Sen. Jeff Flake: Hillary's going to be President, let's confirm Garland
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:27:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sen. Jeff Flake: Hillary's going to be President, let's confirm Garland
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sen. Jeff Flake: Hillary's going to be President, let's confirm Garland  (Read 1840 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 20, 2016, 04:18:20 PM »

I wonder if he thinks the Senate will be gone too?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 04:23:18 PM »

This is a good example of why I wish voters actually paid attention to what is going on in our government. This is shameless behavior. Once upon a time, Senators from both parties had this crazy idea that the president, regardless of which party he is from, should have a bit of latitude in picking USSC justices. So much for that.

Many Republican lawmakers in Congress have no respect for anything anymore. All they seem to care about these days is gaining power and winning elections.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 05:00:00 PM »

Flake says it might be Garland time
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/jeff-flake-merrick-garland-vote-supreme-court-230109

Arizona Republican Sen. Jeff Flake has maintained for months that Republicans should take up Merrick Garland's Supreme Court nomination if it looks like the presidential contest is a lost cause for the GOP.

It's looking about that time, Flake said in an interview on Thursday.

"I said if we were in a position like we were in in '96 and we pretty much knew the outcome that we ought to move forward. But I think we passed that awhile ago," Flake said. "If Hillary Clinton is president-elect then we should move forward with hearings in the lame duck. That's what I'm encouraging my colleagues to do."

The political calculus is straightforward: Better to deal with Garland now and avoid swallowing a more liberal nominee from Hillary Clinton.

Flake, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, would not explicitly say that he expects Clinton will win. But he all but admitted that Donald Trump — whom Flake opposes — is toast.

"I'm saying that I'm not one to deny polls, particularly when they are overwhelming," Flake said. And in the current crop of polls show a highly likely Clinton win, Flake said, "there is some accuracy there."
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 05:01:47 PM »

I don't see anything that's wrong with this.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 05:45:32 PM »

If Clinton wins, Obama needs to hold the Republicans to their word--let the next president pick the judge. If they fail to do so then they can kiss their congressional control goodbye in the midterms.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 06:21:15 PM »

If they fail to do so then they can kiss their congressional control goodbye in the midterms.
It doesn't work like that, sorry.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 09:22:00 PM »

If they fail to do so then they can kiss their congressional control goodbye in the midterms.

I don't think the people will put up with two years of a partially functioning court--the GOP tends to do better in midterms because of turnout and I think this could be used to motivate Democrats to show up.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 10:22:41 PM »

I don't think the people will put up with two years of a partially functioning court--the GOP tends to do better in midterms because of turnout and I think this could be used to motivate Democrats to show up.

Is this talking point going to be the successor to the governmental shutdown motivating voters in 2014?
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 01:04:22 AM »

Nah. The GOP won't be punished for their behavior because Republicans are the only ones who actually bother to vote in midterms, and 2018 will be as big a landslide for Republicans as the last two midterms. Of course, two years after that, when the electorate isn't solely composed of white Republicans, Clinton (or a different Democrat if she decides not to seek reelection) will win reelection by a decent margin.

How did the democrats sweep Congress in 2006?
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 04:29:53 PM »

If Clinton wins, Obama needs to hold the Republicans to their word--let the next president pick the judge. If they fail to do so then they can kiss their congressional control goodbye in the midterms.

This precisely. Not only should he withdraw Garland, but also talk RBG and Breyer into retiring so we can get three young liberals on that court and rub the Republicans' noses in it.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 05:08:47 PM »

Nah. The GOP won't be punished for their behavior because Republicans are the only ones who actually bother to vote in midterms, and 2018 will be as big a landslide for Republicans as the last two midterms. Of course, two years after that, when the electorate isn't solely composed of white Republicans, Clinton (or a different Democrat if she decides not to seek reelection) will win reelection by a decent margin.

How did the democrats sweep Congress in 2006?

Bush had 30% approvals. Only way a 2006-type thing could happen in 2018 is 1) an unpopular Trump presidency, or 2) a highly popular (I'd say ~60% approvals) Clinton presidency.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 05:22:22 PM »

2) a highly popular (I'd say ~60% approvals) Clinton presidency.

I doubt that would even come close. Bill Clinton had approval ratings hovering between 60% - 66% going into the '98 midterm and Democrats gained a few seats (despite losing the House PV by a tiny bit). Eisenhower had approval ratings in the 58% - 70% range in 1954 and yet Republicans lost control of Congress that year, albeit not in a huge landslide or anything. His approval ratings were in the low-mid 50s in 1958 and Republicans lost big, which marked the beginning of consistently large Democratic Congressional majorities.

Doesn't seem possible to get anything remotely close to a 2006-like midterm landslide while your party holds the presidency, except maybe if the opposition party's House/Senate members are caught on video sacrificing small children to the ghost of Reagan.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 11:18:50 PM »

He should be confirmed. I'll take a YEA vote even if it's for the wrong reason.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 12:25:10 AM »

We can have a vote after the election, but he won't get 60 votes.  I would draw a line in the sand on confirming any justices who support Roe or trangender bathrooms or go against religious liberty.  The Senate has just as many rights in this process as the president!
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 03:54:24 AM »

We can have a vote after the election, but he won't get 60 votes.  I would draw a line in the sand on confirming any justices who support Roe or trangender bathrooms or go against religious liberty.  The Senate has just as many rights in this process as the president!

He won't need 60 votes.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2016, 04:41:26 AM »

Right move, but too late and made out of opportunism.

It is such a disgrace that the GOP has been blocking even a hearing of a highly qualified judge only because of their hatred for President Obama. The president only fullfiled his presidential duties and he even selected a more moderate judge. It shows how much the GOP has became an irresponsible party. Especially in a system of government, that needs compromise to function well. And they're surprised when people lose confidence in institutions.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2016, 08:15:48 AM »

We can have a vote after the election, but he won't get 60 votes.  I would draw a line in the sand on confirming any justices who support Roe or trangender bathrooms or go against religious liberty.
lol

People like you almost make me support the Democrats.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2016, 08:23:57 AM »

From the Republican point of view confirming a relatively moderate Garland would be better than letting Hillary, fresh from electoral victory, nominate her choice.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2016, 09:41:04 PM »

lol lol lol

If Grassley and McConnell hold Garland hearings in the lame duck, especially if there is an incoming President Hillary Clinton and Democratic Senate in 2017, it will be the height of hypocrisy.

They have preposterously held up Garland's nomination for a year under the lie that because it is a presidential election year, the "people" should decide.  If they try to confirm him in the lame duck, what happened to the people deciding?  Shouldn't the incoming President and Senate that the people voted in handle it instead?  If this comes to pass, they should be blasted for such bull$h!t.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2016, 11:36:43 PM »

We can have a vote after the election, but he won't get 60 votes.  I would draw a line in the sand on confirming any justices who support Roe or trangender bathrooms or go against religious liberty.  The Senate has just as many rights in this process as the president!

Thank God that your type of people are (literally) dying out and will never be in charge of this country ever again.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2016, 11:53:38 PM »

Republicans in congress deserve to be held accountable for this immaturity, but of course they won't be.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2016, 01:51:52 AM »

lol lol lol

If Grassley and McConnell hold Garland hearings in the lame duck, especially if there is an incoming President Hillary Clinton and Democratic Senate in 2017, it will be the height of hypocrisy.

They have preposterously held up Garland's nomination for a year under the lie that because it is a presidential election year, the "people" should decide.  If they try to confirm him in the lame duck, what happened to the people deciding?  Shouldn't the incoming President and Senate that the people voted in handle it instead?  If this comes to pass, they should be blasted for such bull$h!t.

You're correct of course, but are there actually any people who didn't see through this lie from day one? Anyone at all?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2016, 02:26:42 AM »

This sort of thought is exactly why I quit voting Republican.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2016, 03:33:26 PM »

You mean the kind of religious liberty that bans all members of a certain religion from entering the country wholesale? You are so principled. Purple heart
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2016, 04:56:13 PM »

Let Hillary do it. If she wants to renominate Garland, we'll confirm him in February. If she wants Sirvansian, Klobuchar, or some other reasonable liberal, that's her choice. Obviously a blank check like Goodwin Liu should be denied. But a moderate liberal for a Den President is exactly what "let the next president choose" means, which is the GOP's OFFICIAL POSITION on the issue.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies