Will Trump hurt the GOP in elections after 2016?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:55:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will Trump hurt the GOP in elections after 2016?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will Trump hurt the GOP in elections after 2016?  (Read 1053 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2016, 08:22:29 PM »

I'd like to think so since Trump is the end result of hate, divisiveness, etc. perpetrated by the national GOP.

But I doubt it. W Bush didn't hurt the GOP in 2010.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 09:50:06 PM »

And Barry Goldwater didn't hurt the GOP in 1968.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 09:57:57 PM »

There is a fair chance that Trump has simply sped up existing trends and hardened others, such as the movement of Asians and Hispanics away from the GOP, along with a slower trickle of college educated white voters. Further, the damage to the GOP brand among Millennials will probably persist, but Republicans were already in a hole with them. You have to think, for tens of millions of young voters, particularly Hispanic Millennials, Trump is the one of, if not thee first real impression of the GOP they have gotten. It will be hard to shake it.

Goldwater and Trump are not the same. There are similarities in their situations, but vast differences as well. Especially in character and behavior.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 11:04:04 AM »

There is a fair chance that Trump has simply sped up existing trends and hardened others, such as the movement of Asians and Hispanics away from the GOP, along with a slower trickle of college educated white voters. Further, the damage to the GOP brand among Millennials will probably persist, but Republicans were already in a hole with them. You have to think, for tens of millions of young voters, particularly Hispanic Millennials, Trump is the one of, if not thee first real impression of the GOP they have gotten. It will be hard to shake it.

Goldwater and Trump are not the same. There are similarities in their situations, but vast differences as well. Especially in character and behavior.

And the electorate is much more polarized now than 50 years ago.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 03:40:23 PM »

I think it will be tough for Republicans to build any kind of cohesive platform in the wake of Trump. There's too much distrust of leaders and ideological dissonance. This won't stop them from winning mid-term elections in opposition to a Democratic president, but I think it will be tough for the GOP to unify around anything other than opposition to Democrats.

I agree with this as well:

for tens of millions of young voters, particularly Hispanic Millennials, Trump is the one of, if not thee first real impression of the GOP they have gotten. It will be hard to shake it.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 07:32:21 AM »

You cracked it. Partially why I lean mostly left is because my first real impression of Republicans was W. Bush.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 11:18:43 AM »

You cracked it. Partially why I lean mostly left is because my first real impression of Republicans was W. Bush.

Same here. I didn't really start paying attention to politics until after my senior year of high school (2004) and when I saw how the Republicans were using marriage equality as a wedge issue, it pretty much sealed the deal for me. I didn't really know what the parties stood for, but I knew that Bush was a moron and the more I researched the parties' platforms, the more I realized I was a Democrat.
hopper
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 02:08:04 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2016, 02:11:20 PM by hopper »

Yes, and its a sad thing. A strong government needs a strong opposition, the GOP will be left divided and fractured, after Trump defeat.

As a Labour (centre-left) voter in the UK, seeing how weak, unaccountabe and ineffective the Labour opposition to the Conservative Government, is really upsetting,

I've been told the same by my conservative friends in 2009, when the conservative opposition was weak and useless, now i really know they feel.

A weak republican party, is really not a good thing.

Trump has not only hurt the Republicans but American politics a lot, Its sad! Sad
Yeah I think the way Labour lost the Prime Ministership in 2011 and 2015 is like the way the Republicans lost the Presidency in 2012 and will this year in that they aren't inclusiveness and they are aloof.
hopper
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 02:27:50 PM »

Yeah but Vietnam hurt Lyndon B. Johnson a lot.
hopper
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 02:29:05 PM »

Do you agree with Democrats on most issues though?
hopper
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 02:33:27 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2016, 02:37:59 PM by hopper »

Trump will likely try to keep his movement relevant by attacking Republicans who didn't support him. He'll damage the party intentionally.
The thing is Republicans under the age 40 or 45 don't identify with Trump's brand of politics. The Republicans under the age of 40 or 45 probably identify with the McConnell's and Ryan's brand of Republican Politics and not Trump's.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 02:58:28 PM »

Not all. Do you agree with the Republicans on most issues?
hopper
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2016, 02:59:30 PM »

Hispanics under the age of 35 about 48% are voting against Trump and not necessarily for Hillary per Pew Research. That's not a ringing endorsement of Hillary among Hispanic Millennials. Of course Hillary does have honesty/integrity issues because of her e-mails.

The Republicans 2008+ are going through what the Dems did from 1968-1988. Its a painful process.
hopper
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 03:02:52 PM »

Not all. Do you agree with the Republicans on most issues?
On Social Issues mostly no. On most spending issues yes except for their position on defense spending and tax cuts.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 03:19:12 PM »

I don't think Trump specifically will, but the problems that led to Trump getting nominated aren't going away.
hopper
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2016, 03:22:13 PM »

Anyway, in 2018 I expect there to be a "Trump lag" on the GOP brand where the Congressional Election Cycle is like 2012 in which the Republicans lost 8 US House Seats and 2 US Senate Seats. The Dems could take close to a filibuster-proof US Senate Majority and cut more into the GOP's House Majority.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 09:44:26 AM »

I'm not 100% sure that the Republican Party will ever fully recover from Donald Trump.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 07:11:37 PM »

Among Hispanics there absolutely will be. College/suburban whites will come back into the fold unless the GOP nominates a hardcore social con in 2020, which is very possible. Asians are more of a mystery. Democrats have been pretty succesful at convincing middle class asians that they are part of the minorty club and not mainstream (with massive help from the GOP of course), but I think a moderate republican could pick up a lot of asians.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2016, 08:57:21 AM »

Among Hispanics there absolutely will be. College/suburban whites will come back into the fold unless the GOP nominates a hardcore social con in 2020, which is very possible. Asians are more of a mystery. Democrats have been pretty succesful at convincing middle class asians that they are part of the minorty club and not mainstream (with massive help from the GOP of course), but I think a moderate republican could pick up a lot of asians.

White college educated voter's ties to the GOP seem to have been weakening, and you have to remember that with the rise of the Millennial generation, white college voters are probably going to move more towards Democrats or at least remain split. Especially if the GOP keeps on the path it is going.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies