Next analyst down: Sam Wang promises to eat bug if Trump gets 240 votes in EC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:11:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Next analyst down: Sam Wang promises to eat bug if Trump gets 240 votes in EC
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Next analyst down: Sam Wang promises to eat bug if Trump gets 240 votes in EC  (Read 1352 times)
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2016, 09:13:20 PM »

It is totally over. If Trump wins more than 240 electoral votes, I will eat a bug.
https://twitter.com/SamWangPhD/status/788544053059153924

i feel such tweets are becoming a pattern.
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 09:15:20 PM »

He should do so on t.v or on youtube in front of the world.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 09:18:45 PM »

These analysts should wait until the conclusion of the 3rd debate before they make these 100 percent predictions.  Who knows?  Maybe Hillary will suddenly begin foaming at the mouth and speaking in tongues tomorrow.

It's far more likely that Trump makes a total ass out of himself, but again, who knows?
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 09:21:05 PM »

i think they are as pissed about the smearing of polls and scientific predictions as most journalists are about trump's attack on their profession.

especially since the numbers behind the topline tend to become even more poisonous for trump......in the most recent fox poll, hillary's favorability values were close to 0.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 09:21:30 PM »

These analysts should wait until the conclusion of the 3rd debate before they make these 100 percent predictions.  Who knows?  Maybe Hillary will suddenly begin foaming at the mouth and speaking in tongues tomorrow.

It's far more likely that Trump makes a total ass out of himself, but again, who knows?
The speaking in tongues part would get her the Evangelical vote at least.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 12:28:28 AM »

Quit making me want to vote for Trump.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 12:40:09 AM »

Maybe he can eat the bug that came from the supposedly demon-possessed Hillary Clinton according to some Trump supporters.  Are they waiting for her head to start spinning around as she vomits up demon bile during the debate?
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 03:28:17 AM »

These analysts should wait until the conclusion of the 3rd debate before they make these 100 percent predictions. 

To be fair, Sam has been bullish on Clinton's chances for many, many months.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 03:35:25 AM »

These analysts should wait until the conclusion of the 3rd debate before they make these 100 percent predictions. 

Rightly so, this Dem softcockery is really getting irritating. We should be guardedly optimistic, we are not in some binary situation where we're either cocky or terrified.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 03:57:09 AM »

Rightly so, this Dem softcockery is really getting irritating. We should be guardedly optimistic, we are not in some binary situation where we're either cocky or terrified.

They are following Paul Begala's motto: there are only two ways to run, scared or unopposed.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 04:34:59 AM »

I'll change my avatar to blue for a year if Trump breaks 217.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 12:25:41 PM »

Basically a bet on Florida.  Trump wins FL, he gets to 240.  If he doesn't, he won't.
HillOfANight
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 12:32:15 PM »

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/10/06/why-is-nate-silver-so-afraid-of-sam-wang.html
I only remember Wang for 2014, which he was very wrong on. But finding this article, didn't realize he was spot on in 2012.
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 03:05:53 PM »

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/10/06/why-is-nate-silver-so-afraid-of-sam-wang.html
I only remember Wang for 2014, which he was very wrong on. But finding this article, didn't realize he was spot on in 2012.

Sam Wang is my no. 1 data pundit, for several reasons: he is remarkably dispassionate about his research, he doesn't do it for money, he has a dry sense of humour and he admits when he makes mistakes (he has been open about what he got wrong in 2014 and has adjusted his model accordingly). He doesn't do any of the 'special sauce' like rating pollsters because that makes the analysis too subjective. While he is openly a Democratic supporter, he encourages his Republican readers to contribute and volunteer for their party too.

But my main reason for liking him is he constantly acts as an oasis of calmness in the furious, windswept sandstorm that is your average election campaign. He called this race for Clinton months ago (he also called the primaries for Trump before virtually anyone else did), and has pointed out that the race has been relatively stable all the way through. I'd recommend him to all the handwringers and bedwetters who inhabit Atlas (among which I number myself, I should point out).
BoAtlantis

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 03:24:05 PM »

Sam Wang is my no. 1 data pundit, for several reasons: he is remarkably dispassionate about his research, he doesn't do it for money, he has a dry sense of humour and he admits when he makes mistakes (he has been open about what he got wrong in 2014 and has adjusted his model accordingly). He doesn't do any of the 'special sauce' like rating pollsters because that makes the analysis too subjective. While he is openly a Democratic supporter, he encourages his Republican readers to contribute and volunteer for their party too.

But my main reason for liking him is he constantly acts as an oasis of calmness in the furious, windswept sandstorm that is your average election campaign. He called this race for Clinton months ago (he also called the primaries for Trump before virtually anyone else did), and has pointed out that the race has been relatively stable all the way through. I'd recommend him to all the handwringers and bedwetters who inhabit Atlas (among which I number myself, I should point out).

What I like about Sam Wang is that he makes his methodology open for viewers, whereas Nate Silver has most of it to himself. Wang's national margin in 2012 was more accurate than Silver's was, if I recall correctly.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies