Which of the following will make it into the history books in 100 years?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:53:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Which of the following will make it into the history books in 100 years?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: 100 years plz
Hillary Clinton

Donald Trump

Gary Johnson

Evan McMullin

Ben Carson

Ted Cruz

John Kasich

Marco Rubio

17 candidates in GOP primary

Trump wall

Trump muslim ban

Trump vs. Megyn Kelly

Mitt Romney condemns Trump

Violent protests at Trump rallies

Jeb Bush spending $100MM

Bernie Sanders

Superdelegate controversy

Bernie goes scorched earth, refuses to drop out

Big Bernie rallies

DNC email hack

Melania steals Michelle's speech

Trump campaign Russian ties (Manafort)

Khizr Khan

Hillary pneumonia issues

General election debates

Alicia Machado

Trump sexual assault admission

Trump and Bernie refusing to release their tax returns

Hillary e-mail server

Clinton foundation + Clinton Cash

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 90

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which of the following will make it into the history books in 100 years?  (Read 1125 times)
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2016, 01:44:35 AM »

In 100 years, when high schoolers are reading their AP U.S. History book and get to this part of our story, what aspects of the 2016 campaign will make it in?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 01:51:21 AM »

I think it's instructive to note that the only aspects of the 1916 campaign that are remembered are that Wilson was reelected narrowly; that he may have won the decisive state, California, only because of tensions between the Republican nominee and the state's Republican Governor; that his campaign slogan was "He Kept Us Out Of War"; and that his central campaign promise of staying out of the European war was broken within less than a year of reelection.

Now, 2016 was a more exciting general election than 1916. But I'd still expect that, in 100 years, the central theme of this election will be summarized in 4 points (maybe 6-7, since this was more of a turning point election than 1916 was), and that at least one of these points will still not be particularly obvious. It's important to note that the election will probably be taught as part of a section on the Hillary Clinton presidency (which itself may only be treated as a subsection of "the early 2000s" or "the 2010s" generally).
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 01:56:57 AM »

I think it's instructive to note that the only aspects of the 1916 campaign that are remembered are that Wilson was reelected narrowly; that he may have won the decisive state, California, only because of tensions between the Republican nominee and the state's Republican Governor; that his campaign slogan was "He Kept Us Out Of War"; and that his central campaign promise of staying out of the European war was broken within less than a year of reelection.

Now, 2016 was a more exciting general election than 1916. But I'd still expect that, in 100 years, the central theme of this election will be summarized in 4 points (maybe 6-7, since this was more of a turning point election than 1916 was), and that at least one of these points will still not be particularly obvious. It's important to note that the election will probably be taught as part of a section on the Hillary Clinton presidency (which itself may only be treated as a subsection of "the early 2000s" or "the 2010s" generally).

That's true, but the elections were also far less drawn-out, exciting or controversial back then.  Candidates were chosen by their party and mostly spent the whole election riding around on trains delivering the same speech.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 02:38:54 AM »

It is hard to say with certainty, but if the Republican party continues on its path to becoming a reactionary nationalist party, which seems likely if Republican primary voters have anything to say about it, then I think this will end up as one of the more closely-covered elections in the history books. I think things like the wall, the Muslim ban, and the rejection of Trump's candidacy from previous nominees like Romney and McCain would have to be covered in that scenario. If the GOP doesn't go down that path then it will be more likely they gloss over some of the details. I will say that I highly doubt much will be written of the Democratic primaries.
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 03:00:06 AM »

I hope we still have history books in 2116.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 06:48:13 AM »

What election do you think it will be as important as?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 06:56:37 AM »

Well, in all likelihood it won't be books.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 07:34:05 AM »

Well, in all likelihood it won't be books.
There's a 90% chance we will have books. 5% not for both good and bad reasons.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 08:23:07 AM »

Hillary for sure, since she will become president. So that includes the E-mail scandal as a note on controversies which haunter her, and maybe Clinton Foundation IF it develops to something more serious during her presidency.
Then there's Trump, an unprecedented nominee who'll probably be covered too, along with some of his more extreme policies like the Wall and the Muslim ban.
Probably Bernie Sanders as a side-note as well.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 09:18:10 AM »

If Johnson or McMullin wins a state, they'll be mentioned. If the libertarians rise into a third major party within the next 15 years, this election will be remembered as the spark that started it.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 09:20:51 AM »

If Johnson or McMullin wins a state, they'll be mentioned. If the libertarians rise into a third major party within the next 15 years, this election will be remembered as the spark that started it.

It would be funny if the Libertarian Party becomes the business conservative party (i.e. not really Libertarian) while the Republican Party becomes the fascist party.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 09:24:19 AM »

It would be funny if the Libertarian Party becomes the business conservative party (i.e. not really Libertarian) while the Republican Party becomes the fascist party.

The Republicans really do have to get socially progressive and fast. This is the biggest reason I cannot support almost any of their candidates.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 09:29:46 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2016, 09:36:59 AM by eric82oslo »

What about Trump paying for a 14 year old girl, with whom he raoed, to have an abortion, at the same time as his newly wedded wife was pregnant? And bragging about it to his closest friends. Even calling Melania disgusting looking for being pregnant. I think that will be pretty high up on future historians lists. Also InfoWars claiming that the first elected black president smells of sulphur without the slightest irony in his voice, or any hit of embarrassment while saying that, should not avoid historians future attention. Nor Trump's years' long birther issue, obviously. The election will also be remembered for Trump claiming that climate change was a hoax created by Chinese supreme leaders in order to retaliate for United States treating them bad during previous decades. Having in mind that China for quite some time has been a far worse polluter than USA and that Obama almost had to threaten Chinese leaders with diplomatic and economic armageddon unless China surrendered and agreed to sign the international climate accord, that is quite a statement! Probably is Trump's single most crazy utterance of everything he's ever said in his life.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 09:41:26 AM »

Which begs another question- Which set of decades do you think 2000-2020 will be compared with in a Western Civ class in 2200?
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2016, 09:53:13 AM »

Which begs another question- Which set of decades do you think 2000-2020 will be compared with in a Western Civ class in 2200?

The last years of the Roman empire. As in the last years of the Republican party as we know it. After the Republican party was attacked by barbarians (read: by Trump, Bannon, Ailes, Infowars, Breitbart, Rudy Giuliani with more) the Republican party simply couldn't withstand the flawed construction of its inner workings and moral hypocrisy anymore.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2016, 09:56:33 AM »

The last years of the Roman empire. As in the last years of the Republican party as we know it. After the Republican party was attacked by barbarians (read: by Trump, Bannon, Ailes, Infowars, Breitbart, Rudy Giuliani with more) the Republican party simply couldn't withstand the construction of its inner workings and moral hypocrisy anymore.

I can see that. I can 1980-2000 being the period just before that where they had consolidated power but depended heavily on people who didn't share their interests in staying power. The Romans called them Foederatii or something like that.

Am I wrong?

I wonder what 2020-2050 will be like?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2016, 10:00:46 AM »

The Wall and the three candidates to get EVs. That's all.
psychprofessor

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2016, 10:03:57 AM »

Hillary Clinton elected as the first woman president.

Donald Trump nominated as a reality star and failed business mogul of a major political party.

Late October revelations of sexual assault damaged the insurgent Trump candidacy.

I think those will be the three big takeaways.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2016, 10:07:19 AM »

Depends on how specific and long the book is
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2016, 10:13:36 AM »

Depends on how specific and long the book is

Let's say a College Freshman's course on American History.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2016, 11:20:25 PM »

Bringing this back: Trump refusing to say whether or not he will accept the validity of the election result.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2016, 11:20:51 PM »

Bringing this back: Trump refusing to say whether or not he will accept the validity of the election result.

Yep, definitely.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2016, 11:27:20 PM »

The three candidates who win electoral votes (Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, McMuffin) will obviously be in history books because you need to have an electoral map.

The Muslim ban and the rally violence will be in history books, but likely only as examples of broader themes (conflict with Islamic jihadists and general unrest in the United States in the 2010s).

The sexual assault thing will be in history books because no other presidential candidate has ever been accused by 10+ women of sexual assault in the final weeks of the campaign.

I don't think the rest of it (including anything from the primaries really) is that important.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2016, 11:38:08 PM »

Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, Evan McMullin, and Gary Johnson for participtaing in the election and getting at least 1 miliion popular votes.

Erratic behavior of Donald Trump will be noted.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2016, 11:40:22 PM »

Voted Clinton/Trump obviously. The campaign will be noted for Trump's wall, Muslim ban proposal, the violence at his rallies, and possibly the debates being the turning point. McMullin may be remembered if he wins Utah.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies