Democrats only: do you agree with the DSCC yanking spending in Florida?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:27:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Democrats only: do you agree with the DSCC yanking spending in Florida?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Democrats only:  do you agree with the DSCC yanking spending in Florida?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Democrats only: do you agree with the DSCC yanking spending in Florida?  (Read 897 times)
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2016, 07:07:20 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/dscc-no-florida-senate-race-funding-229938
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 07:43:45 PM »

I'm iffy on this. I really wish Clinton had gone hard at Rubio, even with her own resources, just to damage him or even completely remove him as a risk in 2020 to her or whoever runs.

However, this is really an all-or-nothing deal. It would have been very expensive and not a guaranteed win, especially if they couldn't turn Hispanics against him (and I'm not convinced they could have, especially considering that they didn't abandon him even after he stuck by Trump).

Either way, I'm sure the DSCC didn't make this decision lightly.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 07:45:41 PM »

I can't claim to know what their internals show, but if Flawless Beautiful Marco Purple heart Purple heart Purple heart hangs on by less than 3%, we'll know that they made the wrong choice.
Fitzgerald
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -5.91

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 08:38:46 PM »

I can see the logic, but I would have stuck with it until the end. Murphy is a pretty terrible candidate, but so is Rubio, so the situation really isn't comparable to Ohio.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 08:50:15 PM »

Yes and no. Yes because it's obvious his advantages with Hispanics (including Puerto Ricans) in a state where Democrats need Hispanics to win statewide make him tough to beat, no because Flawless Beautiful Marco Purple heart Purple heart is somebody who worries me in 2020 and knocking him out now would be crucial for the future of the Democratic party.

Then again, I'm sure the DSCC and the PACs both know something we don't. It may be close, but the last 2-3% is too tough of a nut to crack to get Murphy over the hump when there are easier flips elsewhere (i.e. Kander in MO and Ross in NC)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 10:24:58 PM »

Yes. We have limited resources and it makes no sense to spend so much on a lean-R race when there are as many as five States which could easily go all-Republican or all-Democrat.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 10:48:52 PM »

Yes. We have limited resources and it makes no sense to spend so much on a lean-R race when there are as many as five States which could easily go all-Republican or all-Democrat.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 11:31:05 PM »

Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 01:20:35 AM »

I would've redirected some of the resources, but I wouldn't have totally abandoned Murphy
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 01:40:21 AM »

How much money are Harris and Sanchez gobbling up?

(No. No, I do not agree.)
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 01:57:46 AM »

I think it's fair enough to mostly focus on New Hampshire/Pennsylvania/Missouri/Nevada/North Carolina, but not sure if I'd completely cut off Florida. That said, I dunno how much money had to be spent to knock off the remaining 2-3% required to beat Rubio in Florida without compromising one of the true toss-ups.
syntaxerror
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.04

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 07:00:13 AM »

Florida is an expensive market, so yes, from a triangulation perspective it was right.

But maybe some outside PACS or Clinton herself can pick up the slack and pull Murphy across the 2-3% needed.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 08:04:17 AM »

Yes, since it means more money for other races.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 08:16:33 AM »

I voted no, but on second thought, probably yes because limited rescources.

Doesn't mean its not sad though Sad
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 08:22:39 AM »

Resources are being fecklessly thrown away in Arizona and whatever other states are not needed in the Presidential election. This should have been a top priority, and our party is stupid for not giving every cent needed here.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 09:34:30 AM »

I suppose I see why (money can be allocated more effectively), but I don't like the message of letting one of the Republicans very vey conservative potential future contenders off the hook.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 09:57:56 AM »

I guess the bright side of this is that Murphy's career will be over.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2016, 11:37:26 AM »

Yeah, Murphy pissed away a winnable Senate seat by not agreeing to the debates and well, being Murphy. The FL-Dems need to get their act together if they want to win statewide. As it is, Im surprised they even got Nelson
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2016, 12:10:35 PM »

Yeah, Murphy pissed away a winnable Senate seat by not agreeing to the debates and well, being Murphy. The FL-Dems need to get their act together if they want to win statewide. As it is, Im surprised they even got Nelson

They did, they just didn't expect Rubio to return.

Are you gonna blame IN-GOP as incompetent too because oh Bayh's return?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 12:26:54 PM »

They did, they just didn't expect Rubio to return.

Are you gonna blame IN-GOP as incompetent too because oh Bayh's return?

I don't blame the Dems for thinking Murphy was a good candidate. I blame Murphy for being a terrible candidate.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2016, 12:34:39 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2016, 12:41:39 PM by Adam T »

Latest poll has Murphy down by just 2%.  This decision is ridiculous.  Defeat of Rubio would be a symbolic victory in a number of ways although Murphy himself doesn't seem to be much, if any, better:

1.It would mark an end of the Tea Party.
2.It would mark an end of the supposed Republican Party Great Latino Hope.
3.It would be a defeat for shallow, mindless talking point politics perfectly embodied by the shallow, mindless Rubio.

Of course, it would also help win another Senate Seat.  I can understand the reluctance though: there are a number of other very close Senate races in much cheaper states. 
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2016, 12:41:23 PM »

Latest poll has Murphy down by just 2%.  This decision is ridiculous.  Defeat of Rubio would be a symbolic victory in a number of ways although Murphy himself doesn't seem to be much, if any, better:

3.It would be a defeat for shallow, mindless talking point politics perfectly embodied by the shallow, mindless Rubio.

One would have to assume they know things we don't. Perhaps Rubio's lead is bigger and more durable then public polls suggest. If Rubio was constantly performing so weakly in more accurate internal polls, it's hard to see them pulling out.

On the other hand, maybe his lead becomes smaller and he becomes more vulnerable after they pull(ed) out, in which case it makes their decision a huge blunder.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2016, 12:48:58 PM »

Latest poll has Murphy down by just 2%.  This decision is ridiculous.  Defeat of Rubio would be a symbolic victory in a number of ways although Murphy himself doesn't seem to be much, if any, better:

One would have to assume they know things we don't. Perhaps Rubio's lead is bigger and more durable then public polls suggest. If Rubio was constantly performing so weakly in more accurate internal polls, it's hard to see them pulling out.

On the other hand, maybe his lead becomes smaller and he becomes more vulnerable after they pull(ed) out, in which case it makes their decision a huge blunder.

It's possible, some other recent polls given Rubio a wider lead and Murphy apparently isn't well known in much of Florida.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2016, 02:03:31 PM »

https://apnews.com/52e309263a0a466db54d16be8f0adb85

AP Politics
Democrats not willing to spend on Florida race, aiding Rubio

And with Trump dragging down Republican candidates across the country, some here see a potential path to victory not just for Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, but also for Murphy, a second-term congressman with low name recognition.

"Sen. Rubio is a fatally flawed candidate and apparently some of the major newspapers in Florida felt the same way," said Jim Manley, a Democratic consultant in Washington and former aide to Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada. "I only hope the DSCC is going to reconsider and start pouring money into the race, because he's beatable."

A spokeswoman for the Senate Democratic committee, Sadie Weiner, declined to comment on the group's spending decisions. She said Murphy "has done an outstanding job in this race," adding: "We've been proud to endorse Patrick and help his campaign with targeted investments and we will continue that for the next three weeks."

But the Democrats' pull-back from Florida has angered some of the state's top donors, who have been unsuccessfully pleading with New York Sen. Chuck Schumer, who is closely involved with DSCC decision-making, to rethink the call.

The Senate Majority PAC, a super PAC run by former aides to Reid and Schumer, also is spending only a fraction of what it had planned, erasing its remaining ad buy for Murphy.

Democrats with knowledge of the spending decisions argue it is prohibitively expensive to advertise in Florida. Advertising by outside groups costs some $3 million a week compared to $1.5 million a week in North Carolina, $1 million a week in Indiana and $750,000 a week in Missouri.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2016, 03:19:31 PM »

https://apnews.com/52e309263a0a466db54d16be8f0adb85

AP Politics
Democrats not willing to spend on Florida race, aiding Rubio

And with Trump dragging down Republican candidates across the country, some here see a potential path to victory not just for Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, but also for Murphy, a second-term congressman with low name recognition.

"Sen. Rubio is a fatally flawed candidate and apparently some of the major newspapers in Florida felt the same way," said Jim Manley, a Democratic consultant in Washington and former aide to Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada. "I only hope the DSCC is going to reconsider and start pouring money into the race, because he's beatable."

A spokeswoman for the Senate Democratic committee, Sadie Weiner, declined to comment on the group's spending decisions. She said Murphy "has done an outstanding job in this race," adding: "We've been proud to endorse Patrick and help his campaign with targeted investments and we will continue that for the next three weeks."

But the Democrats' pull-back from Florida has angered some of the state's top donors, who have been unsuccessfully pleading with New York Sen. Chuck Schumer, who is closely involved with DSCC decision-making, to rethink the call.

The Senate Majority PAC, a super PAC run by former aides to Reid and Schumer, also is spending only a fraction of what it had planned, erasing its remaining ad buy for Murphy.

Democrats with knowledge of the spending decisions argue it is prohibitively expensive to advertise in Florida. Advertising by outside groups costs some $3 million a week compared to $1.5 million a week in North Carolina, $1 million a week in Indiana and $750,000 a week in Missouri.

C'mon, Chuck, he weaselled out of the Gang of 8 Bill! Ugh.

At least it somewhat validates my decision not to vote for him this year. (Schumer)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies