Why are Nevada whites pretty Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:44:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why are Nevada whites pretty Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why are Nevada whites pretty Republican?  (Read 1883 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 13, 2013, 11:54:01 PM »

For a state with few Evangelical Christians, population concentrated in urban areas, and an anti-conventional feel, why are NV whites still pretty Republican?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 12:53:30 AM »

A lot of them are Mormons.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 10:36:50 AM »

In 2012 atheist whites went 58-41 for Obama while Protestant whites (including Mormons) went 69-31 for Romney. The latter group tracks the national vote precisely though. Non-religious whites leaned more Romney in NV, Catholic whites less so.

Overall, Romney did worse among white voters in Nevada than nationally, mostly because his strongest voting group, protestants is a smaller share of the vote there.

SImilarly, evangelicals is both a bigger share of the white vote nationally and went more strongly for Romney but the complement of white evangelicals went better for him in Nevada.

Abortion shows a similar pattern, Romney does better among pro-choice voters and worse among pro-life ones in Nevada compared to the nation.

Also, according to the exit polling Nevada is substantially more urban than the nation. Not sure of the racial composition though.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 11:18:24 AM »

This is one of several reasons. A large part of Nevada lies in the Mormon Corridor, with Mormons making up 11 percent of the state's population:

Oh, and fun fact: Both of Nevada's Senators are Mormon.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 01:14:02 PM »

I'd imagine:

a) high Mormon population

b) relatively high rural population

c) I'd bet a lot of the whites in Vegas care more about economic than social issues, so low taxes and business incentives are probably more important than abortion and gay marriage, even though they probably generally skew liberal on those kinds of issues.

I'm sure it's mostly (a) and (b) though...

Actually, Nevada is one of the most urban states. 
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 02:00:51 PM »

I'd imagine:

c) I'd bet a lot of the whites in Vegas care more about economic than social issues, so low taxes and business incentives are probably more important than abortion and gay marriage, even though they probably generally skew liberal on those kinds of issues.

b) Only 12% of the population lives outside of Clark and Washoe counties.

To answer the question, I think they vote more so based on economic issues, like much of the west. Sure, there are a good amount Mormons there, but not merely as much as Utah or even Idaho. I think Gustaf brings a good point up when it comes to religion.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 02:50:10 PM »

I think everybody just assumes all Nevadans to be libertines because the state is home to Las Vegas.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 07:16:10 PM »

I'd imagine:

Actually, Nevada is one of the most urban states. 

Are you really counting the sprawl 50 miles outside of downtown Vegas as urban?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 07:19:53 PM »

Mormons and Orange county type Republicans dominate the exurbs.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 01:06:14 AM »

Mormons.  Mormons and Evangelicals vote Republican at a fairly similar clip.  Nevada is a bit less Evangelical than the nation as a whole, but its Mormon population is quite a bit larger than the nation as a whole. 

The overall white vote that is either Evangelical or Mormon is similar in Nevada as it is to the nation as a whole.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 11:02:24 AM »

A lot of them are Mormons, which probably explains a lot.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 12:25:05 PM »

Yeah, it's mostly Mormons and other Evangelicals. But Harry Reid seems to want the Mormons back; he's promoted a few events for LDS Dems in Nevada (and Utah) with his handpicked Senate Majority Leader Mo Denis (who happens to be a Mormon).

Also, the old canard about Mormons being Republican only applies to white Mormons; American Samoa is 25% Mormon (according to Wiki) and they're overwhelmingly Democratic. The only problem is that non-white Mormon populations tend to be pretty small.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 09:40:34 PM »

Mormons.  Mormons and Evangelicals vote Republican at a fairly similar clip.  Nevada is a bit less Evangelical than the nation as a whole, but its Mormon population is quite a bit larger than the nation as a whole. 

The overall white vote that is either Evangelical or Mormon is similar in Nevada as it is to the nation as a whole.

Isn't the combined white Evangelical/Mormon vote a lower % than the nation? Do non-Evangelical non-Mormon whites in NV vote more Republican than the nation?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 01:44:54 AM »

Many of Nevada's Mormons are "Jack Mormons".  They are much like "lapsed" Catholics; folks that identify their religion as the one they were raised in, but something that they don't really practice.  They do tend to be exurban voters, however, and as has been pointed out, these are a pretty Republican group.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies