on the succession. Multiple articles in the Thai media about Prem acting as regent, have, however, been taken down, supposedly on their publishers' initiative.

The King's body was driven from Siriraj Hospital to the Grand Palace this afternoon, where the Crown Prince performed the rite of washing the body. The public was invited to join in symbolically washing a portrait (not sure how that works) of the King at the Palace. Later there was an almsgiving for the monks praying at the Dusit Maha Prasat Throne Hall (not the Temple of the Emerald Buddha/Wat Phra Kaew as I said earlier)-- there was an urn on display, but I don't think the King's remains have been placed in it yet. This would be before cremation; the urn will remain in state for over a year until the actual funeral.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2016, 06:48:12 PM »

RIP, FF.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2016, 07:41:23 AM »

Yes, the Nepal royal slaughter is one of the most curious incidents in recent memory - very Shakespearean. I don't blame the Nepalese for immediately constructing conspiracy theories about it.

Although I always wondered why the Thai military didn't silently do away with the Crown Prince. Would it have been too much for them to "accidentally" cut the brakes in one of his cars or something?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2016, 07:57:57 AM »

Yes, the Nepal royal slaughter is one of the most curious incidents in recent memory - very Shakespearean. I don't blame the Nepalese for immediately constructing conspiracy theories about it.

Dipendra was one unlucky fellow. He became a King for three days without ever knowing it.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2016, 08:00:45 AM »

I'm not sure I'd call him an FF. After all he was a bit of a relic from another age (with all that "almost divine" crap) and steadfastly guarded the rotten status quo.

Oh yes, the royal intervention to prevent the coup... but at the same time how many coups did he approved?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2016, 09:47:56 AM »

I'm not sure I'd call him an FF. After all he was a bit of a relic from another age (with all that "almost divine" crap) and steadfastly guarded the rotten status quo.

Oh yes, the royal intervention to prevent the coup... but at the same time how many coups did he approved?

Reported to the Thai authorities for criticizing the king. Wink

In all seriousness, he seems to have restrained the most brutal instincts of the juntas.  As BRTD noted, he granted shelter to those being fired upon by the military.  He arguably kept Thailand together and developed the place.  Also, a monarch in his position could have been pretty awful if he wanted to be, but he was mostly a benevolent king.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies