If Justin Trudeau were to resign as Prime Minister of Canada?.....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:34:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  If Justin Trudeau were to resign as Prime Minister of Canada?.....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: If Justin Trudeau were to resign as Prime Minister of Canada?.....  (Read 1950 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2016, 06:55:06 PM »

If he were to die, historical precedent would be to select someone from the Senate. Might not work considering all Liberal Senators are officially "independent". And, a prime minister hasn't died in office in over 100 years, so historical precedent may mean nothing.

It should be noted though that before they elected Harper, the Conservative leader was also selected from the Senate after the merger.

If I recall correctly, Turner wasn't even member of either house when appointed PM, but at least he was already elected Liberal Leader. Also, wasn't Mackenzie King appointed PM one time after actually losing his seat in GE?

It doesn't apply here, since both were official party leaders, but theoretically speaking, having a non-MP to head a brief caretaker ministry doesn't sound that far-fetched.

True. You don't need a seat in the House of Commons to be Prime Minister, and many haven't for brief periods in the past. Some have spent their entire premiership without a seat.

However I doubt in this far-fetched scenario that the Liberals would look outside of caucus for interim leadership. What would be the point?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2016, 09:38:49 PM »

Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship John McCallum is picked by the Liberal caucus as interim leader of the Liberal Party and interim Prime Minister.

Liberals elect Finance Minister Bill Morneau as the new leader of the Liberal Party and Prime Minister.

No way anyone from the Senate is chosen for anything.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2016, 05:30:09 AM »

If Trudeau was to suddenly die right amidst the peak of his honeymoon, i could imagine a movement to draft his wife tbh

Well, no need to die...

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2016, 06:56:32 PM »

Speaking of which, how is the language issue handled in other democracies with significant language minorities? Are Swiss or Belgian leaders expected to all speak German/French/Italian or Flemish/French? How about South Africa or India? I imagine it'd be very difficult to find someone who speaks all of their umpteen languages.
I only vote for Republicans with German ancestry or who speak German.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies