Americans: Have you thanked a frenchman today?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:05:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Americans: Have you thanked a frenchman today?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Americans: Have you thanked a frenchman today?  (Read 24762 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2005, 07:19:02 AM »

If only there ever were any sleet in Britain! Smiley It'd make live a lot more like worth living.

We get sleet up here most of the winter Sad
You define winter as those three days of the year when the thermometer drops below 5°, right? Tongue

For us, yes Cheesy

Although today was bloody freezing-14 degrees, but windy and overcast.
I call that un-weather, ie no weather of any kind could be detected. Smiley
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2005, 07:39:02 AM »

I think our debt to the French has been more than paid off, with interest.

Besides, what have the French ever done to thank us for what we've done for them?  I don't think there was ever such US hostility toward France as they showed us, except as a reaction to French hostility.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2005, 07:49:16 AM »

I sympathise with both camps...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2005, 08:21:44 AM »

One of my heroes, Johann Gottfried Seume, "helped the king lose the 13 provinces", in his own words. He was a Hessian conscript. Really a soldier slave.
Banana Republic
Rookie

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2005, 11:00:35 AM »

If it weren't for the French you guys would probably be living in some dreadful hellhole, on par with Australia or Canada.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2005, 11:27:57 AM »

I think our debt to the French has been more than paid off, with interest.

Besides, what have the French ever done to thank us for what we've done for them?  I don't think there was ever such US hostility toward France as they showed us, except as a reaction to French hostility.

While I agree with the notion that it's silly that we need to still be thanking France, it's simply not true that we never had hostility against France. Ever heard of the XYZ affair?
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2005, 01:28:43 PM »

Every American should go to France for a year after high school, or perhaps after univeristy, in order to learn how to live well.

How about no. I have friends who have been to France and they say it is naste.  I think we Americans know how to live that is why we have health codes and they don't.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2005, 03:09:16 PM »

Every American should go to France for a year after high school, or perhaps after univeristy, in order to learn how to live well.

How about no. I have friends who have been to France and they say it is naste.  I think we Americans know how to live that is why we have health codes and they don't.

Um....I'm sure the French have health codes.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2005, 03:13:55 PM »

If so their health codes SUCK! Have you been or has anyone you know have been.

PS They need to thank us for saving their butts in WW I & II.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2005, 03:16:29 PM »

I know plenty of people who have been, and the vast majority - Republicans or otherwise - enjoyed themselves.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2005, 03:19:12 PM »

I know plenty of people who have been, and the vast majority - Republicans or otherwise - enjoyed themselves.

I never said they might now enjoyed it. But they are nasty.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2005, 09:01:58 PM »

French Contributions to the US during the revolution

Majority of weapons and military related supplies came from French.

French threatened British in other areas like the West Indies and Europe

The French Navy threatened seaward approaches.

The French Army made American threat at Yorktown credible.

The French gave us many soldiers for the war, including LaFayette.

Major conrtibution not during the revolution

Plus, they gave us The Statue Of Liberty.

Without them, we could all be British right now! (not that that's a bad thing, except maybe to some people) July 4th would have been insignificant if the french didnt help us in our greatest time of need.

So americans, have you thanked a frenchman today? Smiley

I have not.  But what the hell, I'll do it.  And while we're listing reasons to "thank france" we might as well take a peep at the loft-hand column on page one of the WaPo print edition.  It's entitled "Help From France Key In Covert Operations" and describes how Christian Ganczarski, a german, was arres--  er, well, detained after he boarded a flight from Riyadh to Paris in the US/French law inforcement cooperative called Alliance Base, which was set up by the CIA and French intelligence services in 2002.  We can all sleep a little safer because of the French.  So, I'll say it with you:

Merci Beaucoup, mes amis français.

All together now, boys and girls, Merci à la France!

And while we're at it, let's give Wal-Mart a big shout out too. 

Coronet paper plates $1.99
One-pound ground beef  $1.79
8-pack hamburger buns 99c
French's mustard 16 oz.  99c

Thanks Wal-Mart.        Smiley  Low prices.  Every day.  Smiley

oh, your sig reminds me.  Sharpton had dinner in my building last week.  I missed him, but the doorman and a few of my neighbors were going on and on about it.  There's a "terrace restaurant" just above my apartment, which is on the 15th floor.  It's kinda cool, since it's always unlocked and after they close at 11 you can walk up and get nice views of midtown to the south and harlem and GW bridge to the north, Columbia U to the west and more of harlem and the bronx to the east.  But sometimes it can be a little noisy.  anyway, one lady went on about how sharpton "...looked just like he does on TV."  What an odd thing to say?  Doesn't everybody?  Anyway, just thought I'd mention sharpton.

"how's your french toast dear?"
    --American Dad's wife

"smelly and ungrateful!  But this American toast is delicious, babe."
    --American Dad
TX_1824
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2005, 10:06:21 PM »

The government of France that assisted us during the Revolutionary War is not the same government that exist today. That government ended with the execution of King Louis XVI in 1793. I doubt the government that succeeded the monarchy would have supported the revolution.

Besides, as someone already pointed out, the French were only interested at defeating the British. The end of the war, long after Yorktown, was in India where the British defeated the French insuring British control of India. So the British came out in a better position after the war. All the commerce with the US and none of the problems of governing.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2005, 10:20:56 PM »

What do you mean 'health codes'?  Certainly french food is far superior to american food - in fact our law about pastuerization is one reason cheese in america is garbage.  The quality of ones food has more to do with who prepares it than the laws regulating it - in america the underclass toils in the food industry spitting in everything they can get their hands on.  In healthy societies like France (or Thailand), people care about the quality of their products as they tend to be small proprieters rather than low-wage serfs.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2005, 10:24:51 PM »

In healthy societies like Thailand, people care about the quality of their products as they tend to be small proprieters rather than low-wage serfs.

That's classic.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2005, 10:27:02 PM »

In healthy societies like Thailand, people care about the quality of their products as they tend to be small proprieters rather than low-wage serfs.

That's classic.

In Thailand nearly all restaurants and traditional-market foodstuff sellers are small individual proprieters who take pride in their products, not wage-slaves like the workers at Walmart, McDonalds, etc.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2005, 11:17:45 PM »

What do you mean 'health codes'?  Certainly french food is far superior to american food - in fact our law about pastuerization is one reason cheese in america is garbage.  The quality of ones food has more to do with who prepares it than the laws regulating it - in america the underclass toils in the food industry spitting in everything they can get their hands on.  In healthy societies like France (or Thailand), people care about the quality of their products as they tend to be small proprieters rather than low-wage serfs.

Oh Your pastuerization what? French milk is not even pastuerization. That is why America has cheese call American cheese. I never heard of French cheese. And we don't eat the slug off our back deck now do we. FDA here to make sure our food is healthy and don't kill us.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2005, 11:24:52 PM »

Oh Your pastuerization what? French milk is not even pastuerization. That is why America has cheese call American cheese. I never heard of French cheese. And we don't eat the slug off our back deck now do we. FDA here to make sure our food is healthy and don't kill us.

Ok, I never thought I'd be defending the French on this forum, but here goes:

Josh, the French are famous for their cheeses.  They have some of the best cheeses in the world.  And American cheese is actually not that great a cheese.  (It has its uses though, as certain properties make it perfect for melting)
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2005, 11:34:04 PM »

Did you just come back from the leadership conference on cheese?

You sure seem to know a lot about it.

And you've spent time in France, too, right? I heard they had a leadership conference on the French health system the other day. Your friends must have gone.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2005, 11:50:04 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2005, 11:52:11 PM by Almost Senator LiberalPA »

Josh, the French are famous for their cheeses.  They have some of the best cheeses in the world.  And American cheese is actually not that great a cheese.  (It has its uses though, as certain properties make it perfect for melting)
i wish i owned a cheesewheel. i want to race one down a hill.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2005, 12:14:19 AM »

i wish i owned a cheesewheel. i want to race one down a hill.
or better yet, take a whole bunch of different types of cheeses, and race them against eachother! i could have a cheesewheel racing league! that would rule! Cheesy
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2005, 06:53:27 AM »

Did you just come back from the leadership conference on cheese?

You sure seem to know a lot about it.

And you've spent time in France, too, right? I heard they had a leadership conference on the French health system the other day. Your friends must have gone.
You can't make edible cheese from pasteurized milk, that's for sure.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2005, 07:54:26 AM »

Talking of Frenchmen, I once had a pen friend who was adamant that the only reason France capitulated to Hitler in 1940 was because French troops were over in the UK defending us!

See, it's not only Chirac who's delusional

Dave
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2005, 07:56:14 AM »

Talking of Frenchmen, I once had a pen friend who was adamant that the only reason France capitulated to Hitler in 1940 was because French troops were over in the UK defending us!

See, it's not only Chirac who's delusional

Dave
Lol, that's weird.

Of course, it's true that there were French troops in England defending you...after you'd evacuated them out in 1940.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2005, 10:45:33 AM »

Any particular reason for bumping it?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies