The Atlas Hillary obsession (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:35:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Atlas Hillary obsession (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Atlas Hillary obsession  (Read 1048 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: October 15, 2016, 05:14:03 AM »

This has been a peculiar feature of the Atlas forum community that I've noticed since joining. Many, although obviously not all, members seem to have some kind of adoration for  Sec. Clinton, almost to the point of veneration. Don't misunderstand, I'm not a Hillary hater - that should be obvious considering I support her. But I do acknowledge that she's a rather flawed candidate, even if all the right-wing allegations and witch hunts against her are completely insane. The most obvious example was her choice to use a personal email server. No, she didn't commit a crime, nor was it of the level of severity that many Republicans try to make it appear. But it was incredibly bad judgment and yes, she basically lied. She also helped promote the idea that a stupid video caused the attack in Benghazi that killed a US Ambassador, which was outright false. Sec. Clinton even promoted her husband's welfare reform by arguing that those stripped of state benefits were "no longer deadbeats." She has also promoted her husband's crime bill that expanded the death penalty and led to greater African American incarceration.

Unfortunately, the Clintons' have performed a long dance courting the line between ethically questionable and legally criminal. This, when combined with a right-wing hard-on to see them imprisoned and defamed,  their decades in the public spotlight, and mastery of politics, have led to Hillary being increasingly secretive, defensive, and perceived as untrustworthy, whether it's for her handling of her email server or position changes on issues like TPP. These can generally be accepted as facts about Sec. Clinton.

All of that leads me to the point of this thread, which is to ask why Atlas has such reverence for her. In comparison to Trump, yes, she is an infinitely better choice. Compared to Sanders, yes, she has a considerably better chance of passing legislation through a Congress she knows perfectly well how to navigate - for better or worse. She has a resume that few could match. There's absolutely no denying that she's exceptionally qualified for the Presidency, although there are legitimate concerns one could raise about her judgment and policy positions. With all of that said, the question remains why Atlas adores her so much. Why is that the case? Why do so many seem to glorify a woman who, while a good choice for the Presidency, is quite flawed and comes with lots of baggage? There's a difference between supporting a candidate and revering/adoring that candidate, so why choose the latter?

I guess this turned into a rant more than anything else, so thank you for reading it until the end. /end rant
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 05:30:17 AM »

Well, I can only speak for myself. I strongly support her bid for the presidency now, though she was not my first choice (that was Joe Biden, Jim Webb or my overall favorite would have been Jerry Brown). She has several short comings, but she's an able woman.

She wasn't my first choice either, that was Bernie Sanders, although the arguments she made against him were largely legitimate. She's my party's nominee and I happily support her with every hope that she's a successful President who's able to accomplish more during her tenure than President Obama, whose lack of political connections, ability to navigate Congress, and mere presence causes the right-wing to foam at the the mouth, has crippled his ability to be productive.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies