Trump: 'I'll Keep You in Suspense' - most memorable moment of the debate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:29:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump: 'I'll Keep You in Suspense' - most memorable moment of the debate?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump: 'I'll Keep You in Suspense' - most memorable moment of the debate?  (Read 1757 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2016, 12:47:59 AM »

All I'm saying is, this hand-wringing over the "threat to democracy" is unnecessary.

Gore's challenge did not threaten our democracy or undermine our election process.  In fact, there were positive reforms that came of it.  Trust the courts.

I think it's reasonable to trust that the courts will do similar good in the case of any Trump (or Hillary) instigated challenge.

If you really think that's what Trump is talking about, then ... I don't know what to say to you.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2016, 12:52:37 AM »

you are litterally a mindless zombie parroting talkin g points withoout an ounce of critical examination.

No.  This is what independent thought and applying a fair standard to both parties looks like.

I would not begrudge Gore or Hillary making a legal challenge if there is some irregularity in some precinct / county / state that would turn the election.  You shouldn't begrudge Trump the same opportunity.

I'm just asking my friends on the opposite side of the political aisle to be fair here.

but you ARE begrudging Gore doing that in every one of your posts here.

get a clue. no one here would begrudge Trump pulling a Gore redux (or at least no more than Republicans begrudged Gore at the time) in a hyper close race. if you can't tell the difference between Gore doing so (including when BUSH took it to the Supreme Court and Trump repeatedly yammering on for weeks that the election is rigged, and refuses to commit by it's results THREE WEEKS BEFOREHAND, well....that my friend is idelogical blindness. Not evenhandedness.
SirMuxALot

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2016, 12:53:47 AM »

If you really think that's what Trump is talking about, then ... I don't know what to say to you.

Okay, then show me where he's stated otherwise.  I don't like how imprecise his statements on this topic are either, but you have to acknowledge he's entitled to the same legal petitioning rights as the Gore team utilized.

If you're worried that he's somehow going to overturn an election result by some means other than through the courts, then *I* don't know what to say to *you*.
Lolasknives
Rookie

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2016, 12:55:02 AM »

OMFG. Are the few Rethugs here hellbent on insulting our intelligence, or are they really just this desperate to stick up for a terroristic reprobate?

You want to compare Drumpf to Al Fing Gore? Really? REALLY??? Here, let me spell it out in terms even the most vile white trash still backing a rapist thug can understand:

Exhibit A. Al Gore. Vice President. A good man who spoke truth to power, won the popular vote, and had the Presidency stolen from him with Rethug disenfranchisement tactics in one state where Bush's brother was Governor. Ultimately conceded to honor peaceful transition of power despite irregularities.

Exhibit B. Drumpf. Vile ugly hateful racist maniac. Sex offender. So low in every single poll he is 99.99999999999999999999% certain NOT to win anything close to the popular vote, or the electoral college. He's claiming it's rigged before the election even started. He's implying he won't concede or respect peaceful transition of power. He's flirting with terrorism and civil war.

This is comparing apples and oranges, but in this case the orange is the most loathsome thing imaginable in American politics.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2016, 12:56:19 AM »

you are litterally a mindless zombie parroting talkin g points withoout an ounce of critical examination.

No.  This is what independent thought and applying a fair standard to both parties looks like.

I would not begrudge Gore or Hillary making a legal challenge if there is some irregularity in some precinct / county / state that would turn the election.  You shouldn't begrudge Trump the same opportunity.

I'm just asking my friends on the opposite side of the political aisle to be fair here.

but you ARE begrudging Gore doing that in every one of your posts here.

get a clue. no one here would begrudge Trump pulling a Gore redux (or at least no more than Republicans begrudged Gore at the time) in a hyper close race. if you can't tell the difference between Gore doing so (including when BUSH took it to the Supreme Court and Trump repeatedly yammering on for weeks that the election is rigged, and refuses to commit by it's results THREE WEEKS BEFOREHAND, well....that my friend is idelogical blindness. Not evenhandedness.

Bush brought it to SCOTUS because the FL SC had issued a ruling favorable to Gore that Bush wanted reversed.
SirMuxALot

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2016, 12:58:03 AM »

Exhibit B. Drumpf. Vile ugly hateful racist maniac.

Agreed.  But I'm stating that he has the same rights under the Constitution that Gore had (has).

Why do you disagree with that?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2016, 01:02:45 AM »

SirMux: do you just have a dramatically different interpretations of Tweets like this one than I do, or something?

Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2016, 01:11:20 AM »

Okay, then show me where he's stated otherwise.

Claiming in the debate tonight that 4 million dead people were going to vote.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2016, 01:13:32 AM »

If the election is that close, Trump has a right to be mad.

If it isn't, f**k off.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2016, 01:15:12 AM »

yeah:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm among the last to get on the "[REPUBLICAN] IS DANGEROUS!!11" bandwagon, even as a Democratic-leaning voter, but this stuff is genuinely dangerous and he needs to stop.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2016, 01:46:40 AM »

asking for a recount if an election is decided by a marge of a few hundred votes is not at all like "i will decide if i accept the results".

You are omitting key facts as to what Gore petitioned the court for.  The Florida recount was automatic by virtue of the margin.  Gore did not request a recount, he requested that the court declare the Florida recount method to be unconstitutional.
It's an outrageous double standard to insist Trump can't have the same recourse.  There is no need for all this feigned outrage.

You're either being deliberately stupid or intellectually dishonest. Gore never went around weeks before election day stating Bush was illegitimate. Gore never questioned that the electoral process was rigged. Gore never stated that he would lose because of election fraud.
Don't conflate challenging the result of a contested state after the results have come in with what Trump is doing weeks before the election takes place.

SirMuxALot,
You realize that you sound like a total buffoon.
None of what trump has been saying for the last two weeks, or was saying in the debate, had any relation to him "challenging" a close election for a recount.
No one is arguing that trump does not have a right to "challenge" a count based on such a matter, or that he should verbally concede now, that he will just accept an automatic loss if such a matter were to arise.
So, STOP creating BS out of thin air.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2016, 01:56:00 AM »

Trump is saying that the election is rigged because he knows he is going to lose.  He cannot accept the fact he is an absolute $h*t candidate and the American people can see the thing he is trying to serve us on a plate is a turd.  So he calls the election rigged so he doesn't have to take responsibility for being an incompetent, offensive $h*t who is about to get flushed on November 8.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2016, 02:12:39 AM »

The most disgusting thing in the debate was his refusal to accept the election outcome. Or even to put out doubts in advance that are not fact-based, but only used as a substitute to justify his very likely defeat. He tries to delegitimize the result because it is not supposed to be in his favor. It has been a tradition for more than 225 years in US politics, that the losing candidate accepts the outcome and wishes the winner well. Republicans have done it, Democrats have done it. Even Richard Nixon did not question the results of the 1960 election despite the fact that there was some evidence, that voter fraud may have occurred. Even Nixon, with all his flaws, did not do that despite having more reasons to so; because he knew that this would divide the country. With his behavior, the Trumpster proved that he’s deeply un-American and betrayed basic American values. His recklessness divides this nation even further and this is quite horrifying. As Abe Lincoln said: A house divided against itself cannot stand. Every voter, not matter of which party, should really think about this.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2016, 09:44:55 AM »

asking for a recount if an election is decided by a marge of a few hundred votes is not at all like "i will decide if i accept the results".

You are omitting key facts as to what Gore petitioned the court for.  The Florida recount was automatic by virtue of the margin.  Gore did not request a recount, he requested that the court declare the Florida recount method to be unconstitutional.

It's an outrageous double standard to insist Trump can't have the same recourse.  There is no need for all this feigned outrage.
The margin in Florida was close enough that it was not known, and probably cannot be known, who won the election. The way things are looking, Clinton will win in the high single digits- yet Trump still refuses to accept the victory, even if it is clear who won.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2016, 09:55:37 AM »

Trump is playing America, folks! He's just doing his BS media grab.

Don't forget that during the first debate Trump said that he would absolutely back Hillary if she won.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/297952-trump-i-would-absolutely-support-clinton-as-president

When the election results are all in and Hillary is declared the winner, Trump will concede. He will lose so bigly that he won't be able to dispute the numbers. That's my prediction.
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2016, 09:58:27 AM »

The Blue Avatars are back in force today! They must be feeling pumped after that IBD poll!
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2016, 10:10:37 AM »

Rhetoric like this is just pushing the third party vs. Clinton undecided vote fully into the Clinton camp, as they realize the only way to get rid of this guy is to deal him a double-digit defeat.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2016, 10:12:08 AM »

A case where a guy is going to lose by 10% points and decline to recognize he lost, and stir up violence with his followers, is exactly the same as someone contesting a statewide result differing by a few hundred votes. Got it.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2016, 10:37:46 AM »

Donald: Why didn't Hillary Clinton announce that she was inappropriately given the debate questions - she secretly used them! Crooked Hillary.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/789117930801926148

he is getting more annoying each day.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2016, 11:29:12 AM »

Donald: Why didn't Hillary Clinton announce that she was inappropriately given the debate questions - she secretly used them! Crooked Hillary.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/789117930801926148

he is getting more annoying each day.

Does he even have pretend evidence, or does he just make this stuff up?

"Why doesn't Donald admit that he's a bag man for the Mob - all his money is laundered! Don the Don."
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies