Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 12:38:09 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Individual Politics (Moderators: Grad Students are the Worst, Torie, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Americans: Have you thanked a frenchman today?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Americans: Have you thanked a frenchman today?  (Read 16801 times)
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2005, 07:19:02 am »
Ignore

If only there ever were any sleet in Britain! Smiley It'd make live a lot more like worth living.

We get sleet up here most of the winter Sad
You define winter as those three days of the year when the thermometer drops below 5°, right? Tongue

For us, yes Cheesy

Although today was bloody freezing-14 degrees, but windy and overcast.
I call that un-weather, ie no weather of any kind could be detected. Smiley

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
dazzleman
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2005, 07:39:02 am »
Ignore

I think our debt to the French has been more than paid off, with interest.

Besides, what have the French ever done to thank us for what we've done for them?  I don't think there was ever such US hostility toward France as they showed us, except as a reaction to French hostility.
Platypus
hughento
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2005, 07:49:16 am »
Ignore

I sympathise with both camps...

Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2005, 08:21:44 am »
Ignore

One of my heroes, Johann Gottfried Seume, "helped the king lose the 13 provinces", in his own words. He was a Hessian conscript. Really a soldier slave.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Banana Republic

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2005, 11:00:35 am »
Ignore

If it weren't for the French you guys would probably be living in some dreadful hellhole, on par with Australia or Canada.
Jim Valvano
Liberty
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2005, 11:27:57 am »
Ignore

I think our debt to the French has been more than paid off, with interest.

Besides, what have the French ever done to thank us for what we've done for them?  I don't think there was ever such US hostility toward France as they showed us, except as a reaction to French hostility.

While I agree with the notion that it's silly that we need to still be thanking France, it's simply not true that we never had hostility against France. Ever heard of the XYZ affair?

I will thank God for the day and the moment I have.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2005, 01:28:43 pm »
Ignore

Every American should go to France for a year after high school, or perhaps after univeristy, in order to learn how to live well.

How about no. I have friends who have been to France and they say it is naste.  I think we Americans know how to live that is why we have health codes and they don't.
KEmperor
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2005, 03:09:16 pm »
Ignore

Every American should go to France for a year after high school, or perhaps after univeristy, in order to learn how to live well.

How about no. I have friends who have been to France and they say it is naste.  I think we Americans know how to live that is why we have health codes and they don't.

Um....I'm sure the French have health codes.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
YaBB God
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2005, 03:13:55 pm »
Ignore

If so their health codes SUCK! Have you been or has anyone you know have been.

PS They need to thank us for saving their butts in WW I & II.
Grad Students are the Worst
Alcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2005, 03:16:29 pm »

I know plenty of people who have been, and the vast majority - Republicans or otherwise - enjoyed themselves.

n/c
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
YaBB God
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2005, 03:19:12 pm »
Ignore

I know plenty of people who have been, and the vast majority - Republicans or otherwise - enjoyed themselves.

I never said they might now enjoyed it. But they are nasty.
angus
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2005, 09:01:58 pm »
Ignore

French Contributions to the US during the revolution

Majority of weapons and military related supplies came from French.

French threatened British in other areas like the West Indies and Europe

The French Navy threatened seaward approaches.

The French Army made American threat at Yorktown credible.

The French gave us many soldiers for the war, including LaFayette.

Major conrtibution not during the revolution

Plus, they gave us The Statue Of Liberty.

Without them, we could all be British right now! (not that that's a bad thing, except maybe to some people) July 4th would have been insignificant if the french didnt help us in our greatest time of need.

So americans, have you thanked a frenchman today? Smiley

I have not.  But what the hell, I'll do it.  And while we're listing reasons to "thank france" we might as well take a peep at the loft-hand column on page one of the WaPo print edition.  It's entitled "Help From France Key In Covert Operations" and describes how Christian Ganczarski, a german, was arres--  er, well, detained after he boarded a flight from Riyadh to Paris in the US/French law inforcement cooperative called Alliance Base, which was set up by the CIA and French intelligence services in 2002.  We can all sleep a little safer because of the French.  So, I'll say it with you:

Merci Beaucoup, mes amis français.

All together now, boys and girls, Merci à la France!

And while we're at it, let's give Wal-Mart a big shout out too. 

Coronet paper plates $1.99
One-pound ground beef  $1.79
8-pack hamburger buns 99c
French's mustard 16 oz.  99c

Thanks Wal-Mart.        Smiley  Low prices.  Every day.  Smiley

oh, your sig reminds me.  Sharpton had dinner in my building last week.  I missed him, but the doorman and a few of my neighbors were going on and on about it.  There's a "terrace restaurant" just above my apartment, which is on the 15th floor.  It's kinda cool, since it's always unlocked and after they close at 11 you can walk up and get nice views of midtown to the south and harlem and GW bridge to the north, Columbia U to the west and more of harlem and the bronx to the east.  But sometimes it can be a little noisy.  anyway, one lady went on about how sharpton "...looked just like he does on TV."  What an odd thing to say?  Doesn't everybody?  Anyway, just thought I'd mention sharpton.

"how's your french toast dear?"
    --American Dad's wife

"smelly and ungrateful!  But this American toast is delicious, babe."
    --American Dad
TX_1824
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.06, S: 2.17

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2005, 10:06:21 pm »
Ignore

The government of France that assisted us during the Revolutionary War is not the same government that exist today. That government ended with the execution of King Louis XVI in 1793. I doubt the government that succeeded the monarchy would have supported the revolution.

Besides, as someone already pointed out, the French were only interested at defeating the British. The end of the war, long after Yorktown, was in India where the British defeated the French insuring British control of India. So the British came out in a better position after the war. All the commerce with the US and none of the problems of governing.

Hi. I'm from New York!

Eco Left/Right:  +3.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: +1.85

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2005, 10:20:56 pm »
Ignore

What do you mean 'health codes'?  Certainly french food is far superior to american food - in fact our law about pastuerization is one reason cheese in america is garbage.  The quality of ones food has more to do with who prepares it than the laws regulating it - in america the underclass toils in the food industry spitting in everything they can get their hands on.  In healthy societies like France (or Thailand), people care about the quality of their products as they tend to be small proprieters rather than low-wage serfs.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

KEmperor
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2005, 10:24:51 pm »
Ignore

In healthy societies like Thailand, people care about the quality of their products as they tend to be small proprieters rather than low-wage serfs.

That's classic.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2005, 10:27:02 pm »
Ignore

In healthy societies like Thailand, people care about the quality of their products as they tend to be small proprieters rather than low-wage serfs.

That's classic.

In Thailand nearly all restaurants and traditional-market foodstuff sellers are small individual proprieters who take pride in their products, not wage-slaves like the workers at Walmart, McDonalds, etc.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
YaBB God
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2005, 11:17:45 pm »
Ignore

What do you mean 'health codes'?  Certainly french food is far superior to american food - in fact our law about pastuerization is one reason cheese in america is garbage.  The quality of ones food has more to do with who prepares it than the laws regulating it - in america the underclass toils in the food industry spitting in everything they can get their hands on.  In healthy societies like France (or Thailand), people care about the quality of their products as they tend to be small proprieters rather than low-wage serfs.

Oh Your pastuerization what? French milk is not even pastuerization. That is why America has cheese call American cheese. I never heard of French cheese. And we don't eat the slug off our back deck now do we. FDA here to make sure our food is healthy and don't kill us.
KEmperor
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2005, 11:24:52 pm »
Ignore

Oh Your pastuerization what? French milk is not even pastuerization. That is why America has cheese call American cheese. I never heard of French cheese. And we don't eat the slug off our back deck now do we. FDA here to make sure our food is healthy and don't kill us.

Ok, I never thought I'd be defending the French on this forum, but here goes:

Josh, the French are famous for their cheeses.  They have some of the best cheeses in the world.  And American cheese is actually not that great a cheese.  (It has its uses though, as certain properties make it perfect for melting)
Nation
of_thisnation
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.06, S: 1.14

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2005, 11:34:04 pm »
Ignore

Did you just come back from the leadership conference on cheese?

You sure seem to know a lot about it.

And you've spent time in France, too, right? I heard they had a leadership conference on the French health system the other day. Your friends must have gone.

i dont know, but i've been told
that a yankee politician ain't got no soul
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2005, 11:50:04 pm »
Ignore

Josh, the French are famous for their cheeses.  They have some of the best cheeses in the world.  And American cheese is actually not that great a cheese.  (It has its uses though, as certain properties make it perfect for melting)
i wish i owned a cheesewheel. i want to race one down a hill.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 11:52:11 pm by Almost Senator LiberalPA »Logged

“The meaning of life is not to be discovered only after death in some hidden, mysterious realm; on the contrary, it can be found by eating the succulent fruit of the Tree of Life and by living in the here and now as fully and creatively as we can”

~~~~Dr. Paul Kurtz (1925-2012)
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2005, 12:14:19 am »
Ignore

i wish i owned a cheesewheel. i want to race one down a hill.
or better yet, take a whole bunch of different types of cheeses, and race them against eachother! i could have a cheesewheel racing league! that would rule! Cheesy

“The meaning of life is not to be discovered only after death in some hidden, mysterious realm; on the contrary, it can be found by eating the succulent fruit of the Tree of Life and by living in the here and now as fully and creatively as we can”

~~~~Dr. Paul Kurtz (1925-2012)
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2005, 06:53:27 am »
Ignore

Did you just come back from the leadership conference on cheese?

You sure seem to know a lot about it.

And you've spent time in France, too, right? I heard they had a leadership conference on the French health system the other day. Your friends must have gone.
You can't make edible cheese from pasteurized milk, that's for sure.

Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2005, 07:54:26 am »
Ignore

Talking of Frenchmen, I once had a pen friend who was adamant that the only reason France capitulated to Hitler in 1940 was because French troops were over in the UK defending us!

See, it's not only Chirac who's delusional

Dave

Moderate Liberal Populist Smiley [Personal 45%/Economic 42%] / Defense 'Hawk'

Registered in Georgia for Fantasy Politics
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2005, 07:56:14 am »
Ignore

Talking of Frenchmen, I once had a pen friend who was adamant that the only reason France capitulated to Hitler in 1940 was because French troops were over in the UK defending us!

See, it's not only Chirac who's delusional

Dave
Lol, that's weird.

Of course, it's true that there were French troops in England defending you...after you'd evacuated them out in 1940.

Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2005, 10:45:33 am »
Ignore

Any particular reason for bumping it?

Real Americans (and Big Sky Bob) demand to know.

I just slept for 11 hours, so I should need a nap today, but we'll see.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout