When are we going to have the confirmation hearings?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:35:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  When are we going to have the confirmation hearings?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When are we going to have the confirmation hearings?  (Read 1509 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 03, 2005, 05:34:25 PM »

Well?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 05:35:26 PM »

Presumably after Bush nominates someone.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 05:35:59 PM »

Presumably after Bush nominates someone.

You know what I mean.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 05:36:09 PM »

The Constitution requires that the Budget must be approved before the Senate can "move on to any other matter." Thus, I feel compelled (unfortunately) to delay the hearings until the Budget is approved.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 05:37:10 PM »

The Constitution requires that the Budget must be approved before the Senate can "move on to any other matter." Thus, I feel compelled (unfortunately) to delay the hearings until the Budget is approved.

No one anticipated this problem during the drafting of the Constitution?  Unbelievable.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 06:00:57 PM »

No one anticipated this problem during the drafting of the Constitution?  Unbelievable.

I believe I remember stating something like this when we were debating the budget amendment in the Senate, I am not certain since I have not been able to look at that thread. Since the Constitution copies that amendment almost word for word I would ask Sam if you have any problems with it.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2005, 06:37:47 PM »

I believe I remember stating something like this when we were debating the budget amendment in the Senate, I am not certain since I have not been able to look at that thread. Since the Constitution copies that amendment almost word for word I would ask Sam if you have any problems with it.

For all I know, I probably signed off on the damn thing.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005, 09:55:29 PM »

That omission is clearly my fault.  I don't know whether you mentioned it during the debate of the amendment, Colin, but if you did, then I apologize.  I thought that I had covered every matter in the amendment, but I guess I made a mistake.

Right now Section 8, Clause 6 (the relevant clause) reads:

"The Senate must approve each and every Budget before moving on to any other matter."

In order to clear up the problem, I would urge the clause to read:

"The Senate must approve each and every Budget before moving on to any other matter, except for Presidential nominations, PPT elections. or other similarly urgent matters at the beginning of a session of the Senate."

My suggestion to Emsworth is to bring up the nominations, and let's have a vote on them (damn the Constitution).  Smiley 

My rationale for this is that I doubt that anyone would object to us holding hearings in the same way that no one is presentlyobjecting to us holding a PPT election vote (which is technically illegal under the way the clause means right now).

As for right now, I will introduce a relevant amendment to the Consitution on the Legislation Introduction thread.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005, 10:15:01 PM »

My suggestion to Emsworth is to bring up the nominations, and let's have a vote on them.
I had considered interpreting the clause so that "matter" refers to legislation, but I felt that there might be an objection.

If no Senator objects, I will open confirmation hearings in a little while.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2005, 03:45:18 AM »

Colin and I simply trusted that the Senate had gotten it right since they had had full deliberations on the matter.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2005, 09:26:36 AM »
« Edited: July 04, 2005, 09:28:55 AM by Emsworth »

There appears to be no objection. Therefore, I am prepared to make my decision:

Article I, Section 8, Clause 6's requirement that "The Senate must approve each and every Budget before moving on to any other matter" applies only to legislation. The original intent of those who framed the clause appears to be that "matter" refers to bills, not to the swearing-in of Senators, presidential nominations, the election of the President pro tempore, or procedural votes.

Confirmation hearings will open shortly.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies