The Mideast Record-Courier: LIVE Coverage of the October '16 Election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:58:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Mideast Record-Courier: LIVE Coverage of the October '16 Election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Mideast Record-Courier: LIVE Coverage of the October '16 Election  (Read 2186 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: October 17, 2016, 12:07:32 AM »

April 2015 all over again in the South. People using IRC to get their buddies to move, but at least Flo didn't move people during the election to my recollection and certainly not in the last few minutes.

There was near unanimous support after that incident to reinstate the seven day rule. Because it is an invitation for everyone to misbehave without it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 01:21:07 AM »

at least Flo didn't move people during the election to my recollection and certainly not in the last few minutes.
>sigh< It's stunts like these that make me want to lock myself in the Main State Building and never come out. Fortunately, that particular ballot is invalid (voted after the end of the polling period).

It would be terrible  if we went though all this over the past year to end up right back where we were before (stunts, plus inactivity).

Fortunately, I have faith that it won't come to that.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 01:19:43 AM »

I am not sure if this still applies, but I remember a few years back. There was an election where someone just listed the names on the ballot without numbers and the ordering was treated as a defacto preferencing, the obligation being to try and discern intent as much as possible to avoid discarding a ballot.

Ironic, because the first time Ben Kenobi was in this game, there was an issue over his ballot in the June 2011 elections. I still have that vote saved in a folder on my computer:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Really didn't change anything since Polnut and myself won massive landslides that election. However, this time the impact could be substantial on the House election.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 01:28:58 AM »
« Edited: October 22, 2016, 01:31:37 AM by Eternal Senator North Carolina Yankee »

I mean, that's just the way the ballot is ordered, so I don't see how you could discern intent from that.

I am just saying how it was done back then.

If you want to ask someone about it, ask Earl. I am pretty sure he was one who counted the vote I am remembering as then Secretary of Forum Affairs (predecessor to SoFE).

The person forgot to mark numbers and it was counted in the order that they listed them. Now they didn't copy the ballot, they listed the candidates themselves on a blank post (again with no numbers) so that is one clear difference.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 02:09:36 AM »

I mean, that's just the way the ballot is ordered, so I don't see how you could discern intent from that.

If you want to ask someone about it, ask Earl. I am pretty sure he was one who counted the vote I am remembering as then Secretary of Forum Affairs (predecessor to SoFE).

The person forgot to mark numbers and it was counted in the order that they listed them. Now they didn't copy the ballot, they listed the candidates themselves on a blank post (again with no numbers) so that is one clear difference.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying.  IMO, it would be the same thing as taking the ballot and putting a 1 in all of the boxes.  No way to know which one is the intended first preference cause copying the ballot isn't an act of personal expression.

True
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 11:25:15 AM »

Hmm, I don't remember doing that. But that was a long time ago, and memory fades me.

It is amazing the little things I can remember, yet none of the surrounding details like whose vote and when. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 12:21:27 AM »

Xahar's ballot is in Tamil by the looks of it: link

It would have been hilarious if that was the font he used back in his 2013 Senate stint.

Would have made my life a living nightmare as PPT though.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies