The Mideast Record-Courier: LIVE Coverage of the October '16 Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:32:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Mideast Record-Courier: LIVE Coverage of the October '16 Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Mideast Record-Courier: LIVE Coverage of the October '16 Election  (Read 2150 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2016, 09:20:41 PM »

We can further report that the special election to succeed former Senator Tmthforu has ended in an exact tie, with 16 votes apiece for Federalist JCL and Laborite Southern Gothic. To make this outcome all the more unusual, there does not appear to be an established procedure for resolving these sorts of outcomes in the regional statute. Under the terms of the Federal Electoral Act passed earlier this year, ties in federal elections are resolved by a runoff vote held one week after the original balloting. As we know, however, senatorial elections are administered by the regions, not the federal government, and therefore the terms of the FEA do not apply. Governor PiT has yet to announce how, and when, the tie will be broken; until then, the South's Class II Senate seat is likely to remain unfilled.

Crazy! I wonder if there's ever been a tie before.  Thanks for keeping up with all this.

They're very rare, but they have happened before. I once tied TNF on a Midwest Senate race, but refused to go to a run off since one of his voters had invalidated his vote on purpose. I'm sure there's other examples as well.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2016, 10:56:34 PM »

In our situation, the office lies vacant prior and was the cause of said special election.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2016, 02:00:13 PM »

I ended up in a tie running for President against Lief. The tie was broken in his favor because he had more first preferences. Given that we each had 41 voters in the final round, that may hold the record for the most impressive tie in Atlasian history.

Anyway, the Southern Constitution, Article VI, Section 5 provides that there will be a runoff the following weekend to break a tie in a Senatorial election. I will also announce this in my office to make it official.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2016, 02:10:18 PM »

FOR FE SENATE (63% Turnout)
LAB: Griffin   16 (53.3%) ☑
FED: Goldwater   14 (46.7%)

Voting concluded in the Rocky Mountain Region early this morning; with 100% of precincts reporting, we can now verify that Adam Griffin - the former President and sitting Regional Legislator from Colorado - has defeated former Senator Goldwater by a mere two votes, 53% to 47%. Accordingly, the Mideast Record-Courier can now project that Mr. Griffin will return to Nyman as the junior Senator from Fremont next month, replacing Federalist A.J. Stmarken.

Adam Griffin (LAB)
SENATE (FREMONT) - ELECTED

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2016, 05:30:27 PM »

Update on the presidential race so far?
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2016, 05:31:38 PM »

look here: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=249149.0
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2016, 01:09:00 AM »

Based on the way House votes are tallied, I assume this is a spoiled ballot?

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2016, 01:19:43 AM »

I am not sure if this still applies, but I remember a few years back. There was an election where someone just listed the names on the ballot without numbers and the ordering was treated as a defacto preferencing, the obligation being to try and discern intent as much as possible to avoid discarding a ballot.

Ironic, because the first time Ben Kenobi was in this game, there was an issue over his ballot in the June 2011 elections. I still have that vote saved in a folder on my computer:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Really didn't change anything since Polnut and myself won massive landslides that election. However, this time the impact could be substantial on the House election.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2016, 01:26:46 AM »

I mean, that's just the way the ballot is ordered, so I don't see how you could discern intent from that.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2016, 01:28:58 AM »
« Edited: October 22, 2016, 01:31:37 AM by Eternal Senator North Carolina Yankee »

I mean, that's just the way the ballot is ordered, so I don't see how you could discern intent from that.

I am just saying how it was done back then.

If you want to ask someone about it, ask Earl. I am pretty sure he was one who counted the vote I am remembering as then Secretary of Forum Affairs (predecessor to SoFE).

The person forgot to mark numbers and it was counted in the order that they listed them. Now they didn't copy the ballot, they listed the candidates themselves on a blank post (again with no numbers) so that is one clear difference.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2016, 01:39:48 AM »

If you want to ask someone about it, ask Earl. I am pretty sure he was one who counted the vote I am remembering as then Secretary of Forum Affairs (predecessor to SoFE).

The person forgot to mark numbers and it was counted in the order that they listed them. Now they didn't copy the ballot, they listed the candidates themselves on a blank post (again with no numbers) so that is one clear difference.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying.  IMO, it would be the same thing as taking the ballot and putting a 1 in all of the boxes.  No way to know which one is the intended first preference cause copying the ballot isn't an act of personal expression.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2016, 02:09:36 AM »

Yeah, that's what I'm saying.  IMO, it would be the same thing as taking the ballot and putting a 1 in all of the boxes.  No way to know which one is the intended first preference cause copying the ballot isn't an act of personal expression.

True
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2016, 02:29:49 AM »

This is the 1st choice count for President right now (note that I have not attempted to determine each poster's validity or lack thereof):

NCYankee: 26 (53.1%)
Blair: 19 (38.8%)
Xahar (Write-In): 4 (8.1%)

Turnout: 49

At this point, the reapportionment of votes for Xahar is irrelevant given Yankee's margin, so I won't bother right now.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2016, 03:55:00 AM »

Hi Yankee!

I'm fine with whatever the folks adjudicate with my ballot.

I don't feel particularly strong about any of the candidates on the ballot. Order is fine, aside from Santander should probably get my first preference, then Enduro and so on and so forth.

Apologies, I hadn't realized that it would cause a snafu.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2016, 11:11:24 AM »

Hmm, I don't remember doing that. But that was a long time ago, and memory fades me.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2016, 11:25:15 AM »

Hmm, I don't remember doing that. But that was a long time ago, and memory fades me.

It is amazing the little things I can remember, yet none of the surrounding details like whose vote and when. Tongue
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2016, 07:45:09 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2016, 07:47:45 PM by Dwarven Dragon »

This is the 1st choice count for President right now (note that I have not attempted to determine each poster's validity or lack thereof):

At this point, the reapportionment of votes for Xahar is irrelevant given Yankee's margin, so I won't bother right now.

Update:

NCYankee: 50 (52.6%)
Blair: 36 (37.9%)
Xahar (Write-In): 9 (9.5%)

Turnout: 95
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2016, 10:45:28 PM »

Update:

NCYankee: 50 (52.6%)
Blair: 36 (37.9%)
Xahar (Write-In): 9 (9.5%)

Turnout: 95

Update:

NCYankee: 54 (48.6%)
Blair: 46 (41.4%)
Xahar (Write-In): 11 (9.9%)

Turnout: 111

When the polls close I will re-apportion the votes for Xahar.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2016, 12:04:12 AM »

2ND BALLOT - WITHOUT ACCOUNTING FOR VALIDITY:

58-57 Blair

Adam Griffin has projected on IRC that two of Blair's votes and one of Yankee's votes will be declared invalid, which would make it a 56-56 tie.

*BASED ON THIS COUNT, I DECLARE THIS ELECTION TOO CLOSE TO BE CALLED*

*The final count is the opinion of the SoFE and figures may differ slightly from the estimates noted above. Please await the official declaration of the vote from the SoFE and do not try to declare a winner at this point in time*
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2016, 12:08:07 AM »

2ND BALLOT - WITHOUT ACCOUNTING FOR VALIDITY:

58-57 Blair

Adam Griffin has projected on IRC that two of Blair's votes and one of Yankee's votes will be declared invalid, which would make it a 56-56 tie.

*BASED ON THIS COUNT, I DECLARE THIS ELECTION TOO CLOSE TO BE CALLED*

*The final count is the opinion of the SoFE and figures may differ slightly from the estimates noted above. Please await the official declaration of the vote from the SoFE and do not try to declare a winner at this point in time*
I believe Blair has it on second preferences. I'd want the final result to be confirmed though, before suggesting anything now...
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2016, 03:30:19 PM »

Results so far for the runoff (assuming all votes are valid):

Blair: 35 (49.3%)
Yankee: 34 (47.9%)
None of the Above: 1 (1.4%)
Uninterpretable: 1 (Xahar) (1.4%)

Turnout: 71

Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2016, 04:01:36 PM »

Xahar's ballot is in Tamil by the looks of it: link
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2016, 12:21:27 AM »

Xahar's ballot is in Tamil by the looks of it: link

It would have been hilarious if that was the font he used back in his 2013 Senate stint.

Would have made my life a living nightmare as PPT though.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies