How should we improve life for veterans?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:23:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  How should we improve life for veterans?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How should we improve life for veterans?  (Read 437 times)
Enduro
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 13, 2016, 07:58:16 PM »

They've earned our respect, and have been treated like crap. How do we improve our treatment of them?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 09:55:52 PM »

Anyone who either has been critically/severely wounded/disabled/injured with or has served over ten years in the reserves or active military is exempted from sales and income tax, and their immediate family is provided unlimited universal healthcare paid for by the government(their spouse for life and their children until the age of twenty-five).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 10:07:25 PM »

Good luck finding anyone to answer no. Tongue
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 11:21:40 PM »

Are you talking to me?

Or did you think the question was "Should we improve life for veterans?"
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 11:24:29 PM »

Are you talking to me?

Or did you think the question was "Should we improve life for veterans?"

Ugh, looks like I'm having serious reading comprehension issues today. Sorry. It was a long day.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 03:49:48 PM »

They've earned our respect, and have been treated like crap. How do we improve our treatment of them?

By not sending them to senseless wars in the first place?

I watched a lot of American veterans docs, and some are quite good, and also amongst what I heard from French soldiers, notably those that did Afghanistan, one of the things that made them suffer a lot beyond all the heavy psychological and physical consequences they can go through, is when most people don't give a f**k or don't understand such or such war, feeling that all what they suffered been useful to...nothing.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 04:53:58 PM »

aha!  That's what immediately occurred to me as well, then I decided not to post it because sardonic rhetorical flair doesn't really answer the question.

I'd start by not charging their families for their funeral.  See to it that surviving veterans get proper post-traumatic clinical service.  The idea is for them to be productive members of the society, contributing to the GDP after their service.  Job placement services might be useful.  Anything that eases the transition back to civilian life is helpful.  Most veterans do well with this, but for those who do not such services could make the difference between marginalization and productive citizenship.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 07:36:05 AM »

aha!  That's what immediately occurred to me as well, then I decided not to post it because sardonic rhetorical flair doesn't really answer the question.
And as long as Americans believe in the stupid lesser of two we'll keep getting in wars.  I had hopes Obama was going to change that, he didn't.  I don't have that hope with Hillary or Trump.  If a voter is anti-war and end up voting for either of them, they're an asshole.  There is a reason the military loves Gary Johnson a lot more than the general public and it's not the weed.

As for the OP, get rid of Vet Hospitals and let Vets get healthcare at regular healthcare places, let the taxpayer cover it or some of it.  How about 20 years active gets you full coverage, 10 years gets you half....so every 5 years served you get 25% of your medical bills paid for.  For years spent in a war zone, times it by 5...maybe 4 so you have to re-enlist at least once to get full benis.  It might be more expensive, but if it means there are fewer suicides and the vets that don't kill themselves get better care, who cares?

(as a Vet, I'm a bit biased)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies