Who should the Virginia Gov appoint to be interim senator?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:17:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who should the Virginia Gov appoint to be interim senator?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who should the Virginia Gov appoint to be interim senator?
Mark Herring

Bobby Scott

Gerry Connolly

Himself

Someone else (please post choice)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Who should the Virginia Gov appoint to be interim senator?  (Read 1630 times)
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2016, 11:01:53 AM »
« edited: November 12, 2016, 10:07:45 PM by ♥♦ 3peat 2016 ♣♠ »

abc
JMT

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 11:16:12 AM »

I think Herring would be a good choice. Although he may not be appointed, Dems in VA may want him to stay on as Attorney General and run for reelection so they can hold that seat. But I wouldn't be surprised if Herring was the interim senator and / or decided to run in the special election
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 12:00:43 PM »

Chap Petersen, Tom Perriello, Brian Moran, or John W. Marshall.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 12:05:05 PM »

Word is that the appointment will be Bobby Scott. As a Republican, I like that. He is a weak candidate as he has never faced a competitive race in his heavily Democratic district, and is very up in age, which could hinder his campaigning skills. If I were McAuliffe, I'd appoint Rep. Don Beyer (VA-08). He may only be a freshman Congressman, but he is a former Lieutenant Governor who won statewide even in 1993, a bad year for Virginia Democrats. He is also a former ambassador and is pretty wealthy, and while I dislike his politics, he seems like a decent person. He is also a good campaigner and fundraiser. So Beyer is the guy who's always scared me the most.
syntaxerror
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.04

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 12:28:37 PM »

Bobby Scott would be a weak appointment, but it leads me to think that McAuliffe is doing so in order to keep the special election open for Herring.

Herring would be the strongest candidate, imho. Has experience in statewide elections and young enough to serve several terms.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 01:10:39 PM »

How does replacing Senate vacancies work in VA? Will the appointed Senator serve until 2018, or will there have to be a special election before then?
syntaxerror
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.04

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 01:15:12 PM »

How does replacing Senate vacancies work in VA? Will the appointed Senator serve until 2018, or will there have to be a special election before then?

Special Election in Nov 2017 alongside Gubernatorial election. Then election for same seat in 2018.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 01:27:23 PM »

Special Election in Nov 2017 alongside Gubernatorial election. Then election for same seat in 2018.

Ugh, what a ridiculous system.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 01:34:59 PM »

As a Republican, I suppose I have to stick my neck out for Barbara Comstock or Ken Cuccinelli Tongue

I guess it's all the same to me which of these Democrats gets appointed, but I suppose Bobby Scott would probably be preferable, both since he comes from a demographic that's underrepresented in the Senate and since he hasn't faced a competitive election against a Republican since the 1980s, so presumably he's a tad rusty on that point.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 01:50:24 PM »

Bobbi Scott plz.  we need a black senator.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 01:57:09 PM »

Bobbi Scott plz.  we need a black senator.
There's already an African American Senator Scott. Wink
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 02:09:01 PM »

Creigh Deeds would be pretty cool.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2016, 02:36:35 PM »

Tom Perriello would be an excellent choice.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 02:54:47 PM »

Third for Periello, if he's interested.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 03:17:51 PM »

McAauliffe should be like Joe Manchin with Carte Goodwin - a younger place holder to give them visibility for something else down the line, like Tom Perriello or Aneesh Chopra. I would then like to see Herring run for the seat and win it in his own right.
Fitzgerald
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -5.91

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2016, 03:21:20 PM »

McAauliffe should be like Joe Manchin with Carte Goodwin - a younger place holder to give them visibility for something else down the line, like Tom Perriello or Aneesh Chopra. I would then like to see Herring run for the seat and win it in his own right.

Seconded. We need to get the most out of this seat that we can.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2016, 03:21:32 PM »

Herring should indicate that he's going to run and then not. So his candidacy would be a red Herring. Wink
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2016, 03:41:26 PM »

Very weird choice, but what about Anne Holton?
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2016, 04:02:52 PM »

Very weird choice, but what about Anne Holton?
They stopped appointing the ex-Senators' spouses to the seat because it was viewed as doing the family a favor, I believe. I'm pretty sure there's a reason that old tradition is pretty much dead.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2016, 04:20:21 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2016, 04:22:46 PM by ♥♦ 3peat 2016 ♣♠ »

I'm not sure what makes you believe this. It makes sense if you think about it. We already have an election scheduled for Gov in Nov. 2017 anyway so we just need to add a few names to the ballot to determine who we choose to represent our state until the end of Tim Kaine's term, then the following Nov. we get to decide who will represent us for the next six years. Nothing ridiculous about it.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2016, 04:31:43 PM »

Tom Periello
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2016, 04:32:38 PM »

I'm not sure what makes you believe this. It makes sense if you think about it. We already have an election scheduled for Gov in Nov. 2017 anyway so we just need to add a few names to the ballot to determine who we choose to represent our state until the end of Tim Kaine's term, then the following Nov. we get to decide who will represent us for the next six years. Nothing ridiculous about it.

It just seems weird to have two elections for the same seat within a year's distance. I'd say an election only makes sense if you have at least 2 years to go.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2016, 05:20:18 PM »

It just seems weird to have two elections for the same seat within a year's distance. I'd say an election only makes sense if you have at least 2 years to go.

I think it makes sense to get a Senator who the people of Virginia want as soon as possible.

And the time between Tim Kaine resigning and the post-2016 Senate taking over is close to two years.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2016, 06:06:55 PM »

Perriello is my first choice - barring that, I'm fine with Mark Herring or even Bobby Scott, who is a solid congressman.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2016, 06:12:47 PM »

If this replacement is meant to also be the person to run in 2018, they better be a star fundraiser, because it's going to be very expensive in 2017 and possibly also 2018, depending on how well his/ or her support is going into that race. If we get a 50-50 split somehow, or maybe even 51-49 still, the Republican Party is going to descend on that 2017 race with the fury of a thousand suns.

Really, this is a big reason Kaine was a bad choice. It's unnecessary risk and now Democrats have to pour tens of millions into Virginia just a year later, and possibly again a year later.

The only plus is that with all that money going into GOTV/ads in 2017, it could boost other Democrats in their statewide races.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies