"Repeal the 19th Amendment" is now a thing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:47:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  "Repeal the 19th Amendment" is now a thing
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: "Repeal the 19th Amendment" is now a thing  (Read 2537 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2016, 07:52:57 PM »

but wait I thought a movement to amend the constitution within the next four weeks was serious, but you guys are saying it isnt
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2016, 08:00:37 PM »

Yep, had a street Trump proselytizer earlier today around campus, and he was insisting that the 19th amendment was bogus and that only men should vote because then we would have Trump as president.

This has become a thing, and it's ridiculous. The fact that the most sexist elements of society have revealed themselves with a woman running for president at the top of the ticket just lends more credence to her cause. Honestly, the discourse couldn't be benefiting HRC more.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2016, 08:14:45 PM »

but wait I thought a movement to amend the constitution within the next four weeks was serious, but you guys are saying it isnt

Do you really think a majority of male Trump supporters would pass on amending the Constitution this way if they had the ability to?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2016, 08:21:35 PM »

Oh, so now it's okay to take Twitter hashtags seriously. Roll Eyes

We have a presidential candidate essentially leading his campaign via Twitter.  It's unfortunate; but this is a real way people communicate and how ideas can spread.

The very notion of communicating political ideas in spurts of 140 characters is something that I find profoundly disturbing. Neither measure nor nuance is feasible in such a small space and you get a platform tailor-made for extremism.

Thank you.  I thought I was going crazy.

Word!
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2016, 08:26:28 PM »

Aren't most of the people who use that repeal the 19th amendment just joking to trigger liberals?

I never understood why people think that makes this kind of thing better.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2016, 08:41:04 PM »

Aren't most of the people who use that repeal the 19th amendment just joking to trigger liberals?

Yes and this threads proves they're successful.

It isn't funny.  Women had to work hard to get the right to vote over the course of several decades, and we don't need condescending Trumpeters joking around about taking it away.  Nobody jokes about taking the vote away from men, so women shouldn't be fair game for this sort of treatment either.

Tbh, I've been struggling with my presidential choice this whole year.  First, I was Green until I got alienated by Stein.  I've been going back and forth between Hillary and some eligible write-in choice in NY, but this whole thing about repealing the 19th amendment is really pushing me toward Hillary, not because I support her any more than I did a year ago, but simply in solidarity with women to defend our political and civil rights.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2016, 10:16:08 PM »

It's like the quote I often use as a signature:

"As long as you savor the humorous aspect of misery and misfortune, you can overcome anything." - John Candy
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2016, 10:54:21 PM »

Tbh, I've been struggling with my presidential choice this whole year.  First, I was Green until I got alienated by Stein.  I've been going back and forth between Hillary and some eligible write-in choice in NY, but this whole thing about repealing the 19th amendment is really pushing me toward Hillary, not because I support her any more than I did a year ago, but simply in solidarity with women to defend our political and civil rights.

Just vote Clinton to keep fascism out of America. Pretty simple choice this time around.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2016, 12:36:36 AM »

It's like the quote I often use as a signature:

"As long as you savor the humorous aspect of misery and misfortune, you can overcome anything." - John Candy

Candy was probably talking about one's own misery and misfortune, not others. Ergo folks like Siren are less than amused while folks like you just chuckle chuckle chuckle.

Just sayin'.....
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2016, 10:28:24 AM »

Ann Coulter has been advocating for this for years, and I am not sure she's joking.  Honestly I would probably vote to repeal it.  Think about it pragmatically.  If the country would be better off with conservative values, and women (especially young single women) vote for the opposite, then it would be logical to repeal their right to vote.  I would let them run for office, so that Michele Bachmann and others could serve.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2016, 10:31:41 AM »

Ann Coulter has been advocating for this for years, and I am not sure she's joking.  Honestly I would probably vote to repeal it.  Think about it pragmatically.  If the country would be better off with conservative values, and women (especially young single women) vote for the opposite, then it would be logical to repeal their right to vote.  I would let them run for office, so that Michele Bachmann and others could serve.

If anything we should be disenfranchising scum like you, not women.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2016, 10:40:41 AM »

This is one of those things that only a tiny insignificant group of people believe in but atlas thinks republicans are nazi redneck villains so they believe it's widespread.
BoAtlantis

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2016, 10:45:01 AM »

This is no better than letting only economic PhD's, immigration experts, military generals, environmental scientists, FBI/CIA directors, and Nobel prize winners vote.

Of course, this would holistically skew toward Democrats but since they're playing such game, I can cherry-pick my own too.

It's all or nothing for me. You either stay true to the consistency of democracy and let everyone participate or you limit it to the highly educated folks with expertise in their fields.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2016, 10:45:44 AM »

Let's just give women-only voting a shot for a few election cycles.  That way we can have deplorables like wolfsblood and company stuck crying in a corner every two years.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2016, 10:53:07 AM »

Under SCOTUS decisions since the 19th amendment, a lot more than the 19th amendment would need to be nixed to disenfranchise females.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2016, 10:55:33 AM »

Just when I think I've restored my faith in humanity...
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2016, 02:14:21 PM »

Democracy is about a process, a means; it is not about an ends, but rather granting legitimacy towards the ends that we arrive at. Even if we accept that the ends of repealing the 19th Amendment would be better policy, that those ends would be achieved through immoral means (depriving half of the population of their representation in government) implies that those ends are also illegitimate in nature, for they have not been arrived at with the consent of the governed.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2016, 01:26:22 AM »

Using this logic, I'm guessing you support taking away the votes of minorities as well?
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2016, 12:10:21 PM »

Using this logic, I'm guessing you support taking away the votes of minorities as well?
No.  But I believe in requiring ID.  The thing about repealing the 19th Amendment is a fantasy, never going to happen.  But I guarantee you some arch-conservative women would vote to repeal it!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies