AP: Trump says he will "totally accept" the results of the election if he wins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:31:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  AP: Trump says he will "totally accept" the results of the election if he wins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: AP: Trump says he will "totally accept" the results of the election if he wins  (Read 1552 times)
ursulahx
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2016, 02:26:21 PM »

At this point, it seems like Paul Ryan or Mike Pence will be the one giving the concession speech in lieu of Trump.

Yes, a de facto concession speech by Pence and/or Ryan will make an 'official' concession moot, especially if it's a landslide.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2016, 03:46:41 PM »

And only a small handful of the GOP are standing up to protect the integrity of our country and its democracy. Pathetic cowards all of them.

he may not know what an aleppo is but gov johnson is on it:

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/789148273714073602?lang=de

In a better world than ours, Gary Johnson would have been the 2016 Republican nominee and not Donald Trump.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2016, 04:01:08 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2016, 04:02:46 PM by Likely Voter »

Trump did clarify later in the speech he would accept anything that was "clear" but he is still playing fast and loose, especially with that joke which got the headlines.  

I think this is all about Pennsylvania
Last night on one of the shows WaPo's Robert Costa said the Trump campaign was especially obsessed about PA and Philly. More than any other state he has talked about PA and Philly 'rigging'. Dems control the state and the city and of course the Dem margin in Philly has often been greater than the overall state margin, including 2012. And PA remains the key to their strategy, they are back on the air big time in the last week.

I think they believe the race can get back to where it was before Debate 1 and if so then they would win NC, OH and FL. And in that case they see the Philly vote as the only thing keeping them from winning. Philly is home to the infamous 'Black Panther' intimidation and claims of rigging precincts where Obama got too many votes and Romney got none (according to conservative conspiracy lore).

So in a 2004-in reverse kind of scenario where they are one state away from a win on election night, it seems likely that is when Team Trump will play their 'its rigged' card, and especially if flipping PA would put them over. But if Clinton wins with 300+ then Trump will almost certainly do the right thing or something close enough. Even he knows he can't say that GOP states like FL, OH, NC are all in on the fix.
elcorazon

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2016, 04:27:48 PM »

this is the sorest of sore losers.

i can't get my head around why possible over 40% of american voters are going to approve such kind of behaviour.

Because Clinton was absolutely right: they're deplorables.

Really, this kind of attitude is approaching Trump's level. No offense.
it's nowhere near Trump's level actually. Calling Racists and Xenophobes deplorable is nowhere near as bad as being racist, fanning racism and fomenting violence, along with lying, womanizing, demeaning, acting as a sexual predator and a bully. No offense
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2016, 11:52:26 AM »

Trump did clarify later in the speech he would accept anything that was "clear" but he is still playing fast and loose, especially with that joke which got the headlines.  

I think this is all about Pennsylvania
Last night on one of the shows WaPo's Robert Costa said the Trump campaign was especially obsessed about PA and Philly. More than any other state he has talked about PA and Philly 'rigging'. Dems control the state and the city and of course the Dem margin in Philly has often been greater than the overall state margin, including 2012. And PA remains the key to their strategy, they are back on the air big time in the last week.

I think they believe the race can get back to where it was before Debate 1 and if so then they would win NC, OH and FL. And in that case they see the Philly vote as the only thing keeping them from winning. Philly is home to the infamous 'Black Panther' intimidation and claims of rigging precincts where Obama got too many votes and Romney got none (according to conservative conspiracy lore).

So in a 2004-in reverse kind of scenario where they are one state away from a win on election night, it seems likely that is when Team Trump will play their 'its rigged' card, and especially if flipping PA would put them over. But if Clinton wins with 300+ then Trump will almost certainly do the right thing or something close enough. Even he knows he can't say that GOP states like FL, OH, NC are all in on the fix.

Quit making excuses for them. It's deplorable.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2016, 11:55:05 AM »

in fact at the current road, while OH gets harder to win for a liberal dem, the opposite is true in PA....each year the urban areas get bigger and the rural areas smaller.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2016, 12:20:41 PM »

in fact at the current road, while OH gets harder to win for a liberal dem, the opposite is true in PA....each year the urban areas get bigger and the rural areas smaller.

This is why I never understood why the idea that Pennsylvania is trending Republican is (or at least was) so popular here. In PA, with urban areas growing and rural areas shrinking or stagnating, white college graduates trending Democratic (albeit more slowly), non-white voter share growing slowly and significantly Democratic Millennials pushing out the Republican-leaning older voters, there is very few positive trends in PA for Republicans.

The only things Republicans really seem to have in their favor there is something they have elsewhere - a geographically compacted voter base seems likely to continue squeezing Democrats in legislative/Congressional races and an older voter base that will continue to help them for one or two more midterms.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2016, 12:22:19 PM »

He sounds just like Al Gore or Bernie Sanders: "If I win, I win.  If I lose, it's rigged."
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2016, 12:23:38 PM »

And only a small handful of the GOP are standing up to protect the integrity of our country and its democracy. Pathetic cowards all of them.
Maybe it's because they believe that "America is a republic, not a democracy"? 
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2016, 12:24:11 PM »

He sounds just like Al Gore or Bernie Sanders: "If I win, I win.  If I lose, it's rigged."

Is anyone better at false equivalence to look less bad than Trumpists? If you have to try to twist and wiggle and strain to say "See? They're just as bad as we are!" every time, you're probably just rotten.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2016, 12:25:05 PM »

in fact ofc republicans are going to close the voter registration gap, cause - as we all know - many of those old dems have not voted democratic for decades and the new conservatives coming in register accordingly as rep while the old pro-republican Dems disappear.

seems great on the surface but is nothing but smoke and mirror behind the curtain.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies