Patriotism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:01:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Patriotism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of patriotism?
Positive

Negative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Patriotism  (Read 7753 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2005, 04:19:52 PM »

StatesRights and Preston, patriotism is also standing up and disagreeing with certain people.  TakeOurCountryBack clearly doesn't 'hate' America - he hates the people that he feels are destroying it.  Which shows that he's just as patriotic as all the flag-waving warmongerers.

If undermining a war effort is "patriotic" then this country is f*ed.

pa·tri·ot·ic
adj.

Feeling, expressing, or inspired by love for one's country.

---

There's nothing in that definition that requires one to support a war in order to be patriotic.  From his perception, the war is likely a stain on America's reputation, and his opposition to it comes just as much out of love for his country as your support for the war does.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2005, 06:04:30 PM »

StatesRights and Preston, patriotism is also standing up and disagreeing with certain people.  TakeOurCountryBack clearly doesn't 'hate' America - he hates the people that he feels are destroying it.  Which shows that he's just as patriotic as all the flag-waving warmongerers.

pa·tri·ot·ic
adj.

Feeling, expressing, or inspired by love for one's country.

---

There's nothing in that definition that requires one to support a war in order to be patriotic.  From his perception, the war is likely a stain on America's reputation, and his opposition to it comes just as much out of love for his country as your support for the war does.

If it's your opinion that wishing your nation to lose a war is "loving" your nation. Well then that certainly is a twisted definition of love. That's kind of like an abusive husband saying... "Yes, I beat you, but I beat you because I love[/i] you.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2005, 06:06:14 PM »

If it's your opinion that wishing your nation to lose a war is "loving" your nation. Well then that certainly is a twisted definition of love. That's kind of like an abusive husband saying... "Yes, I beat you, but I beat you because I love[/i] you.

If their kid started a fist fight, any responsible parent would not root for their kid to knock the other kid out.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2005, 06:14:53 PM »

Undermining?  The pointless and stupid Iraq War?  Yes.  We shouldn't be there.  I like to see my country make good choices and not send innocent kids off to die. 

States, I'm sure if the Bush got up and said Australia was the true mastermind behind the 9/11 attack you would wave your flag around and start wearing  Australia shirts.  Blindly following your government into ridiculous escapades into any country they THINK could be a threat is being as un-patriotic as it gets.  I thake a lot more than a piece of fabric, chanting "USA" and slamming a bumber sticker onto your car to be patriotic.  The veer reason we have our country is because a group of people stood up and realized what their government was doing is wrong. 
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2005, 06:19:20 PM »

Iraq was well worth it. Saddam was a threat and us allowing him to stay in power would have been dangerous at best. We did the right thing, end of argument. Those who are undermining our war effort and trying to make this war Vietnam 2 are just as bad as members of Al Qaeda.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2005, 06:20:26 PM »

Iraq was well worth it. Saddam was a threat and us allowing him to stay in power would have been dangerous at best. We did the right thing, end of argument. Those who are undermining our war effort and trying to make this war Vietnam 2 are just as bad as members of Al Qaeda.

Oh, come on, criticizing Bush for not giving the troops enougn body armor is not undermining the war.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2005, 08:17:54 PM »

Yea, an anti-war protest is just as bad as a terrorist attack. 

States, your comments are idiotic at best and somewhat offensive.  I'm not going to sit here and be compared to murderers. 
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2005, 08:34:16 PM »

States, your comments are idiotic at best and somewhat offensive.  I'm not going to sit here and be compared to murderers. 

Then quit undermining my country.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2005, 09:15:28 PM »

Then quit undermining my country.

No one is undermining your country, we're just trying to undermine the current regime.  Also what on earth good would it to do 'win' this pointless war?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2005, 10:50:13 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2005, 10:51:48 PM by nclib »

I have mixed feelings regarding patriotism. It is not bad in of itself, but is taken way too far by most Americans.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2005, 07:20:47 PM »

Overall it is positive, though to the extent that it blinds people to rational analysis, it can become negative.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2005, 02:46:33 AM »

Overall it is positive, though to the extent that it blinds people to rational analysis, it can become negative.

Pretty much the only time that patriotism becomes a bad thing is when it's used as a threat, as in, "You hold opinion X?  Why?  You don't want to be unpatriotic, do you?"
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2005, 12:47:27 PM »

Pretty much the only time that patriotism becomes a bad thing is when it's used as a threat, as in, "You hold opinion X?  Why?  You don't want to be unpatriotic, do you?"
That's not necesarily a bad thing.  Some opinions are superior to others.  I think that the US right now needs a health dose of heavy nationalism.  People are motivated by their country to succeed and adhere to a higher moral and productive standard of life.  We could acomplish great things.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2005, 12:48:56 PM »

Neutral. Most "patriotism" is the US is really nationalism and jingoinism, of which my opinion is very very negative. All nationalism is evil.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2005, 12:51:52 PM »

Neutral. Most "patriotism" is the US is really nationalism and jingoinism, of which my opinion is very very negative. All nationalism is evil.
You only hate it because it could crush your political faction.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2005, 12:54:55 PM »

Which according to your avatar color is also your political faction.

For examples of very nationalistic governments look at Saddam's Iraq, the Lebanese Falange, and oh, Germany in the late 30s/early 40s...
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2005, 02:44:38 PM »

For examples of very nationalistic governments look at Saddam's Iraq, the Lebanese Falange, and oh, Germany in the late 30s/early 40s...
I'm not arguing that what Germany did was right.  However, you have to admit that nationalism was very effective for one country to steamroll across Europle.  The people were dedicated to the sucess of their country.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2005, 05:26:10 PM »

That's not necesarily a bad thing.  Some opinions are superior to others.  I think that the US right now needs a health dose of heavy nationalism.  People are motivated by their country to succeed and adhere to a higher moral and productive standard of life.  We could acomplish great things.

In your opinion, some opinions are superior to others, and shockingly, the superior ones are most likely your own.

I'm not even going to get into the fact that calling someone unpatriotic to refute that person's argument is a horrible logical fallacy.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2005, 06:24:33 PM »

I'm not arguing that what Germany did was right.  However, you have to admit that nationalism was very effective for one country to steamroll across Europle.  The people were dedicated to the sucess of their country.
If being nationalistic would enable the USA to take over a whole continent, I'd be as anti-nationalistic as I could.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2005, 07:25:12 PM »

If being nationalistic would enable the USA to take over a whole continent, I'd be as anti-nationalistic as I could.
Whole continent.  The USA could take North America with our standing armies for crying out loud.  With a fierce nationalism movement and a healthy investment in nukes the US could take the whole world -being allied with Russia and maybe India, of course.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2005, 07:39:48 PM »

Whole continent. The USA could take North America with our standing armies for crying out loud. With a fierce nationalism movement and a healthy investment in nukes the US could take the whole world -being allied with Russia and maybe India, of course.

...why would we want this?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2005, 07:50:13 PM »

Whole continent.  The USA could take North America with our standing armies for crying out loud.  With a fierce nationalism movement and a healthy investment in nukes the US could take the whole world -being allied with Russia and maybe India, of course.

With a healthy investment in nukes the US could also make the entire Earth uninhabitable by any form of life, but I don't see why this would be a good thing.  Nationalism makes human beings hate and/or feel superior to other human beings over, at the heart of it, completely arbitrary borders, nothing more.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2005, 07:53:16 PM »

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume you were on crack cocaine when you posted this.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2005, 07:54:59 PM »

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume you were on crack cocaine when you posted this.
No, I'm just feeling very patriotic at the moment.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2005, 07:57:13 PM »

No, I'm just feeling very patriotic at the moment.

You're feeling very patriotic, so you enjoy the thought of your country recklessly trashing current global stability and killing tens of millions of people through nukes and full-scale global war?

I don't entirely see how this follows...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies