Trump suggests that voting non-citizens made Dem/Obama victories possible
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:47:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump suggests that voting non-citizens made Dem/Obama victories possible
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump suggests that voting non-citizens made Dem/Obama victories possible  (Read 1277 times)
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 17, 2016, 07:33:11 PM »

@realDonaldTrump suggests "non-citizen votes" may have made the difference in electing some Democrats, including state wins for Obama
https://twitter.com/jessieopie/status/788168638754762753?lang=de
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 07:34:01 PM »

Aka anyone who isn't white should be a "noncitizen".
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 07:35:36 PM »

Aka anyone who isn't white should be a "noncitizen".
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 08:24:32 PM »

Completely within the mainstream of Republican voter opinion.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 08:39:38 PM »

Or gay, or female, or just generally anyone who doesn't vote Trump.

There are literally Trump supporters who think that 80% of the country is behind Trump and the polls / votes are rigged against him by the millions. I've met them.
BoAtlantis

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 08:58:20 PM »

On the other hand, giving uneducated people the right to vote made Trump's nomination possible.
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 09:03:34 PM »

Why am I not suprised that trump would say that.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 09:15:37 PM »

There are literally Trump supporters who think that 80% of the country is behind Trump and the polls / votes are rigged against him by the millions. I've met them.

Absolutely.   To some of them it's completely unthinkable that Trump gets anything less than a massive landslide unless there is mass voter fraud by all these "non-citizens" (aka people not like us).
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 09:17:03 PM »

Wow, I cant even imagine what I would say or do if I met someone speaking like that.
I think I would laugh out loud, which would probably offend them.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 09:19:05 PM »

Can't wait to get this monster out of the spotlight.
BoAtlantis

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 09:30:21 PM »

I met someone few days ago arguing with his friend in a subway.

He thinks illegals vote twice for Hillary. You can meet those kinds of people even in NYC, where Hillary will win in a landslide.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 09:31:07 PM »

He may be right. Maybe. Some non-citizens vote in some parts of California, New York. (Corona, Queens, etc.)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 09:36:35 PM »

Trump seems to be referring to a study done a few years ago that said something like 5% of non-citizens vote and 80% vote Dem, and using that math they would account for differences in close elections like Al Franken and Obama winning NC.  The study was met with skepticism based on sample sizes. 

Certainly some non-citizens slip through and vote, but even that study would say it was a fraction of 1% of all votes. And since then there have been more voter ID laws put in place.

But all of that is besides the point, Trump is grasping at anything now to de-legitimize the election. I'm sure he is going to start talking about Black Panthers and polling places and dead people in Chicago voting soon. It's all rigged. He is actually winning. etc.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 09:37:22 PM »

He may be right. Maybe. Some non-citizens vote in some parts of California, New York. (Corona, Queens, etc.)

A fundamental problem in this country are people who think they know something, but they don't.  You are a fundamental problem with this country.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 10:28:33 PM »

A fundamental problem in this country are people who think they know something, but they don't.  You are a fundamental problem with this country.

I'm just voicing something I know. You think non-citizens don't try to vote?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 10:30:42 PM »

0 proof, yet you assert it as fact. Voting is not as easy as Trump makes it seem.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 11:22:25 PM »

0 proof, yet you assert it as fact. Voting is not as easy as Trump makes it seem.

I'm pretty some might try but it's highly unlikely more than literally a tiny negligible percentage manage to succeed, if any.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 11:28:18 PM »

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 12:25:09 AM »
« Edited: October 18, 2016, 12:31:23 AM by Alcon »

Eh...the thing about that graphic is that most incidences of voter fraud probably never result in any accusation.  I've ran into a handful of likely incidences of voter fraud just through work.  Most of the times it's consent-based voter fraud (wife voting/signing for a husband).  Sometimes it's a little sketchier -- people voting for children when they're off at college, and it's ambiguous if it's with permission.  I've also seen a few voter registrations of people who are definitely not supposed to be registered.  A non-citizen who kidnapped and murdered a kid here a while back was registered (although hadn't ever voted).  One lady successfully registered her dog, although security has improved since then.  I just checked our state voter database, and a 17-year-old voted in the August primary.

Most of these cases were never flagged, or wouldn't have been if extraordinary circumstances weren't involved.  Voter fraud does happen, and there are plenty of false negatives.  I've just never seen evidence of systematic voter fraud like the sort many Republicans assume occurs in minority communities...especially with poll voting.  But I flinch when I see "only 35 credible allegations," because I think most Republicans wouldn't buy that as the full picture, and they'd be right not to.
Seattle
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 12:34:54 AM »

I think you can vote in the WA primary (and for sure, you can register to vote) if you turn 18 by the general election date. Though if you only found one, maybe that's not the case.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 12:36:43 AM »

Eh...the thing about that graphic is that most incidences of voter fraud probably never result in any accusation.  I've ran into a handful of likely incidences of voter fraud just through work.  Most of the times it's consent-based voter fraud (wife voting/signing for a husband).  Sometimes it's a little sketchier -- people voting for children when they're off at college, and it's ambiguous if it's with permission.  I've also seen a few voter registrations of people who are definitely not supposed to be registered.  A non-citizen who kidnapped and murdered a kid here a while back was registered (although hadn't ever voted).  One lady successfully registered her dog, although security has improved since then.  I just checked our state voter database, and a 17-year-old voted in the August primary.

Most of these cases were never flagged, or wouldn't have been if extraordinary circumstances weren't involved.  Voter fraud does happen, and there are plenty of false negatives.  I've just never seen evidence of systematic voter fraud like the sort many Republicans assume occurs in minority communities...especially with poll voting.  But I flinch when I see "only 35 credible allegations," because I think most Republicans wouldn't buy that as the full picture, and they'd be right not to.

But how many Republicans believe things like Obama only won in 2012 (or even 2008) because of illegal immigrants voting or nonsense like that? Only 35 cases is FAR closer to reality than any of that crap.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 12:41:43 AM »

Another day, another lie from Donald Trump.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2016, 12:47:09 AM »
« Edited: October 18, 2016, 12:52:59 AM by Alcon »

I think you can vote in the WA primary (and for sure, you can register to vote) if you turn 18 by the general election date. Though if you only found one, maybe that's not the case.

I believe that's the Democratic caucus only.  You can register here at 17 as long as you'll be 18 before the next General Election, but you can't vote until you're 18.  According to my database, 2,771 Washington voters registered before the August primary even though they wouldn't be 18 for the primary.  There's a number of voters who turned 18 on the primary day or the days before who are credited for the August primary.   However, there is one voter -- a guy from Kitsap County with a date of birth of November 3, 1998 -- who is credited as voting despite being 17.  He voted in the May presidential primary, too.

A few years back, following the 2004 Washington Governor's recount, conservative activists found quite a number of 17-year-olds who voted after improperly being issued ballots.  They seem to have fixed the improper ballot issuance issue...but maybe under weird circumstances (like if the voter calls up and requests a ballot or something) their stopgaps fail.

This stuff happens.  I mostly consider it inevitable large-system error (and I assume it's often even unintentional), but I don't like downplaying it like there have only been 35 cases.  I have no doubt there have been way more.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2016, 12:58:19 AM »

Another day, another lie from Donald Trump.

He must have cut way down.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2016, 11:19:00 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2016, 11:26:19 PM by iBizzBee »

You all thought I was joking. These are close people to me whom in every other respect are bright and intelligent; I can't even begin.

I guess we can also be expecting #BattlegroundDC?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies