Trump plans to crush the US media-structure (Comcast-NBC/AT&T-Time Warner)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:37:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump plans to crush the US media-structure (Comcast-NBC/AT&T-Time Warner)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump plans to crush the US media-structure (Comcast-NBC/AT&T-Time Warner)  (Read 1460 times)
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2016, 04:20:05 PM »

Not only prevent this but a lot of mega corps need to be broken up. He is right, for once, too much power in the hands of athe few is bad. That includes both government and corporations.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2016, 04:21:13 PM »

i technically agree but i would never trust someone like him with such decisions.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2016, 04:22:31 PM »

i technically agree but i would never trust someone like him with such decisions.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2016, 05:45:06 PM »

Yeah, I don't understand why anybody would be like "augh this is the last straw". The mass media conglemerates are a menace, and any private company that has too much audience share should be a target for break-up.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2016, 05:52:07 PM »

Unfortunately, Trump would appoint right-wing attorneys to the DOJ/FTC and right-wing justices to the courts who don't believe in antitrust laws, so in reality the opposite of this would happen.
RHTFT
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.50, S: -3.83

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2016, 06:09:06 PM »

"A broken clock is right twice a day"
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2016, 06:54:22 PM »

Wow, something I agree with him on.

Corporate mergers are getting out of control and with the media/telecoms especially, trust busting is long overdue. At some point, preferably now, we need a president willing to begin savagely breaking corporations up.

Corporations are private. They should not be broken up. It's private. Let them do their thing, and let the ratings decide.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2016, 05:27:41 AM »

Unfortunately, Trump would appoint right-wing attorneys to the DOJ/FTC and right-wing justices to the courts who don't believe in antitrust laws, so in reality the opposite of this would happen.

This is absolutely right. This merger/buy-out won't happen under a Democratic Administration. AT&T already has DirecTV. How many Americans only have one cable provider in their area (basically, regional monopolies)? At least having two major satellite companies is some form of competition. Having both the sole cable option and one of two satellite options in many areas would be a serious breach of anti-trust laws, nearing full and outright monopoly status in a lot of areas.

This kind of deal is akin to the telecom industry attempting to work it's way down to three main companies (remember that a few years ago, the AT&T/T-Mobile merger was rejected by the DOJ). Under the Obama Administration, the DOJ has determined that keeping four major cell phone companies is vital to competition (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint). Other countries have less competition and the consumer suffers. Canada basically has a triopoly with each controlling a roughly equal share. As far as cell phone plans go, Americans are getting a much better deal than Canadians (until recently, many Canadians were stuck on 3-year contracts).
rafta_rafta

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2016, 06:26:12 AM »

Regulators would most probably kill this deal anyway.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2016, 07:44:02 AM »

I can see Trump doing the same what Michael Laugesen was doing to Birgitte Nyborg in Borgen: harassing the woman who beat him in the election via media.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2016, 08:41:05 AM »

Wow, something I agree with him on.

Corporate mergers are getting out of control and with the media/telecoms especially, trust busting is long overdue. At some point, preferably now, we need a president willing to begin savagely breaking corporations up.

Corporations are private. They should not be broken up. It's private. Let them do their thing, and let the ratings decide.

Do you oppose antitrust laws?
Apparently it is THIER stuff and not our jobs, purchasing power, market health, or even our health,welfare,safety, and ethics as voters. That is what is important. They buy everything and force you starve? LOL! How can you be so stupid!? Amiright?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies