Faithless Elector watch: EC member in Washington won't vote for Hillary.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:08:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Faithless Elector watch: EC member in Washington won't vote for Hillary.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Faithless Elector watch: EC member in Washington won't vote for Hillary.  (Read 1555 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2016, 01:07:10 AM »

In theory, it does this, but in reality, it really doesn't. If small states really had so much influence, then we'd see candidates spending time in them, right?
No, because the outsized influence of small states like Rhode Island and Wyoming has nothing to do with who actually wins those states. It's a matter of mathematics: Rhode Island accounts for roughly 0.3% of the total US population but controls 0.7% of the votes in the electoral college; likewise, Wyoming accounts for approximately 0.2% of the national population yet controls 0.6% of electors. The winner-take-all system only makes things worse, since a simple majority of a state's voters choose 100% of their state's electors. The problem only gets bigger if turnout is lower in small states than in the rest of the country. Basically, the electoral college is guaranteed to distort the outcome no matter who wins each individual state, because it rewards states with small populations and low turnout at the expense of states with large populations and high turnout. It's a horrible system that needs to be done away with (though, of course, it won't be, because this is Congress we're talking about).
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2016, 02:04:12 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2016, 02:06:19 AM by Lyin' Steve »

This guy sounds like such a typical Bernie asshole.  Makes wild, hostile accusations but doesn't actually know why he's making them when he's asked, so he tries to spin mild policy disagreements as the equivalent of those accusations.  Self-righteous and egotistical to the core.  Refuses to take responsibility for his decision and instead blames his children and some random lady, saying "my hands are tied", "I have to think of my children", "I can't just leave my position because I'd be letting down this random lady I've only met once."  And of course he got picked because he was giving an angry speech.

"I know it's my civic duty and what 300 million people are trusting me to do, but I just can't vote for Hillary.  She's a crook, her crookedness is so overwhelming that I have a moral responsibility to break the law by voting against her, I have to be able to look my child in the eye in ten years and tell him I did what I could to stop the apocalypse, I have to be true to myself, if I vote for the crook I'll be a shattered soul, she's just such a crook."

"Why do you think she's a crook?  What evidence do you have of this?"

"Uhhhh... she isn't strong enough on the environment.  And, uh, that's a crime against mother nature."
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies