Who should the Virginia Gov appoint to be interim senator?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:01:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who should the Virginia Gov appoint to be interim senator?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who should the Virginia Gov appoint to be interim senator?
Mark Herring

Bobby Scott

Gerry Connolly

Himself

Someone else (please post choice)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Who should the Virginia Gov appoint to be interim senator?  (Read 1629 times)
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2016, 06:16:49 PM »

Republicans should pass a law mandating that a Republican be appointed to any vacancy.
Fitzgerald
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -5.91

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2016, 06:19:10 PM »

Republicans should pass a law mandating that a Republican be appointed to any vacancy.

This might legitimately be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard on the congressional board.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2016, 07:16:09 PM »

Really, this is a big reason Kaine was a bad choice. It's unnecessary risk and now Democrats have to pour tens of millions into Virginia just a year later, and possibly again a year later.

This x10000. I wasn't involved in the discussion on the race at that time, but if I was I would have said this was a TERRIBLE decision.

We must really hope 2016 is a turning point for VA politics and that it will get harder and harder for Republicans to win statewide.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2016, 03:05:07 AM »

Word is that the appointment will be Bobby Scott. As a Republican, I like that. He is a weak candidate as he has never faced a competitive race in his heavily Democratic district, and is very up in age, which could hinder his campaigning skills. If I were McAuliffe, I'd appoint Rep. Don Beyer (VA-08). He may only be a freshman Congressman, but he is a former Lieutenant Governor who won statewide even in 1993, a bad year for Virginia Democrats. He is also a former ambassador and is pretty wealthy, and while I dislike his politics, he seems like a decent person. He is also a good campaigner and fundraiser. So Beyer is the guy who's always scared me the most.

Yeah, 69 year old Bobby Scott is just way to old to win an election. He's got nothing on young, spry, 66 year old Don Beyer.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2016, 09:39:47 AM »

Word is that the appointment will be Bobby Scott. As a Republican, I like that. He is a weak candidate as he has never faced a competitive race in his heavily Democratic district, and is very up in age, which could hinder his campaigning skills. If I were McAuliffe, I'd appoint Rep. Don Beyer (VA-08). He may only be a freshman Congressman, but he is a former Lieutenant Governor who won statewide even in 1993, a bad year for Virginia Democrats. He is also a former ambassador and is pretty wealthy, and while I dislike his politics, he seems like a decent person. He is also a good campaigner and fundraiser. So Beyer is the guy who's always scared me the most.

Yeah, 69 year old Bobby Scott is just way to old to win an election. He's got nothing on young, spry, 66 year old Don Beyer.
Beyer has won statewide twice before, including in the bad Democratic year of 1993. He is also super rich and a strong fundraiser.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2016, 02:59:41 PM »

Tom Perriello
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2016, 03:39:09 PM »

Didn't a Senators' wife get appointed in Missouri back in 2000 after a plane crash?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies