Winning the war?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:37:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Winning the war?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Winning the war?  (Read 9475 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2003, 10:33:45 AM »

a lot easier said than done for one thing.  Plus they are a monarchy and we aren't exactly in the job of promoting monarchies.  

dicey for sure and Iraq is enough for now.  Plus we got Libya to come in line, along with Afghanistan.  It is a gradual process.  Imagine we have freed 2 countries from bondage in 3 years, that is amazing! in such a short time period.

Plus as I said Libya is trying to become more moderate.  Making progress.

I see Iran and Syria as worse than Saudi arabia.  Not perfect but at least their gov't is ok with us, better than we can say about the other 2.  Iran acknowledges it has members of Al quada in its borders.

I disagree. Iran has good hope, its really a good country which has been hijacked by the mullas. A majority of the current population was born after the revolution of '79 and most people vote for the more secular reformists. Iran will likely reform itself if given enough time and that sort of solution is much better than a foreign invasion which can never reach the same legitimacy. Meanwhile, I don't think Iran poses such a threat to international security as, say, North Korea. Syria is a rouge state, but is it really much worse than all the others? Saudi-Arabia has a strategic position, lots of oil and is religiously fundamentalist, as well as political instability (should the revolution come).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2003, 10:38:23 AM »

Churchill didn't just lose... he lost by a landslide to Clement Atlee Smiley
jravnsbo

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2003, 10:45:49 AM »

Well considering that Iran acknowledges that they have Al quada there and won't turn them over, plus some are running back and forth across the border with Iraq intel says I think Iran is a danger.  Like Iraq even if not facilitating terrorism it is definately protecting it.

Yes I would agree and hope that an internal revolution comes to Iran.

a lot easier said than done for one thing.  Plus they are a monarchy and we aren't exactly in the job of promoting monarchies.  

dicey for sure and Iraq is enough for now.  Plus we got Libya to come in line, along with Afghanistan.  It is a gradual process.  Imagine we have freed 2 countries from bondage in 3 years, that is amazing! in such a short time period.

Plus as I said Libya is trying to become more moderate.  Making progress.

I see Iran and Syria as worse than Saudi arabia.  Not perfect but at least their gov't is ok with us, better than we can say about the other 2.  Iran acknowledges it has members of Al quada in its borders.

I disagree. Iran has good hope, its really a good country which has been hijacked by the mullas. A majority of the current population was born after the revolution of '79 and most people vote for the more secular reformists. Iran will likely reform itself if given enough time and that sort of solution is much better than a foreign invasion which can never reach the same legitimacy. Meanwhile, I don't think Iran poses such a threat to international security as, say, North Korea. Syria is a rouge state, but is it really much worse than all the others? Saudi-Arabia has a strategic position, lots of oil and is religiously fundamentalist, as well as political instability (should the revolution come).
M

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2003, 12:31:52 PM »

Saudi Arabia today is among the world's most oppressive and corrupt governments, they are also huge sponsors of terrorism. If they fall, it won't be to democrats, but rather to radical Islamists (Wahhabi, though, not Shi'ite. Saudi Arabia's Shi'ite population is fairly small and concentrated in the Eastern Region, where the oil field are. Most of the country is Wahhabi, a radical branch of Sunnism.)

As for Attlee, I've never understood how the Modern Cassandra could lose to the Sheep in Sheep's Clothing. Attlee, of course, immediately proceeded with what Churchill called his "unwarranted war against the Jews." See Exodus.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2003, 02:52:26 PM »

Churchill didn't just lose... he lost by a landslide to Clement Atlee Smiley

Thank you! I suppose it would take someone from the UK to acknowledge my point.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies