Which major party is CURRENTLY the party of Patriotism?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:20:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Which major party is CURRENTLY the party of Patriotism?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Which major party is CURRENTLY the party of Patriotism?  (Read 1887 times)
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2016, 04:38:30 PM »

I've been pondering about this for a while. Trump has become popular among many people that America is falling apart.

Many people thought of this as ironic since the GOP really advocated for Patriotism heavily like in past conventions.

During the DNC, the Democrats enthusiastically shouted USA repeatedly and the narritave is the same...

..."America is already great!"

What are your thoughts on this matter?
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 04:41:52 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2016, 04:43:28 PM by clash »

The Democrats, I suppose. The greater question is whether America as it currently exists merits patriotism.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 04:48:10 PM »

Technically, Republicans have been the hardcore patriots since the Civil War.
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 04:48:38 PM »

Certainly not the one that wants the American people to eat old food, drink dirty water and sides with russia.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 04:49:36 PM »

Democrats are the party of people who whine constantly about how America as a country is problematic.  Republicans are currently whining about how the state of America is problematic. There's a difference.
anthonyjg
anty1691

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -7.48

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 04:50:34 PM »

Neither, no party owns patriotism.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 04:54:29 PM »

White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 04:56:26 PM »

Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 05:02:28 PM »

I think the far right has corrupted the term "Patriotism" and warped it into a situational definition that is so disgusting. They think that voting Democratic is an act of treason. They claim to love America so much that they hate most groups of Americans and hate everything that makes this country great. They say there aren't any race problems yet they clamor for Donald Trump to put Black people back in their 1950s places and call Colin Kapernick an ungrateful n***er. 

I may not buy the "Greatest country in the world" line, but I know for a fact that it most definitely can be. Part of that starts with getting rid of quite a few people who call themselves "Patriots" yet fly the official flag of the group of states that fought a war to leave the country they claim to love so they could continue to own slaves.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 05:35:02 PM »

Democrats, of course.

Republicans are literally traitors at this point.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 05:36:25 PM »

HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 06:17:02 PM »

Trump's campaign has pretty much been unbridled America bashing, unlike anything the Democrats have done even in their most negative campaigns. It's clearly not the GOP.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 06:42:47 PM »

Democrats, of course.

I know I've said this before, but traitors to what, exactly?

Anyway, patriotism is a hilarious concept with no basis in reality and both parties use it as a weapon against anyone who opposes the State apparatus or even those within the state apparatus, like the above.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 06:59:52 PM »

Democrats, of course.

To their country, isn't that obvious in this context? Huh

They are actively conspiring with the leader of the country that currently poses the greatest threat to the United States and to freedom worldwide.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 07:18:41 PM »

Democrats, of course.

They are actively conspiring with the leader of the country that currently poses the greatest threat to the United States and to freedom worldwide.
How can one betray an entity that exists only in ones mind?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 07:49:30 PM »

Democrats, of course.

makes u think
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 07:56:21 PM »

Democrats, of course.

makes u think
Aside from your mindless parroting of memes, I suggest you actually do think, and attempt to understand my position rather than simply throwing the baby out with the crib simply because I lack the ability to explain my thoughts in a cohesive manner.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 08:09:07 PM »

Evan Mccallum Independents
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 10:06:45 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2016, 10:16:10 PM by Green Line »

Democrats, of course.

Wow, Deplorable.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 10:33:31 PM »

Democrats, of course.

makes u think
Aside from your mindless parroting of memes, I suggest you actually do think, and attempt to understand my position rather than simply throwing the baby out with the crib simply because I lack the ability to explain my thoughts in a cohesive manner.

You're the one who began this exchange, so I'm afraid the burden of proving the validity of your point falls on you.

And I understand your "position". It's just one among many instance of people taking a commendable idea (one I'm very sympathetic to, no less) and taking it to ridiculous extremes by forgetting the obvious facts of the situation. You don't need to be a raging nationalist to realize that Putin is a threat.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2016, 04:58:08 AM »

Neither, lean D
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2016, 05:44:28 AM »

Democrats, of course.

makes u think

You're the one who began this exchange, so I'm afraid the burden of proving the validity of your point falls on you.

And I understand your "position". It's just one among many instance of people taking a commendable idea (one I'm very sympathetic to, no less) and taking it to ridiculous extremes by forgetting the obvious facts of the situation. You don't need to be a raging nationalist to realize that Putin is a threat.
I shall make an attempt then.

The idea of a "country" is an idea held together only be force. There is no single country that is a natural creation, all of them were formed through force and exploitation(not to mention in many cases, genocide) that created an identity that is based upon government and place of birth, which, if you are as you say are, an anti-nationalist; you will understand is itself a false premise.

Scaremongering about Putin is just silly, he does not have the "hard power" to take on the US or especially NATO and he's not an idiot, just a tyrant who wishes to expand the soft and hard power of his State.

If that came of as too sympathetic to Putin, it wasn't meant to.

(I have no idea if what I have written will have my desired effect or even if it is anything more then the writings of a madman to you, but I tried)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2016, 12:24:36 PM »

This isn't wrong per se. As I said, I don't disagree with the general idea.

What's silly about your position is that, by claiming to explain why a country doesn't exist, you've actually explained why it does. It exists because 1. people, here and abroad, believe it does and act on this basis, and 2. because there is an institutional structure that keeps it together. Both these things are tangible realities. By ignoring them, you're choosing to live in your own fantasy world.

Now, to the extent that people treat countries as meaningful constructs, some people's actions are going to have positive or negative repercussions on all (or at least most) inhabitants of a given country. Putin's actions are aimed at undermining democracy and economic stability in most Western countries, including the US. This means that he's actively screwing over the 300k inhabitants of this country.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2016, 01:40:08 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2016, 01:43:43 PM by Murica! »

What's silly about your position is that, by claiming to explain why a country doesn't exist, you've actually explained why it does. It exists because 1. people, here and abroad, believe it does and act on this basis, and 2. because there is an institutional structure that keeps it together. Both these things are tangible realities. By ignoring them, you're choosing to live in your own fantasy world.

Now, to the extent that people treat countries as meaningful constructs, some people's actions are going to have positive or negative repercussions on all (or at least most) inhabitants of a given country. Putin's actions are aimed at undermining democracy and economic stability in most Western countries, including the US. This means that he's actively screwing over the 300k inhabitants of this country.
I don't believe I ever said that "countries" don't exist, simply that they are mere illusions. Of course, I am too poor of a writer to accurately describe my thoughts on the subject, but once again I shall try. Of course the State is tangible, what I'm trying to say is that countries do not exist as, how should I say it? True entities? Entities with meaning? I don't know, I trust that you are intelligent enough to get the gist of what im saying.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2016, 01:42:47 PM »

I don't believe I ever said that "countries" don't exist, simply that they are mere illusions.

Illusion or not, my point the existence of countries ties together (to some extent) the fates of people who live in a given one. Therefore, conspiring with a genuine enemy of the US means conspiring against all Americans.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies