If you lived next to a Trump supporter, how would you feel?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:41:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If you lived next to a Trump supporter, how would you feel?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: If you lived next to a Trump supporter, how would you feel?  (Read 1027 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 15, 2016, 07:51:54 PM »

If you lived next to a Trump-Pence supporter, and they had large TRUMP signs around their house or apartment window, car, had painted their grass with a Trump and Pence photos, how would you feel?
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 07:53:44 PM »

If you lived next to a Trump-Pence supporter, and they had large TRUMP signs around their house or apartment window, car, had painted their grass with a Trump and Pence photos, how would you feel?
As long as they don't try to force there views on me I would not mind and let them be.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 07:54:07 PM »

If they were that devoted, then a little uneasy (mostly out of concern for my nonwhite neighbors, and how they must feel living near someone this enthusiastic about a candidate with no respect for him), but I'd respect their decision, as foolish as it was.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 07:55:58 PM »

Live next to?  That's really fine.  Live with?  That might be a little harder.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 08:03:01 PM »

Tell me about it. I live with an enthusiastic, stereotypical Trump supporter. Listens to Hannity, Rush, and Herman Cain every day, watches FOX News half of the evening, and proclaims their every word as the total truth. Obama's a n-word who needs to be assassinated, Clinton is a b-word and if she wins our country is done. ObamaCare is tantamount to slavery, refugees are being given houses and ObamaCare on taxpayer money while they plot terrorist attacks, chants "build that wall!" and has said "kill all Democrats." Has two Trump/Pence signs in the front yard, a Hillary For prison pin on a Tebow jersey, and about four pictures of Tim Tebow and Trump mail cards and stickers sitting together.

So, yeah, that's what i get to see and hear every day. I envy people who just have to see it at their neighbor's house...
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 08:06:28 PM »

Tell me about it. I live with an enthusiastic, stereotypical Trump supporter. Listens to Hannity, Rush, and Herman Cain every day, watches FOX News half of the evening, and proclaims their every word as the total truth. Obama's a n-word who needs to be assassinated, Clinton is a b-word and if she wins our country is done. ObamaCare is tantamount to slavery, refugees are being given houses and ObamaCare on taxpayer money while they plot terrorist attacks, chants "build that wall!" and has said "kill all Democrats." Has two Trump/Pence signs in the front yard, a Hillary For prison pin on a Tebow jersey, and about four pictures of Tim Tebow and Trump mail cards and stickers sitting together.

So, yeah, that's what i get to see and hear every day. I envy people who just have to see it at their neighbor's house...

Move out.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 08:08:09 PM »

I would, most definitely, stop saying hi. If his dog were to enter my territory, I would send it to a dog pound. If he were to try to talk to me about it, I would ask a court for a protection order.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 08:18:30 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2016, 09:11:48 PM by angus »

I get a raging hard-on for TRUMP signs, but there aren't any in my neighborhood and it makes me sad.

Well, okay, I'm nearly 50, so I don't get a raging hard-on for much of anything on a frequent basis, but you know what I mean.  The TRUMP signs are kitsch.  My son and I have a game we play where we see who can count the most TRUMP signs.  (Of course 11-year-old children love The Donald.  They're all rooting for him.)  There are no signs in my neighborhood.  Not for Mintzer, not for Hartman, not for Toomey, or McGinty, or Clinton, or Trump, or anyone.  I guess it's not really a yardsign sort of neighborhood, but every saturday I take him to Tae Kwon Do blackbelt training near York--he has been into it for just over three years and October 29 he'll have his black belt test.  yay!--and the training are held every saturday from 10:30 till 12:30 at the Lower Windsor Township gym, about 30 minutes from my crib.  It's in southeastern York County, which is the county just west of here, and apparently deep in TRUMP country.  Within a mile or so of that place there are probably a hundred or more TRUMP signs.  We always say, "TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, etc." when we see them.  There's one block in Lower Windsor Township where just about every house has at least one TRUMP sign on the lawn.  Also, there's a chinese restaurant a few blocks from the gym that gets good reviews on line, but it's across the street from a house with about five CSA battle flags hanging from the porch so I'm a little leery about taking my son to eat there, although we both love good chinese food.

I have noticed that about 2 miles from my house is a neighborhood where there are lots of yardsigns.  On the corner of Lititz Pike and Valley Road, there's a huge blue TRUMP-PENCE sign, right on the corner, at an ornate, old (200-year-old, maybe) house.  We see it every Monday evening when I take my son to piano practice.  Sometimes it can be funny.  You'll see one house with about six or seven TRUMP signs on the front lawn, and just across the street will be six or seven -->Hillary signs in the neighbor's yard.  Like there's a war on.  Each week there's one more TRUMP sign on one side and one more -->Hillary sign on the other side.  By election day there will be enough to wallpaper the Pentagon.  One dude in that same neighborhood even has a TRUMP sign next to a Bernie sign.  That's the guy with a huge pink Jaguar XJ12 and about a hundred pink flamingos in his yard.  Real weirdo.  He has a bunch of gawdy, full-frontal greco-roman statues as well.  His neighbors probably wish he would disappear, but I wish he would have a garage sale some day.  I bet he has many interesting objects d'art inside.

On one level, I think it would be cool to live next to a guy who puts up political yardsigns.  On another level, I'd think it was tacky and I'd be embarassed by it.  If I were on a neighborhood development committee, I'd probably vote against allowing political signs of any sort.  On most issues I'm fairly open-minded.  I support legalized marijuana, prostitution, and the like.  I'm against sex-offender registries and I'm against capital punishment, but I draw the line at political yard signs.  Your right to free speech ends the day you buy a house in my development, know what I mean?  In other neighborhoods, however, they're cute.  It makes for fun driving games.  In more normal years, we'd probably play the game where you bet on whether you see more Candidate A or Candidate B signs in a particular neighborhood.  Winner buys the loser a beer.  (Yeah, I like the reverse rule.  Winner buys for loser.  Makes it more magnanimous.)  This year is weird, though.  Clinton is boring.  I don't much like her but with her at least I know what to expect.  Trump is a real wildcard.  The thought of people voting for him is terrifying and exciting at the same time.  

I actually have a small collection old campaign paraphernalia.  I keep a big CARTER sign on the wall in my basement.  It's green with white lettering.  I acquired it in the eighth grade, just after carter's loss to reagan in the fall of 1980.  Unfortunately it's placed a bit too close to the dartboard and when my son and I play cricket he sometimes gets a little wild with his tosses, so it has become somewhat scuffed.  It's strictly a basement curio, however.  I cannot imagine putting a political yardsign, or any sort of yardsign, on my lawn.  I would like to acquire a TRUMP sign at some point to add to my collection.  Probably I'll put it on the other side of the dartboard.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 08:36:20 PM »

Move out.

I only have a few months left until I finish my degree, then I can. Until then I live by the rule of holding my tongue...

These people are full of rage and completely disinterested in learning anything actually factual, especially since education is a left-wing conspiracy pushing liberal lies. And trust me, the whole argument that they're primarily motivated by economic factors (such as the negative side effects of globalization) is utter nonsense, both empirically (Trump supporters are as wealthy as Cruz supporters and even less likely to be financially insecure than Democrats; their sole distinguishing factor is racial animosity) and anecdotally (I always heard that the unemployed and those on welfare were lazy and refused to work, now I hear they can't find jobs because of immigrants and trade).
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 08:40:58 PM »

Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 09:10:35 PM »

Well considering I live in a 75% plus exurban R district I'd say it's a pretty safe bet most of my neighbors are Trump voters.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 09:35:16 PM »

I probably do, for all I know.  But who displays their political views outside their house these days?  I haven't seen anything like that in my neighborhood, or any other neighborhood I've been in lately.  This must be an "other parts of the country" thing.  (Though the same is true for actually meeting any of your neighbors too.  I hear that still happens in some places.)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2016, 09:39:14 PM »

As long as they don't try to force there views on me I would not mind and let them be.

This.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2016, 11:07:48 PM »

Someone I know from work, who supports Trump, says Trump signs should have an electric current running through them so anyone who tries to steal it is electrocuted.

So, I would not appreciate having Trump neighbors devising ways that could accidentally lead to passerbys being electrocuted.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2016, 11:17:19 PM »

Meh, my dad wanted Trump to win until his recent outbursts. I didn't have a problem with it when he did support Trump. I understood why, seeing how he's a protectionist, supports Putin, and dislikes muslims and blacks. He would have supported Bernie however, and wants a Democratic house and senate.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2016, 11:27:02 PM »

I mean, at this point, pretty much every enthusiastic Trump supporter should be viewed as a potential sexual abuser, at the very least. A court protection order is essential in such cases.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2016, 12:31:19 AM »

Considering I live in the same house as three Trump supporters, unfazed.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2016, 12:33:45 AM »

I live with a Trump supporter, and one who is pretty overtly bigoted at that.  Not great, but not horrible as long as politics don't come up.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2016, 12:34:47 AM »

Oh dear God, save us!  There's a Republican living next door!  He might be a member of the local Moose Lodge!  He drives a Buick!  His wife bakes cookies for church socials!
In Barack Obama's America, these things are frowned upon you see.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2016, 01:07:35 AM »

I haven't seen any Trump signs around my neighborhood. There's a fair number of Mormons, a black family, a couple of Indian families, and at least a couple of Asian families around. I would probably have to question how much the Trump supporter hated living here. As long as they aren't going on about how the neighbors suck because of their religion/race, I don't think I'd have a real issue. For this, I'm assuming that the person is more pro-Trump than just anti-Hillary.

Oh dear God, save us!  There's a Republican living next door!  He might be a member of the local Moose Lodge!  He drives a Buick!  His wife bakes cookies for church socials!

Yeah... I wouldn't be caught dead in a Buick, that's for sure.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2016, 01:16:02 AM »

I live near several Trump supporters. It's fine, I don't interact with my neighbors much anyway, and I hated them when they were odious Romney supporters 4 years ago.

Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2016, 01:22:16 AM »

He might be someone who wants to repeal the 19th amendment!
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2016, 01:43:31 AM »

Considering I live with a Darrell Castle supporter currently and do fine (although we don't talk politics all that often), I doubt it would be that bad to live next to a Trump supporter.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2016, 02:56:44 AM »

I'm rather baffled by the purpose of this thread. Most people in the US live near someone of a different political leaning with a few small exceptions (parts of King county Texas, some precincts in inner cities, some spot in Alaska where the nearest person is 100 miles away, ect). But I guess the question is: if you live next to an overtly obnoxious Trump supporter, what would your reaction be?

For me, it kind of depends. Are they the person who's also been making the awful stench in the building? Or that conservative old couple that I see sometimes who seem happy to hold the door open for me when I have groceries? If its the stank person/people and they're doing things like painting their apartment windows, I might bring it up to the apartment people. If its the old couple, yeah, I very much disagree with them, but despite how wrong I believe them to be, they seem like decent enough people.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2016, 02:38:16 AM »
« Edited: October 17, 2016, 06:12:57 AM by Meclazine »

No problems at all.

Freedom of political opinion in your country is a basic right.

In Australia, no one cares anymore unless you support ONE NATION, then you get the minority muslim groups crying, but apart from that, it's all pretty boring.

But in the USA, the division between Republican and Democrats is sickening to watch as it weakens the country in terms of moving forward.

Everyone enters a personal deadlock once they encounter the other.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies