Mormon regional party following Trump defeat?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:06:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Mormon regional party following Trump defeat?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mormon regional party following Trump defeat?  (Read 1048 times)
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2016, 01:26:30 PM »

Evan McMullin has called for a new conservative movement after this election and has expressed pessimism that it will be led by the Republican Party.

http://wtop.com/elections/2016/10/who-is-evan-mcmullin-third-party-candidate-surging-in-utah/

Could we perhaps see the emergence of largely Mormon regional party led by McMullin and others, similar to the Scottish National Party? I think it wouldn't exclusively be a Mormon interest party but I think its electoral success could be limited to states in the Mountain West with large Mormon populations. It would appeal to Never Trumpers who are still very conservative (like Ted Cruz, Glen Beck, the talk radio crowd, etc). Thoughts?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 01:38:58 PM »

HUH?!
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 01:40:16 PM »

I wonder if we could see McMullin running as an independent (or as a Libertarian, considering the praise he gave Austin Petersen) against Orrin Hatch in 2018. Presumably he would still caucus with the Republicans, though.

I suspect that such a venture would finish similarly to Greg Orman's KS-2014 campaign, though.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 01:56:40 PM »

Sure, just like the SR Democratic Party went places. Just like the American Independent became prominent following Humphrey's defeat...oh wait.
hopper
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 01:57:42 PM »

I wonder if we could see McMullin running as an independent (or as a Libertarian, considering the praise he gave Austin Petersen) against Orrin Hatch in 2018. Presumably he would still caucus with the Republicans, though.

No Jason Chaffetz or Mia Love will probably be Utah's next US Senator after Hatch probably retires in 2017-2018.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 03:40:17 PM »

It's not going to happen but it would be hilarious if Trump led to Utahn indpendence.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 08:18:36 PM »

Sure, just like the SR Democratic Party went places. Just like the American Independent became prominent following Humphrey's defeat...oh wait.

Indeed. A regional Mormon party might make it under a Westminster system, but there's no chance  IRL.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 08:29:22 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2016, 08:35:56 PM by Cashew »

Indeed. A regional Mormon party might make it under a Westminster system, but there's no chance  IRL.
Assuming the Utah republican establishment has the political will to successfully pull off a coup and keep the infrastructure with them, then they would establish themselves as the american equivalent of the CSU. Republican holdouts would be the ones struggling under fptp in this scenario.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 10:36:02 AM »

McMullin's success came about only because of Trump. Despite the wishes of many of my fellow Democrats on this forum, "Trumpism" is not a movement that will stay in the Republican Party for long. His ideas and his movement will die out with his campaign. Trump isn't Goldwater in the sense that he gave an indication of things to come for the party, he is Wendell Willkie. He'll lose, and then subsequently be forgotten.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 11:25:18 AM »

McMullin's success came about only because of Trump. Despite the wishes of many of my fellow Democrats on this forum, "Trumpism" is not a movement that will stay in the Republican Party for long. His ideas and his movement will die out with his campaign. Trump isn't Goldwater in the sense that he gave an indication of things to come for the party, he is Wendell Willkie. He'll lose, and then subsequently be forgotten.

This.  Those licking their chops of a party system that involves a band of deplorables vs. a Dem coalition that is pretty much "everyone else" are going to be SORELY disappointed.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 11:45:04 AM »

This.  Those licking their chops of a party system that involves a band of deplorables vs. a Dem coalition that is pretty much "everyone else" are going to be SORELY disappointed.

Remember! Every state is trending D except for Iowa and West Virginia! Roll Eyes
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 11:52:22 AM »

By definition that is what the divide is, the way some people talk. Remember the rhetoric around Mormon advocacy in SSM referendums? Flip a group to the other side and all of a sudden a hack's rhetoric starts changing Tongue
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 04:51:52 PM »

While I basically agree with Southern Gothic and RINO Tom here, I do still think the conflict between "deplorables" and other wings of the Republican Party will not be over with Trump's defeat, and could well be an important theme to the 2018/2020 cycles.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 09:45:11 AM »

Trump has legitimized outright bigotry this election. You think that the base is going to go back to normal as soon as Trump loses?

This.  Those licking their chops of a party system that involves a band of deplorables vs. a Dem coalition that is pretty much "everyone else" are going to be SORELY disappointed.

Nah. The people who want a Kasich-type as nominee of the GOP in 2020 are the ones who are going to be disappointed. While Trumpism isn't a coherent ideology, it's beyond delusional to think that Trump's candidacy won't reshape the GOP. He's awoken the beast, and the "establish" types aren't going to put it to sleep anytime soon. Far-right candidates (whether Tea Party or "Trumpist") literally won all but one state (Ohio) in the Presidential primaries this year.

I don't think the hardcore voters at Trump's base will go back to normal. But they will come to realize that the Republican party isn't in the business of indulging them any longer. We will see fundamental reform in the Republican primary system between now and 2020.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 11:02:20 AM »

I don't think the political climate lends itself to regionalist blocs like it used to...
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2016, 04:05:14 PM »

Trump has legitimized outright bigotry this election. You think that the base is going to go back to normal as soon as Trump loses?

This.  Those licking their chops of a party system that involves a band of deplorables vs. a Dem coalition that is pretty much "everyone else" are going to be SORELY disappointed.

Nah. The people who want a Kasich-type as nominee of the GOP in 2020 are the ones who are going to be disappointed. While Trumpism isn't a coherent ideology, it's beyond delusional to think that Trump's candidacy won't reshape the GOP. He's awoken the beast, and the "establish" types aren't going to put it to sleep anytime soon. Far-right candidates (whether Tea Party or "Trumpist") literally won all but one state (Ohio) in the Presidential primaries this year.

I don't think the hardcore voters at Trump's base will go back to normal. But they will come to realize that the Republican party isn't in the business of indulging them any longer. We will see fundamental reform in the Republican primary system between now and 2020.

I think you've stumbled upon an interesting question SouthernGothic.

What you've described works in Europe, but only for a while. The right-populists continue to grow, and eventually the established parties are forced to work together to keep them out of power. This in turn creates a sense of injustice and eliminates a safety valve for the established parties, since there is no safe alternative for the voters to turn to when they want to throw the bums out.

If you were describing an European proportional democracy, I'd say what you are suggesting would work for ten years tops, but since its the USA, and has a totally different system, it might work out differently.

Thoughts?
DIXIECRAT
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 04:50:30 PM »

Nativism, protectionism, isolationism and republicanism have almost always been synonyms. Trumpist platforms will reunite history and presidency again and again for the Grand Old Party.

If Mormons don't feel represented by neither party, they'll start splitting their vote on a coordinated way. That's how they function in the State of Deseret. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies