How the hell did Jay Rockefeller ever get elected?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:53:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How the hell did Jay Rockefeller ever get elected?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How the hell did Jay Rockefeller ever get elected?  (Read 2226 times)
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 21, 2016, 07:31:26 PM »

Looking back at Jay Rockefeller's stances on the issues and his voting record (pro-EPA, pro-gun control, overall very liberal) I have to wonder how he was ever elected in West Virginia. He got an F rating from the NRA and was rated a Hardcore Liberal by ontheissues.com.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 08:08:11 PM »

He was personally a good person and a maverick willing to work across the aisle. Also remember Rockefeller was running in a usually Democratic state that voted for Dukakis.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 09:18:30 PM »

He spent millions of dollars to run. I don't think that is solely why he won, but the GOP bench, as I'm sure you know, was not ever strong in WV, so it was easy to squish the competition.

The few republicans with any sway in the state usually kept it close against him, though.

in 1984, John Raese was not yet a joke, and spent a lot of money like Rockefeller. Reagan's national landslide also helped keep it close. 51-47 for Rocky.

in 1980, Arch Moore only lost 54-45 to Rocky.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 11:28:23 PM »

That wasn't a problem in WV before. He looked in touch with WV interests, and so kept getting re-elected in a traditionally democratic state. He probably would have been re-elected in 14, had he run.

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 11:34:23 PM »

I have mixed feelings about him. On one hand, he could have lived a far more glamorous life in someplace like NY or CT and probably had a promising career as a "Rockefeller Republican" and instead he chose to go do volunteer work in one of the poorest states in the country and spend the rest of his life in public service. On the other, he seemed, especially in his final years in the Senate, to regard his constituents like some primitive people who he was the benevolent colonial administrator for.

I wonder if there will ever be any more Rockefellers in politics. (The Kennedys seem to always keep filling up their bench.)
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 12:06:15 AM »

I have mixed feelings about him. On one hand, he could have lived a far more glamorous life in someplace like NY or CT and probably had a promising career as a "Rockefeller Republican" and instead he chose to go do volunteer work in one of the poorest states in the country and spend the rest of his life in public service. On the other, he seemed, especially in his final years in the Senate, to regard his constituents like some primitive people who he was the benevolent colonial administrator for.

I wonder if there will ever be any more Rockefellers in politics. (The Kennedys seem to always keep filling up their bench.)

And is he terribly wrong about that? Wink
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 08:31:05 AM »

Why don't you stupid racist rednecks vote for us?
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 09:46:12 AM »

Yes, yes he is.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 08:10:03 PM »

By getting more votes than the other guy.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 03:04:34 PM »

I don't know why people can't put this together: WV (and the rest of the South) hasn't just gotten more Republican, it's gotten more conservative, too.  I know we like to pretend the old Dems in Dixie were just right wing racists and it took a while for those poor, stupid Southerners to switch to being Republicans (ya know, when the parties literally switched platforms!), but the fact is much of the South used to really appreciate liberal politics, specifically on economic issues.  The real heart of American conservatism originated from the Midwest.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 03:47:17 PM »

I don't know why people can't put this together: WV (and the rest of the South) hasn't just gotten more Republican, it's gotten more conservative, too.  I know we like to pretend the old Dems in Dixie were just right wing racists and it took a while for those poor, stupid Southerners to switch to being Republicans (ya know, when the parties literally switched platforms!), but the fact is much of the South used to really appreciate liberal politics, specifically on economic issues.  The real heart of American conservatism originated from the Midwest.

Tell that to the Byrd Machine of Virginia.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 04:38:41 PM »

Not sure what your point is.  I said "much of the South," and it's pretty clear that VA (along with TX, FL and OK) had a much quicker embrace of conservatism than much of the South in the latter half of the 20th Century.  I also never said that there weren't any conservative Southern Democrats, simply that the South has gotten much more conservative in even the last 20 years, which I'm not sure how you can refute.

So again, not sure what your point is...
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 05:19:19 PM »

Not sure what your point is.  I said "much of the South," and it's pretty clear that VA (along with TX, FL and OK) had a much quicker embrace of conservatism than much of the South in the latter half of the 20th Century.  I also never said that there weren't any conservative Southern Democrats, simply that the South has gotten much more conservative in even the last 20 years, which I'm not sure how you can refute.

You'd also have to include South Carolina to that list of states quick to embrace conservatism, at a minimum.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 10:27:22 PM »

You'd also have to include South Carolina to that list of states quick to embrace conservatism, at a minimum.

True, just named a few.  SC is definitely one.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 02:05:04 AM »
« Edited: November 02, 2016, 04:05:14 AM by smoltchanov »

I always separated southern states in 2 groups: one, more mobile, with heavy inmigration, more quickly developing economy, and so on - like Texas and Florida (add to this  (because of "special circumstances") Virginia and South Carolina with their very conservative leading politicians, like members of Harry Byrd "machine" in former and Thurmond and Watson in later, and still - better development then in most southern states) embraced conservatism earlier and more easily. For the time being it was a "Democratic conservatism", but soon people in this camp began to feel more comfortably with much more conservative in general Republican party and realignment -began. Another - Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee (except eastern part), even Oklahoma (with Georgia and North Carolina located somewhere "in between" for a long time, but now - located somewhere between "southern" politics and "national" one) were deeply parochial and socially conservative, but mostly populist economicaly, and held their Democratic allegiance longer (especially on state and local level, where there was a lot of "suitable" politicians). West Virginia (mix of the South and MidWest with a little bit of NorthEast) was in the second camp - with relatively srtong unions, fond memories of Franklin Roosevelt and so on. Until recently. So, Jay Rockefeller was close to ideal candidate for 1970th -  1980th, quite acceptablre - even for 2000th, and so on. But - not now....
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 05:27:45 PM »

West Virginia was only heavily Democratic due to the enormous Labor Union presence in the state (especially coal unions).   

Once the Democratic Party moved away from Unions as their foundation and became anti-coal....West Virginia had no real connection to the Democrats anymore.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 06:09:43 PM »

Rockefeller was always a backbencher yes man who never inspired the respect or commanded the purse strings that Byrd did. He managed to make a 30 year career in the Senate by basically schmoozing the elites in the state. After 30 years of going with the flow, Rockefeller in his final year started bucking the trend. All the while, Byrd, who had been Senate Majority Leader and President Pro-Tempore, had been a fairly regular rebel who bucked the trend on issues like the Gulf War.

Enjoy President Trump.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies