Arms control spectrum
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:56:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Arms control spectrum
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Which position is closest to your idea of what sort of arms ordinary citizens should be allowed to possess
Anyone who can afford Thermonuclear ICBMs should be allowed to have them

Citizens should be allowed conventional weapons only

Only projectile or handheld weapons (Artillery OK, Bombers and battleships - no)

Only handheld weapons (no artilery.  RPG's ok if you can carry them)

Any sort of rifle, shotgun, handgun, or knife (no rocket launchers)

Only weapons which fire one shot per trigger pull (or blades)

Only hunting rifles and some handguns subject to quality restrictions

Only weapons which were available in the late 18th century (blunderbusses)

No guns.  Knives under 6 inches only.

No sharp knives at all. (you want steak, chew it apart)

No butter knives either.

forget silverware.  Everyone gets a straightjacket anyway.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Arms control spectrum  (Read 4952 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2005, 12:44:09 PM »

Its true that without the enomeous funding of the government nuclear weapons would not have been produced at the time.

However, it seems to be probably that over time they would probably have been developed as an offshoot of nuclear power investigations.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2005, 07:27:21 PM »

Option 6. For those who are saying option 5, you do realize that includes fully automatic weapons, right? Just making sure. Smiley

Basically any weapon that cannot reasonably have any legitimate self-defense, hunting, or sporting purpose should be illegal, everything else should be legal.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2005, 08:18:59 PM »

Fully automatic weapons should be legal, as they presently are in a small handful of countries.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2005, 12:51:41 AM »

Option 9

Guns are evil

I've never held a real one in my hands and I have no desire to. But here on the East Coast there's no need for them. And we have the lowest crime rate in the nation, so I don't have to worry about "intruders with a gun holding my family hostage" type scenarios that gun-lovers love to use.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2005, 01:04:48 AM »

Option 9

Guns are evil

I've never held a real one in my hands and I have no desire to. But here on the East Coast there's no need for them. And we have the lowest crime rate in the nation, so I don't have to worry about "intruders with a gun holding my family hostage" type scenarios that gun-lovers love to use.

Hey, I'll give you credit. At least you admit you hate freedom.
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2005, 01:43:04 AM »

Option 9

Guns are evil

well, neither have I, so? your point? we still got bladed weapons to deal with
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2005, 01:45:26 AM »

Option 9

Guns are evil

Is that how you measure a democracy? By how many guns it has? There were other amendments besides Number 2 you know.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2005, 03:28:59 AM »

Option 9

Guns are evil

I have held a real one in my hands once - and I may have been breaking the law doing so, I'm not sure. Smiley
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2005, 04:30:52 AM »

Option 9

Guns are evil

I have held a real one in my hands once - and I may have been breaking the law doing so, I'm not sure. Smiley

Haha, same here.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2005, 06:51:36 AM »

Option 9

Guns are evil

That's completely assinine and false logic. Lower crime rates don't mean no crime. I've lived on the east coast all my life, and people I know have been victims of crime even with lower crime rates - my father comes to mind. If he had his gun at the time, he would probably still be alive today. Then I can display the example of Kennesaw, Ga - every homeowner is required to have a handgun, and they have the lowest crime rate in the state(violent crime dropped to 10% of it's original rates when this policy was implemented and has stayed there for over a decade even with a good deal of growth to that area).

Further, you say guns are evil - that's completely idiotic. Guns are inanimate objects, they are no more evil than a teddy bear. Guns, like all tools, are neither good nor evil - it is the user that determines what the gun is used for. People who use guns for evil purposes are what is truly evil, not an inanimate object. I swear sometimes the anti-gun crowd act like guns are beyond control, as if they get up on their own and start shooting people or possess people and make them violent. Roll Eyes
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2005, 07:38:25 PM »

Would you quit spelling the word asinine 'assinine'?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2005, 09:51:46 PM »

Would you quit spelling the word asinine 'assinine'?

Gah, I always mess that one up. Tongue
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2005, 01:29:39 AM »

Haha, same here.

You two are in Europe, right? Forgive my ignorance, but I thought guns had all but been banned over there. Am I wrong? Angry
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2005, 04:38:24 AM »

Haha, same here.

You two are in Europe, right? Forgive my ignorance, but I thought guns had all but been banned over there. Am I wrong? Angry

It was a 6.35mm pistol, the only ones people are allowed.
also, shot guns and bolt action rifles are allowed too. I can only speak of Portugal, though.Some other countries have way less restrictive laws, like Switzerland, Austria, and most of Scandinavia.

EDIT: Not to mention the illegal ones.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies