Poll: Republicans side with Trump over Ryan for GOP's vision
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:13:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Poll: Republicans side with Trump over Ryan for GOP's vision
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Poll: Republicans side with Trump over Ryan for GOP's vision  (Read 1379 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 20, 2016, 05:40:44 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Washington Times

Clearly no sign of buyer's remorse among Republicans.  This confirms my belief that Trump would easily win the nomination again if there were a rematch.

2020 should be fun.  I'd be very concerned with these numbers if I were part of Flawless Beautiful Marco<3<3's fanbase here right now...
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 05:47:51 PM »

Clearly no sign of buyer's remorse among Republicans.  This confirms my belief that Trump would easily win the nomination again if there were a rematch.

But that's because he's already the nominee, and so many Republicans have talked themselves into thinking he's great.  If Rubio were the nominee instead, then Republican voters would have similarly favorable views about him, etc.

Also, assuming a Clinton victory next month, Trump will no longer be the party's standard bearer on Nov. 9th, and so many of these folks who nominally prefer him now could well then say that they prefer Ryan's vision, since Trump will no longer be the party leader.
PresidentSamTilden

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 05:54:33 PM »

Are Trump's platform and ideas the reason he is losing, or does it have more to do with his personal character and shortcomings? If it's the latter, they may be able to take his outline and succeed with it. Remember how close the race was before the first debate?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 05:57:48 PM »

Another way to look at this: only a few weeks before the election, only 51% of Republicans side with their own party's presidential nominee over the house speaker.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 05:58:03 PM »

The Republican base likes stupidity and fascism. How utterly unsurprising.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 06:02:03 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2016, 06:04:26 PM by Ronnie »

At some point, I think there may need to be a separation between the irreconcilable factions of the unhappy family that is the GOP.  The result might end up being a good thing for the country, even if it formalizes Trump's distinctly un-American movement.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 06:02:24 PM »

The GOP might have to go back to smoke-filled rooms to pick proper candidates
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 06:10:15 PM »

House Speakers are always far more unpopular than they would otherwise be in a different position.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 06:32:44 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2016, 06:34:41 PM by Jacobin American »

The GOP is certainly in a quagmire, but anyone who believes there will be a permanent third party arising as a result of this is highly unlikely to be correct. Parties are always in flux regarding their espoused views and demographic characteristics; sometimes they reach a point of heightened internal factionalism and this will be resolved through compromise, the clear dominance of one over the other, or the gradual erosion of the voting base of one faction of the party as they switch to their formerly rival party. If the current pattern holds where suburban whites, especially women, become more consistently Democratic voters, then the share of the party occupied by the Trump faction will increase as "RINO" politicians fail to be elected in formerly suburban Republican districts. This is the nightmare scenario for elite Republicans since alienating all but Trump's faction and a few RINO holdouts will make for neither a nice nor nationally competitive party. It could also have notable consequences for the Democratic Party as well when they discover reelection in many districts is dependent upon appealing to the interests of suburban former Republicans.

Equally or, perhaps, even more consequential would be a poll inquiring the position of Republican voters on a series of internally contentious issues. Discover whether it is truly about candidate Trump or Trump's alleged positions that the majority support.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 06:47:07 PM »

Sane Republicans need to split and form their own party.

Either that, or find some way to oust the crazy ones.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 07:08:39 PM »

This party is so screwed.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 07:51:40 PM »

The Republican base likes stupidity and fascism. How utterly unsurprising.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 08:16:49 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2016, 08:18:38 PM by Fuzzy Bear »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Washington Times

Clearly no sign of buyer's remorse among Republicans.  This confirms my belief that Trump would easily win the nomination again if there were a rematch.

2020 should be fun.  I'd be very concerned with these numbers if I were part of Flawless Beautiful Marco<3<3's fanbase here right now...
Your use of one of my more memorable lines here as your signature explains why this is the case.  People (especially a goodly number of Republican rank-and-file) have been screwed over royally by folks with good manners and clean language.  Folks like Paul Ryan.  As uncouth as Trump is, most Republicans (and almost all of the working-class base of the GOP) view Trump as someone as a person who is on their side.  Before people decide to call me names, perhaps they need to fully reflect on how it came to this.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 08:31:16 PM »

Are Trump's platform and ideas the reason he is losing, or does it have more to do with his personal character and shortcomings? If it's the latter, they may be able to take his outline and succeed with it. Remember how close the race was before the first debate?

It really does have to do with his persona.

One charge against Trump that is true is that he can't put aside personal slights and attacks.  He sabotages himself in this regard.  Saying "Such a nasty woman!" in the middle of the debate last night is an example.  Hillary IS nasty; she's one of the most ruthless politicians in either party to ever run for President.  But you don't SAY this; you let people come to conclude that on their own.  Trump doesn't get this, and I'm resigned to the fact that he can't do anything meaningful about it at this late date.

This is compounded by the fact that Trump really isn't a good public speaker and isn't real quick on his feet.  Hillary gave him all sorts of opportunities to slam her in the debate last night, and he just couldn't seem to do it.  He couldn't slip in the best zinger at the best time, and it hurt him.  Ruthless Hillary (that's her REAL nickname, IMO) knows how to zing Trump, and Trump let her get away when it came to Bill, to "Deplorables" and to the Clinton Foundation (where she DOES NOT WANT TO GO). 

I listened to Don Trump (Jr.) after the debate.  He's fluid, well spoken, and all I could think of was that if Don, rather than The Donald, was debating Hillary, he'd have turned her into mincemeat.  But Don isn't the candidate; his Dad is.  Don Trump knows how to stay on message better than his Dad.  Perhaps the wrong Donald Trump is the Presidential nominee.  He'd have done a better job in the General Election of getting the Trump points across of Immigration, Trade, and Foreign Policy that brought about a revolution in the GOP and still have the potential to bring about a revolution in General Election politics.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 08:53:14 PM »

I listened to Don Trump (Jr.) after the debate.  He's fluid, well spoken, and all I could think of was that if Don, rather than The Donald, was debating Hillary, he'd have turned her into mincemeat.  But Don isn't the candidate; his Dad is.  Don Trump knows how to stay on message better than his Dad.  Perhaps the wrong Donald Trump is the Presidential nominee.  He'd have done a better job in the General Election of getting the Trump points across of Immigration, Trade, and Foreign Policy that brought about a revolution in the GOP and still have the potential to bring about a revolution in General Election politics.

I'm pretty sure this was part of the plan from the get-go. Donald is running now to pave the way for Don, Eric, or Ivanka to take over the GOP in the ensuing decades.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 09:04:41 PM »

I'm pretty sure this was part of the plan from the get-go. Donald is running now to pave the way for Don, Eric, or Ivanka to take over the GOP in the ensuing decades.

The #NeverTrump Erick Erickson noted that Don Trump is "actually a Republican".  And he's certainly a more traditional Republican than The Donald, if you go by his comments.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 09:30:12 PM »

Pussygrabber has a platform and ideas? Since when?

And no "My ego is bigger than all my failed buildings put together" is not an idea nor is "lets act like Nazis, but with the Stars and Stripes instead of a swastika" a platform.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 11:37:47 PM »

But that's because he's already the nominee, and so many Republicans have talked themselves into thinking he's great.  If Rubio were the nominee instead, then Republican voters would have similarly favorable views about him, etc.

Also, assuming a Clinton victory next month, Trump will no longer be the party's standard bearer on Nov. 9th, and so many of these folks who nominally prefer him now could well then say that they prefer Ryan's vision, since Trump will no longer be the party leader.

Donald Trump will always be the de facto leader of the GOP, whether the donor class likes it or not.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2016, 04:49:35 AM »

Yes, the media wanted [hoped?] that the voters just mirrorred Trump's views, when in fact it has always been Trump who mirrored his voters' views. As simple as that Smiley

Marine Le Pen Ivanka Trump, feminist nationalist and lite version of her father, will bring new changes to Front National GOP and make them likable again Smiley
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2016, 04:53:11 AM »

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-10-20/poll-shows-republicans-less-committed-to-trump

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2016, 06:24:51 AM »

This is essentially what I had assumed would be the outcome. The majority of Republican voters want the party to combine certain elements of Trumpism with certain elements of movement Conservatism. What they want to preserve and remove from each must be further explored in future research. Either way, I see one result coming from a potentially new GOP, which is national electoral decline as they'll simply solidify themselves as the party of the White working class. The entire Trump/right-wing populist brand has been tainted by this election in the eyes of minorities and most college educated White women. How you come back from that, I don't know.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2016, 07:50:23 AM »

Donald Trump will always be the de facto leader of the GOP, whether the donor class likes it or not.

Disagree.  I really don't think Republican voters will care much about him two years from now.  No more than they care about Mitt Romney now anyway.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2016, 09:37:34 AM »

Trumpists have kidnapped the GOP. Actually it is very sad.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2016, 10:29:10 AM »

Republican voters define themselves in terms of nationalism, nativism, skepticism of liberal internationalism, and resistance to cultural change.  The GOP started using cultural issues 40 years ago as a crutch to win WCWs, and that crutch is now the party.

Donald Trump understands these voters more than the GOP establishment does.  That's why he won the nomination.  He didn't create anything.  He didn't change the party at all.  There's no such thing as "Trumpism."  This is the beast that the conservative elite have bred, hatched, and fed, and there's nothing they can do about it.

For 16 months, 50 million Republicans have thought, "Finally, someone who says the things we wish we could say."

Reality hurts.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2016, 10:37:16 AM »

Disagree.  I really don't think Republican voters will care much about him two years from now.  No more than they care about Mitt Romney now anyway.

Do you really think that some part of Romney base was in love with him? Plurality of GOP voters might very well end up caring about Trump. If he plays well and smart.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies