2020 Under President McMullin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:24:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  2020 Under President McMullin
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 Under President McMullin  (Read 979 times)
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 21, 2016, 10:05:03 AM »

If McMullin won by winning Utah in an electoral college deadlock, what would 2020 look like?  Would he be the Republican candidate?  I know this is unlikely, but it's interesting to think about.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 11:05:42 AM »

A lot of people in both parties would rightly be upset at the blatantly undemocratic means by which he became President. Since this would be on the backs of Republican House members, and considering that he probably won't be an especially good President, there will be a landslide defeat of incumbent Republicans in 2018 (including some primaries and Democratic pickups), possibly with a slightly Democratic Senate as well (this also depends on what happened in 2016--my guess is Clinton wins the PV, and the Republicans narrowly keep the Senate, which elects Pence as VP, contrary to the PV).

I'm thinking McMullin runs for the Republican nomination, but he'll have several challengers, mostly from the Trump wing of the party. I don't know who wins the nomination on either side, but I think the next President is a Democrat.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 12:29:22 PM »

I would assume McMullin would run in the republican primary or whatever new party the republicans would become under him, the trumpets opposition has always been a cult of personality rather than any actual beliefs meaning that any primary to McMullin would likely fizzle out. The democrats would have a lack of leadership with both Clinton and Obama out of the political arena meaning that the primary would be between forces trying to move the party far to the left and dnc hacks.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 09:40:21 PM »

If McMullin retires, as he might, he could run for Governor. I suspect a ticket might be Senator Rand Paul/Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 10:11:34 AM »

If McMullin retires, as he might, he could run for Governor. I suspect a ticket might be Senator Rand Paul/Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice.

Ignoring the question for a little bit, that Paul/Rice ticket is awesome.
Metalhead123

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 07:01:46 PM »

I have a feeling that regardless of the outcome, McMullin will probably try to capitalize off of his success and make his on Conservative political party.
Seneca
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 10:42:38 AM »

I have a feeling that regardless of the outcome, McMullin will probably try to capitalize off of his success and make his on Conservative political party.

Surely McMullin would run in the Republican senate primary to replace Hatch in 2018 if he manages to win Utah's EV's this year.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies