Trump calls for congressional term limits
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:08:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump calls for congressional term limits
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump calls for congressional term limits  (Read 1485 times)
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2016, 05:05:55 PM »

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-calls-for-congressional-term-limits-lobbyist-crackdown/ar-AAj7679?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

Trump actually making proposals I agree with? Next we need to get rid of the electoral college and I'll have a little more faith in our democracy.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 05:18:03 PM »

I'm sure congressional Republicans will LOVE being asked about this. 
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 05:18:46 PM »

arguably only to get rid of ryan.

(2011 he was against term limits)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 05:25:25 PM »

He's shotgunning, hoping something will catch fire for him. In a good way. Expect more such bite-sized idea tossing until he gets bored with it or has a runaway hit.
Arbitrage1980
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 05:57:34 PM »

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-calls-for-congressional-term-limits-lobbyist-crackdown/ar-AAj7679?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

Trump actually making proposals I agree with? Next we need to get rid of the electoral college and I'll have a little more faith in our democracy.

One of the few things that Trump has said that I wholeheartedly agree with. I have been in favor of congressional term limits for quite some time.

As for the electoral college, we are a constitutional republic, not a pure democracy. I thank the wisdom of the founding fathers.
rafta_rafta

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 06:01:03 PM »

This is Kellyanne conway's strategy to frame an anti establishment message without appearing too caustic. I doubt Trump thought of it all on his own.

On topic, Term limits are a good idea though it should at least allow people to serve 20-25 years
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 06:07:25 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2016, 06:09:20 PM by Heisenberg »

Not a fan of term limits. What's worst of all are those who want a limit of six years for the House. Who'd be speaker? Someone inexperienced and incompetent? I actulally think Ryan is pretty good as a Congressional leader.
Edit: Yes, he said only 6 years for House.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 06:12:55 PM »

There's a legitimate argument against term limits, in that they exacerbate the 'revolving door' between congress and lobbying. 
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 06:15:33 PM »

Looks like there's a thing we agree on! Not enough to get my vote, though.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 06:16:27 PM »

There's a legitimate argument against term limits, in that they exacerbate the 'revolving door' between congress and lobbying. 
That too. It's a disaster waiting to happen.
Arbitrage1980
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 06:20:26 PM »

Not a fan of term limits. What's worst of all are those who want a limit of six years for the House. Who'd be speaker? Someone inexperienced and incompetent? I actulally think Ryan is pretty good as a Congressional leader.

Why does that argument apply to Congress but not the Presidency? The latter is significantly more complex and difficult of a job, but after 2 full terms, the 22nd Amendment requires the President to step down and be replaced by someone who has never done the job.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 06:23:20 PM »

I'm for it .... but not limited to 6 years, that is way-too little.
12 or 18 years for both the House and Senate.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 06:24:49 PM »

Term limits have no real value. The legislative term limits in California were a revolving door where a legislator would enter the Assembly, term out and then run for State Senate. Before the term limits law was changed, a lot of inexperienced legislators received leadership positions. That still happens to a certain extent, but it's getting better. In Congress, that would be a disaster and would compound the messes that are already going on there.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 06:55:08 PM »

I used to believe in term limits, but not anymore. You vote out the incumbent if you don't like them. Run candidates in EVERY seat, even if it is Safe Democratic or Safe Republican.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 07:00:21 PM »

Term Limits really aren't as good as they sound.   It leaves the lobbyist as the experienced group with all the knowledge of how things work, while the elected officials are focused on short term goals to make themselves look good.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 07:02:05 PM »

We do already have two forms of term limits in this country: elections and mortality
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 07:04:15 PM »

Looks like he's just trolling Ryan at this point.

Anyway, legislative term limits are an absolutely terrible idea. I wish California would do away with them, but of course that won't happen.
Rocky Rockefeller
Nelson Rockefeller 152
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.00

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 07:05:39 PM »

What's it they say about broken clocks?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 07:13:13 PM »

Boo
rafta_rafta

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 07:14:00 PM »

Why does that argument apply to Congress but not the Presidency? The latter is significantly more complex and difficult of a job, but after 2 full terms, the 22nd Amendment requires the President to step down and be replaced by someone who has never done the job.

The talent pool for being elected President is much bigger - candidates are usually well versed in government before they mount a serious bid. They have a full fledged transition team available before election and a support structure.

On the other hand , the House has 435 members. Their staff is far smaller in comparison which makes the work of an inexperienced Rep much harder.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 09:34:07 PM »

Because it doesn't, "really". The 22nd was only passed because FDR got four terms and people were afraid of a popular leader being basically "President for Life" in the future.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 09:38:36 PM »

Not a fan of term limits. What's worst of all are those who want a limit of six years for the House. Who'd be speaker? Someone inexperienced and incompetent? I actually think Ryan is pretty good as a Congressional leader.

The idea, though, is that the President has already gotten experience from being in Congress or in a Cabinet. Speakership likewise. You don't want a President to have to spend his first four years learning how to do his job, whereas a Representative has 1) less to figure out and 2) more leeway to do so. Plus, a Congressman probably has already had local experience anyway.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2016, 12:37:43 AM »

How about banning lobbyists from the capitol building and a few block area around it?  That would be much more effective.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2016, 12:43:32 AM »

How about banning lobbyists from the capitol building and a few block area around it?  That would be much more effective.

Yeah, that's a great idea. I'm tired of hearing retired Senators whine about how much new yachts cost.
Trapsy

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2016, 01:07:19 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies