Ex-GOP strategist Rick Wilson is trying to build new party out of #NeverTrump (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:56:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ex-GOP strategist Rick Wilson is trying to build new party out of #NeverTrump (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ex-GOP strategist Rick Wilson is trying to build new party out of #NeverTrump  (Read 2484 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« on: October 18, 2016, 11:59:35 AM »

What is the party for fiscal hawks (you know, folks who don't want to screw future generations by maxing out government debt up to a point just short of economic implosion), who want effective and efficient governance, with a reasonable social safety net (even if that means the government will continue to take about the same share of the GDP as it does now), and a tolerance for diversity in this country?

Not the one you're in...
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 01:45:39 PM »

I really think people are overestimating the chances that GOP primary voters are going to keep nominating Trump-like candidates.  It's very possible that the party goes back to nominating more "normal" candidates in 2020.  In which case, this effort to split off and form a non-Trump conservative party would be rather pointless.

This.  These same folks nominated Romney.  The GOP primary electorate has barely changed since 2012, and the main way it did was a bunch of people who didn't normally vote showing up to vote SPECIFICALLY FOR TRUMP, and - as I have detailed before - their various reasons were hardly the making of a coherent (much less lasting) ideology.

"Trumpist" doesn't mean anything.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 04:51:15 PM »

I think you misunderstand me: I'm simply stating that as one of the few (only?) differences between the 2012 and 2016 GOP electorate, and saying that because I believe a lot of those non-regular voters were turning out specifically for Donald J. Trump, they're not as likely to return.  I'm not saying that's why he won, and in fact my main point is that there were several reasons he won (a huge reason being media attention), none of which was this unanimous and enthusiastic endorsement of all of his policy positions by the GOP electorate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies