A Yankee Presidency: Leadership for the Sciences
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:06:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  A Yankee Presidency: Leadership for the Sciences
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Yankee Presidency: Leadership for the Sciences  (Read 269 times)
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 19, 2016, 08:48:28 PM »
« edited: October 19, 2016, 09:03:53 PM by Ted Bessell, Bass God of the West »

San Jose McEnery Convention Center

I'm glad to be here today to discuss how our government invests in science and technology with Justice Yankee.

The government's relationship with science and scientists has historically been very important -- from vaccinations, to the internet, to the space program that put Americans on the moon. Yankee, Rpryor, and I want to improve this relationship through market-based policies that invest in Atlasia's future.

Now, I know that many Atlasians have concerns about how government subsidies -- that flat-out writing checks is clumsy, doesn't incentivize competition, and breeds inefficiency. That's why we're going to change the way subsidies for alternative energy, technology, and science work: Yankee is introducing a new system of tiered subsidies and tax breaks based on scientific progress that directly creates competition between companies, which will incentivize them to make faster and more substantive progress towards their goals.

As my region (and the rest of Atlasia's regions) can appreciate, we are in dire need of solutions to our nation's environmental problems. However, of course, this must be balanced with economic concerns, the consequences that would arise from the disappearance of Atlasia's coal and fossil fuel industries, and the fact that renewables are simply too expensive now to be practical. There's a solution to this, though -- make renewables cheaper, and make fossil fuels cleaner. A Yankee Administration would issue additional financial incentives to researchers and companies who are working to solve our energy problems and clean up our planet, and work with energy companies to implement these methods of production across the country.

Additionally, Yankee want to revitalize Atlasia's space program. Companies like Spacex, Blue Origin, and Bigelow Airspace (among many others) are doing incredible things to put Atlasia in orbit, and we should continue to build on our partnerships with them so we can soar even higher. Yankee plans to work with these companies to put an Atlasian on Mars within the 2030s, which will further establish Atlasia's role as the world's scientific leader.

Now, to talk more about these policies, the man, the myth, the legend... Justice North Carolina Yankee!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 08:58:41 PM »

First off, I want to thank Governor soon to be Representative Ted, for inviting myself and Rpryor03 out here once again to Fremont, to talk about energy and technology

It goes without saying that we are stronger and our adversaries are likewise weaker when we have an abundant supply of affordable, clean energy. This strengthens our economy by diversifying and increasing supply, increasing efficiency and thereby reducing consumption of oil, dropping the price. It also strengthens our position relative to our adversaries who have economies dominated by fossil fuel production.

We need a 15% increase in funding for fuel efficiency technology and research into energy extraction where the priority should be to find ways to extract oil and natural gas in ways that provide less harm to water tables and other environmental concerns, than exists with present methods such as hydraulic fracturing.

We also need to boost long term investments in alternative energy to begin the extensive process of moving more towards renewable energy and relying less on carbon based fuels. In the meantime we also have to acknowledge that such a transition will take years and in the meantime we need to expand partnerships with private entities to explore and develop carbon capture, storage and even now recycling whereby products like shoes can be made out of the carbon sequestered from power plants.

We also need to get back on track with regards to space. I agree with Governor Ted that the private companies have done tremendous work, but at the same time we need a better degree of involvement from both the federal and private sector to make this work. If more companies need to be brought in, than coordinating them will become a priority. We also, as the Governor said need to reform the way these partnerships function. This is a further expansion of what I discussed previously about reforming the way Government procures and contracts, to ensure cost savings and better quality in return for money spent.

As President I plan to work with hopefully soon to be Representative Ted and others to pass these necessary reforms and on many other vital issues. It is critical for our foreign and economic future to remain a leader in science and technology, to inspire our country to reach for great things and to accomplish them through hard work and determination. It is therefore why I believe we should strive to put a man on Mars and bring them back safely by the end of the 2030's. The technology developed and the research conducted will benefit our economy and way of life for decades afterwards just as space programs in the mid 20th century had a long lasting impact on our current economy and way of life.

Thank you Governor, for having us in Fremont. I want to thank the people of Atlasia and Fremont and I hope to earn your vote this weekend.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies