Which Texas counties will Hillary flip?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:47:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Which Texas counties will Hillary flip?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which Texas counties will Hillary flip?  (Read 402 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 15, 2016, 04:30:13 PM »

Although I'm not at all convinced that Texas is in play, it looks like it will swing strongly Democratic this year. Which Romney counties from 2012 will Hillary win this year? Brewster seems like a good bet, any others?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 04:32:46 PM »

Obama came close in Fort Bend in 2008 and only lost it by 6-7% last time, IIRC.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 04:35:11 PM »

Nueces, Hudspeth, Kenedy, and Fort Bend could all flip in addition to Brewster.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 06:14:48 PM »

The interesting thing about Texas, is even though it has more counties than any other state (254) the overwhelming majority of the population (80%) lives in basically five Metro areas (Houston, DFW, Austin, San Antonio, and El Paso) and then we could throw in a few other medium-sized cities like Corpus, Laredo, and Lubbock.

The vast majority of counties are not only relatively low-population, but also extremely inelastic, so although we might see some significant swings in counties with larger Latino populations for example in WestTex and parts of SouthTex, we won't see very many county flips despite what appears to be a major statewide swing away from the Republican margins in '08 and '12.

I don't think there is any question at all that Brewster & Kennedy will flip back from Obama '08 and Romney '12 considering the large Latino population.

Additionally, I think that Uvalde in West Tex that went McCain and Romney by 5-7 % will flip with a 66% Latino population, as well as Hudspeth (48 McCain and 44 Romney) that is 75% Latino.

I'll lay money down that Nueces (Corpus Christi) will flip. The "Texas Riviera" is one of the most beautiful parts of the Gulf Coast, and although it is heavily Latino these are precisely the type of Latino voters that frequently break Republican in Presidential and statewide races, but Trump is not the dude that represents their values, regardless of many employed working in offshore oil rigs that might be concerned about the environment vs jobs false dichotomy.

There might be some other rural counties that I missed in places like WestTex and SouthTex that might flip solely because of a complete collapse of Republican support among Tejanos and Latinos.

Moving to Urban/Suburban Texas:

Fort Bend I consider to be an automatic flip.... You have a rapidly growing Middle-Class suburban county of Houston that is rapidly becoming Blacker and Browner, not only in Pearland, but in many other parts of the county. Sugarland that was a traditional heavily Republican stronghold with extremely high household incomes for Metro H-Town is also a place that has one of the highest percentages of Asian-Americans in the region (Heavily Vietnamese-Americans) along with a boatload of college-educated Anglos that don't dig the Trump bag on so many issues.

Waller County is a mix of extremely rural redneck, and Upper-Middle Class Houstonians that are willing to take the long drive down SH-290, despite constant construction to trade off more house for longer commute. Honestly, I don't think Waller will flip but I do think that Clinton will exceed Obama '08 numbers.

Tarrant County (Fort Worth) is obviously ground-zero for Dems in Metro DFW. I don't see it flipping but Trump will likely only win by 4-5%.

Now we start moving into Central Texas:

Hays will almost definitely flip... San Marcos is exactly the type of town where college-educated Anglos will be dumping Trump en masse as the Republican nominee...

Williamson is definitely an interesting test of how College-educated Anglos move in Texas.
Round Rock, although it is part of the Metro Austin SMSA is also it's own bag. Dell Corp HQ is here, and is the biggest employer, as well as other spin-offs and suppliers tied to a sector and industry that is not only highly educated, but also increasingly international in terms of skilled "knowledge-sector employees" where Trump's rhetoric, economic policy positions, and so many other items don't play well. Although I won't predict this county flipping, I suspect it will be within a five point margin, in contrast to McCain +13 and Romney +26.

I'll throw in a few other counties that I think might flip, but still give Trump odds on:

Atascosa, Bee, Bastrop, and Bell.

Ok---- now after my long post looking forward to some Native sons and daughters of Texas to jump in on the potential county flips....

Not a native son, but four years in the Lone Star state gives me a few angles, so looking forward to any critique/feedback and comments where I might be full of absolute BS or on the money... Smiley

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 10:55:31 PM »

The interesting thing about Texas, is even though it has more counties than any other state (254) the overwhelming majority of the population (80%) lives in basically five Metro areas (Houston, DFW, Austin, San Antonio, and El Paso) and then we could throw in a few other medium-sized cities like Corpus, Laredo, and Lubbock.

The vast majority of counties are not only relatively low-population, but also extremely inelastic, so although we might see some significant swings in counties with larger Latino populations for example in WestTex and parts of SouthTex, we won't see very many county flips despite what appears to be a major statewide swing away from the Republican margins in '08 and '12.

I don't think there is any question at all that Brewster & Kennedy will flip back from Obama '08 and Romney '12 considering the large Latino population.

Additionally, I think that Uvalde in West Tex that went McCain and Romney by 5-7 % will flip with a 66% Latino population, as well as Hudspeth (48 McCain and 44 Romney) that is 75% Latino.

I'll lay money down that Nueces (Corpus Christi) will flip. The "Texas Riviera" is one of the most beautiful parts of the Gulf Coast, and although it is heavily Latino these are precisely the type of Latino voters that frequently break Republican in Presidential and statewide races, but Trump is not the dude that represents their values, regardless of many employed working in offshore oil rigs that might be concerned about the environment vs jobs false dichotomy.
Corpus Christi has always had a sizable contingent of Hispanic Republicans, in part because the local Democratic Party was and is run like a machine, which is fine in poor rural South Texas but doesn't work when your constituents are taxpaying homeowners who care about good schools and property values. It's part of the reason Solomon Ortiz got voted out in 2010. It will be interesting to see if Trump drives these people away from the party and if they stay away.

There might be some other rural counties that I missed in places like WestTex and SouthTex that might flip solely because of a complete collapse of Republican support among Tejanos and Latinos.

Moving to Urban/Suburban Texas:

Fort Bend I consider to be an automatic flip.... You have a rapidly growing Middle-Class suburban county of Houston that is rapidly becoming Blacker and Browner, not only in Pearland, but in many other parts of the county. Sugarland that was a traditional heavily Republican stronghold with extremely high household incomes for Metro H-Town is also a place that has one of the highest percentages of Asian-Americans in the region (Heavily Vietnamese-Americans) along with a boatload of college-educated Anglos that don't dig the Trump bag on so many issues.

Waller County is a mix of extremely rural redneck, and Upper-Middle Class Houstonians that are willing to take the long drive down SH-290, despite constant construction to trade off more house for longer commute. Honestly, I don't think Waller will flip but I do think that Clinton will exceed Obama '08 numbers.
Waller County has an extremely large black population by Texas standards, and a HBCU. If you're living in Waller, you're not upper-middle class. You're middle-class but you want to live like you're upper-middle class so you move out to the boonies for the cheap McMansion housing. I give this to Trump easily.

Tarrant County (Fort Worth) is obviously ground-zero for Dems in Metro DFW. I don't see it flipping but Trump will likely only win by 4-5%.

Now we start moving into Central Texas:

Hays will almost definitely flip... San Marcos is exactly the type of town where college-educated Anglos will be dumping Trump en masse as the Republican nominee...
Lots of very conservative whites of German ancestry. This is a part of the state that has been voting Republican since the Civil War. San Marcos is a college town but Texas State is a party school and also has a lot of veterans as students. I don't believe this county will flip.

Williamson is definitely an interesting test of how College-educated Anglos move in Texas.
Round Rock, although it is part of the Metro Austin SMSA is also it's own bag. Dell Corp HQ is here, and is the biggest employer, as well as other spin-offs and suppliers tied to a sector and industry that is not only highly educated, but also increasingly international in terms of skilled "knowledge-sector employees" where Trump's rhetoric, economic policy positions, and so many other items don't play well. Although I won't predict this county flipping, I suspect it will be within a five point margin, in contrast to McCain +13 and Romney +26.

I'll throw in a few other counties that I think might flip, but still give Trump odds on:

Atascosa, Bee, Bastrop, and Bell.

Ok---- now after my long post looking forward to some Native sons and daughters of Texas to jump in on the potential county flips....

Not a native son, but four years in the Lone Star state gives me a few angles, so looking forward to any critique/feedback and comments where I might be full of absolute BS or on the money... Smiley

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies