Republicans who will be stronger after 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:35:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Republicans who will be stronger after 2016
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Republicans who will be stronger after 2016  (Read 1886 times)
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 19, 2016, 03:22:15 PM »

With Portman running far ahead of Trump in Ohio, I think his stock will be helped a fair amount if he decides to run in 2020. Also, Pence is almost certainly in a stronger position. Anyone else come to mind?
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 03:24:57 PM »

You mean besides Flawless Beautiful Marco Purple heart Purple heart Purple heart?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 04:50:13 PM »

John Kasich
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 05:12:03 PM »

John Kasich, Rand Paul, Mia Love, and maybe Jon Huntsman.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 11:49:33 AM »

Definitely not Reince Priebus, that's for sure.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 01:19:29 PM »

Does it matter? The party is sick and it needs to beat the illness known as the alt-right out of it before it can move forward.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 04:40:08 PM »

Reince Priebus should be fired for his total incompetence
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 05:01:25 PM »

In all fairness, he didn't crater his party at the state and local level like DWS.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 05:40:40 PM »

I don't understand why so many people think Kasich has a good shot in 2020. He finished in de facto fourth place in the primaries, winning only his home state. Do people think that the Republican Party is going to a) suddenly embrace his brand of relatively moderate politics and b)choose him over someone else from the "establishment lane" like Rubio?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 10:01:07 PM »

I don't understand why so many people think Kasich has a good shot in 2020. He finished in de facto fourth place in the primaries, winning only his home state. Do people think that the Republican Party is going to a) suddenly embrace his brand of relatively moderate politics and b)choose him over someone else from the "establishment lane" like Rubio?

If he had jeb's  warchest he would have become the 45th president of the United States
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 11:18:08 PM »

If he had jeb's  warchest he would have become the 45th president of the United States

You can't be serious. Kasich never had any chance of winning the primary. He literally only won one state and it was entirely due to the favorite son effect. If he runs in 2020, he has a higher chance of not even making the debate stage than actually winning the nomination.

If he had 100 million dollars like Jeb his name would have been out a lot more in the news cycle due to being the main establishment candiate , and would instantly give him traction in most states he wasn't heard of in
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 01:33:52 AM »

Could've been Cruz if he hadn't ever endorsed at all.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 07:29:20 AM »

John Kasich.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 01:10:52 PM »

Could've been Cruz if he hadn't ever endorsed at all.

Or if he had just endorsed Trump at the convention
hopper
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 01:46:33 PM »

I don't think Reince has been incompetent. He definitely stepped up the GOP's GOTV effort after 2012. He inherited a bad fiscal mess at the RNC after Michael Steele's tenure which he has fixed.
hopper
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2016, 01:50:29 PM »

In all fairness, he didn't crater his party at the state and local level like DWS.
There hasn't been a good DNC chair since Howard Dean. Tim Kaine wasn't that good of a messenger either before DWS.
hopper
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2016, 01:53:40 PM »

You can't be serious. Kasich never had any chance of winning the primary. He literally only won one state and it was entirely due to the favorite son effect. If he runs in 2020, he has a higher chance of not even making the debate stage than actually winning the nomination.

If he had 100 million dollars like Jeb his name would have been out a lot more in the news cycle due to being the main establishment candiate , and would instantly give him traction in most states he wasn't heard of in
Yeah the 100 million dollars didn't help Jeb though in the Presidential Primary. With that said I don't think Republicans will be ready for a candidate like Kasich until they lose the Presidency 1-2 more times.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2016, 02:24:27 PM »

Yeah the 100 million dollars didn't help Jeb though in the Presidential Primary. With that said I don't think Republicans will be ready for a candidate like Kasich until they lose the Presidency 1-2 more times.

It didnt help him because he had the last name Bush, if he didnt have the last name Bush he would have won the primary
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2016, 02:28:54 PM »

If I was reince prebus when I saw trump rising I would have added super delegates like the dems have  and make the entire primary pure proportional which would have made trump only get 33% of the delegates in states like south carolina , and still require a rule that you have to win 50% of the delegates to win the nomination .
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2016, 03:20:55 PM »

I guess if any of the Republican incumbents in tossup races win (McCrory, Burr, Ayotte) they could be strong contenders for the future.
hopper
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2016, 03:28:56 PM »

If I was reince prebus when I saw trump rising I would have added super delegates like the dems have  and make the entire primary pure proportional which would have made trump only get 33% of the delegates in states like south carolina , and still require a rule that you have to win 50% of the delegates to win the nomination .
No it would have pissed off GOP voters more if they added a Superdelegate System.
hopper
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2016, 03:30:58 PM »

It didnt help him because he had the last name Bush, if he didnt have the last name Bush he would have won the primary
No I don't think he lost because his last name was Bush. He just wasn't the candidate that GOP voters were looking for. They wanted a populist like Trump.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2016, 10:29:43 AM »
« Edited: October 23, 2016, 10:34:35 AM by Mister Mets »

I agree on Rob Portman. A strong reelection against a former Governor in a Democratic wave year will help.

Ben Sasse got a lot of attention for consistent principled opposition to Trump.

I'll also make an argument for Mike Pence, mainly due to where he was in 2015.

John Neely Kennedy will probably the next Senator from Louisiana, a promotion from his current position as State Treasurer.

With others, it'll depend on the outcomes of statewide offices. Anyone who ends up Governor or Senator is in a better place at the end of the year than the beginning.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2016, 03:45:58 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2016, 03:47:41 PM by Enduro »

I think the Libertarian Party will be after we get 5% in 2016.

Edit: didn't see the first word of the topic. I think Mike Pence and Joni Ernst would be in the best position.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2016, 12:03:44 AM »

Ben Sasse got a lot of attention for consistent principled opposition to Trump.

Yeah, I think Sasse definitely joined the 2020 conversation this year
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies