IN-SEN: Bayh and Young debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:12:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IN-SEN: Bayh and Young debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IN-SEN: Bayh and Young debate  (Read 775 times)
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2016, 08:18:06 PM »
« edited: October 18, 2016, 08:27:49 PM by heatcharger »

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2016/10/18/evan-bayh-todd-young-sling-mud-senate-debate/92299612/

Here's a video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akcq5ycw1sI

It was a pretty typical debate, as Young predictably attacked Bayh for being a corporate lobbyist and his vote on Obamacare, and mentioned that he was a Marine a bunch of times. Young also flip-flopped on the TPP as well.

Bayh was sharper than I expected from someone who hasn't been in an election in 12 years, and he attacked Young for attempts to defund Medicare and privatize Social Security, which is probably the best line of attack Indiana Democrats really have to offer.

Oh, and there was a Libertarian there as well lol.

I don't really think Young did as good of a job as he could have, and didn't bait Bayh into anything that could've been ad fodder, so I guess it was a win for Bayh.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 09:27:12 PM »

Both candidates did a good job and got their main points and attacks out there. Bayh has always been a solid debator and Young held his own against him. This debate won't change much, so I guess Evan Bayh did what he needed to do. Still a tilt D toss up.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 09:56:15 PM »

No undecided voter is ever going to watch a non-Presidential debate.

The only purpose these things still serve is generating lines for attack ads.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 11:56:01 PM »

What's Bayh's stance on TPP?
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 12:07:03 AM »

Interesting how Young kept calling Bayh the "deciding vote" for Obamacare, and Bayh never tried to shake that off. Republicans have attacked many different Democratic Senators as "the deciding vote." I wouldn't really call any one Democrat THE deciding vote, but strong cases can be made for Specter (party switch), Ben Nelson (last to announce IIRC), Ron Wyden (last in alphabetical roll call), and Franken (recount crap).
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 12:40:37 AM »

Interesting how Young kept calling Bayh the "deciding vote" for Obamacare, and Bayh never tried to shake that off. Republicans have attacked many different Democratic Senators as "the deciding vote." I wouldn't really call any one Democrat THE deciding vote, but strong cases can be made for Specter (party switch), Ben Nelson (last to announce IIRC), Ron Wyden (last in alphabetical roll call), and Franken (recount crap).

Callahan should use that as an attack on Wyden. "My name starts with C, unlike my opponent, whose name starts with W."
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 12:47:06 AM »

Obamacare has, at worse, 50/50 favorability now but Republicans obviously think this is 2010.
Next thing you know they'll try to tie their Democratic opponents to Mike Dukakis.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 01:14:22 AM »

>Obamacare as a salient General election issue
>2016

Pick one.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 01:14:52 AM »

Callahan should use that as an attack on Wyden. "My name starts with C, unlike my opponent, whose name starts with W."
Never thought of that. I would actually like to see him do that for the LOL's. He's hopeless, but if he just wants attention, that is perfect.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 07:59:59 AM »

Surprising he's always been anti-free trade, one of his strong points.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 08:15:37 AM »

The vote on Obamacare was kinda like the 2000 election. Everything had to fall in place juuust right to get the outcome we got. In this analogy, Franken is probably Florida, Specter is New Hampshire, Wyden is Alaska or Hawaii, and Nelson is Tennessee. Or something like that. In this analogy, Bayh is probably one of the Dakotas Tongue
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 12:12:31 PM »

Surprising he's always been anti-free trade, one of his strong points.

He even fought Portman's nomination as U. S. Trade Representative.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies