500 Million+ records stolen from the NSA by one ex-contractor over 20 years!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 04:59:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  500 Million+ records stolen from the NSA by one ex-contractor over 20 years!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 500 Million+ records stolen from the NSA by one ex-contractor over 20 years!  (Read 335 times)
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 21, 2016, 12:43:16 AM »

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ex-nsa-contractor-stole-at-least-500-million-pages-of-records-and-secrets-1476991747

Why do we need this bumbling spy agency again?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 12:54:40 AM »

uggg, paywall

alternate link- washington post

I'm curious HOW he got all that stuff off base or how he got access to stuff he wasn't supposed to have access too.....I'm sure the investigators are wondering this too to make sure it doesn't happen again.  A co-worker of mine got his computer access suspended for 2 months for emailing an Excel spreadsheet home that had his online passwords in it, nothing govt related.  On the other hand, I recall a story where a high level person in the State Dep had her own email server and used it to send classified sh**t around and didn't get in any trouble at all, so who knows!
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 10:08:35 AM »

Why do we need this bumbling spy agency again?

We don't.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 11:00:28 AM »

Why? Espionage and other spying is moving to the digital realm, and we need to be able to match/overtake our adversaries. The NSA has arguably the most sophisticated surveillance apparatus in the world and it's going to become increasingly necessary to both fight back and defend our networks against Russian and Chinese aggression.

Clearly they have internal issues with keeping information safe among employees, but that's difficult to solve. Given the issues the NSA has faced since Snowden, I imagine they are putting more effort into this, but it will take time.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 03:50:56 PM »

Relevant.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 07:34:07 PM »

Why? Espionage and other spying is moving to the digital realm, and we need to be able to match/overtake our adversaries. The NSA has arguably the most sophisticated surveillance apparatus in the world and it's going to become increasingly necessary to both fight back and defend our networks against Russian and Chinese aggression.

Clearly they have internal issues with keeping information safe among employees, but that's difficult to solve. Given the issues the NSA has faced since Snowden, I imagine they are putting more effort into this, but it will take time.
I wouldn't necessarily oppose having an NSA that fights foreign cyber security threats (or domestic ones for that matter)...

But only if we have a new bill of rights that guarantees the privacy of Americans.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies