Opinion of mandatory driverless cars. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:18:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of mandatory driverless cars. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Support banning human drivers?
Yes and inevitable

No but inevitable

Yes but your being paranoid

No it will never happen

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Opinion of mandatory driverless cars.  (Read 1206 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: October 17, 2016, 07:57:19 AM »

I can see them becoming required on limited access highways, that driving licenses will become both harder to obtain and easier to lose, and that insurance costs for manually driven vehicles will be much higher than for driverless cars. However, I don't foresee a total ban happening within the next fifty years. Beyond that time frame, technology is likely to change so much that speculation becomes pointless.
I agree, word for word, with this.  I enjoy driving and will likely be one of the last people doing it, but I'd be ok with being chauffeured by a computer if I still have opportunity to drive on tracks or to use other manually operated motorized vehicles for fun.

I voted no, but inevitable.

(and it's always funny to see people that think tech is about to kill us all, "oh no!  the train is about to come through the screen and run us all over!", "DON'T TURN ON THAT ATOM SMASHER, YOU COULD MAKE A BLACK HOLE!", "if you set off a nuclear bomb, you'll set the atmosphere on fire".
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 02:16:57 AM »

I would much rather be around automobiles operated by machines than automobiles operated by people. How many people each year do you think are killed by automobiles as a result of human error?
~95% of them.  Mechanical failure and extremely bad luck make up the rest.  Driverless cars will save many thousands of lives a year just driving drunks home.

I suspect when the majority of cars have some of the better modern safety features on them (like the auto emergency braking, stay in your lane assist, adaptive cruise control, etc), we'll see traffic fatalities drop even faster than they have been (and they've been plummeting for forty years).

Now if we can automatically get people out of the passing lane who aren't passing!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies