A religion poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:16:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  A religion poll
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: What are you?
Anglican

Methodist

Reformed/Calvinist/Presbyterian

Lutheran

Baptist

Other Protestant

Catholic

Eastern Orthodox

Oriental Orthodox

Mormon

Jehovah's Witness

Seventh Day Adventist

Pentecostal

Quaker

Other Christian

Unitarian

Jewish

Muslim

Hindu

Buddhist

Taoist

Pagan

Wiccan

Deist

Other religious

Agnostic

Atheist

Other non-religious

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 142

Author Topic: A religion poll  (Read 4447 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2016, 06:19:14 PM »

Atheist. "Agnostics" are such moderate heroes Tongue

I don't see why everyone hates agnostics.

(I'm Jewish, but also agnostic.)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2016, 07:12:26 PM »

Reformed Protestant

Me neither. On average I find agnostics much more pleasant than other secular types.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2016, 07:49:00 PM »

Atheist
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2016, 08:59:52 PM »

Other Christian - More specifically an Adoptionist Christian Universalist with Daoist philosophy added in as well.  The only criticism I'll levy about the poll is that the Unitarian option should have been Unitarian Universalist.

If my understanding is correct, unitarianism can go without universalism and vice-versa.

Yes, but too many people, and not just the OP, if that is what he meant, use Unitarian as shorthand for a Unitarian Universalist. As one who if the two associations were separated would certainly be a Universalist and certainly not a Unitarian, it's a pet peeve of mine, but I don't particularly fault TDAS04 for that, as it is a common mistake. The numbers of unaffiliated Unitarian or Universalist churches is small enough that in a poll of this sort, Unitarian Universalism should be the option unless one wants to get bogged down in the details.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2016, 09:03:58 PM »

"Emotionally Catholic" Atheist.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2016, 09:07:03 PM »

Methodist to the extent I identify or have membership in any particular denomination.

btw, Quaker, Pentecostal and Seventh Day Adventist are Protestant too.

Not quite. While Quakerism originated in Protestantism, much as Unitarianism and Universalism did, not all adherents of those faiths consider themselves Christian today, tho unilike UUs, I'd say a majority of Quakers remain Christian.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2016, 09:54:29 PM »

Other Christian - More specifically an Adoptionist Christian Universalist with Daoist philosophy added in as well.  The only criticism I'll levy about the poll is that the Unitarian option should have been Unitarian Universalist.

If my understanding is correct, unitarianism can go without universalism and vice-versa.

Yes, but too many people, and not just the OP, if that is what he meant, use Unitarian as shorthand for a Unitarian Universalist. As one who if the two associations were separated would certainly be a Universalist and certainly not a Unitarian, it's a pet peeve of mine, but I don't particularly fault TDAS04 for that, as it is a common mistake. The numbers of unaffiliated Unitarian or Universalist churches is small enough that in a poll of this sort, Unitarian Universalism should be the option unless one wants to get bogged down in the details.

I see, fair enough.

Also, isn't universalism as a theological position compatible with the doctrine of Orthodoxy and with those of most Protestant denominations? The only one that explicitly denies it is Catholicism, as far as I understand.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2016, 09:56:34 PM »

Reformed Protestant

Me neither. On average I find agnostics much more pleasant than other secular types.

In a battle (which apparently is how many atheists and religious people nowadays view debate on these issues), when you stand between the two armies, you get caught in the crossfire. Tongue
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2016, 12:00:49 AM »

Anglican (ACNA)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2016, 04:56:40 AM »

Formal greek-orthodox. But actually atheist. Voted atheist.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2016, 05:41:33 AM »

Atheist (if it's a god v no god choice)
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2016, 06:07:19 AM »

Hindu, I guess.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2016, 06:27:15 AM »

Agnostic. To be more precise, a weak agnostic with a theistic-lean.

Well, I think the biggest issue is that atheism has become an all-encompassing umbrella for those that do not believe in a deity. Just as the religious are broken down, so I think the non-religious should be as well. Many atheists are really non-theists (those that actively believe there is no god(s), while many are more true to the term (those that don't believe in God or gods, but don't necessarily believe there is no God or gods). In other words, I think there is a significant difference between saying "I do not believe in a deity or deities" vs saying "There is no deity or there are no deities". Basically, I think most atheists are really agnostic atheists. I've seen it also described as positive/strong/hard and negative/weak/soft atheism.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2016, 12:41:05 PM »

ELCA Lutheran who views faith through an extremely liberal and abstract lense.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2016, 01:13:40 PM »

I see, fair enough.

Also, isn't universalism as a theological position compatible with the doctrine of Orthodoxy and with those of most Protestant denominations? The only one that explicitly denies it is Catholicism, as far as I understand.

Catholicism in its general modern-day form is indeed compatible with universalism - or at least with the hope that all might be eventually saved. But it isn't compatible with most (though not all) interpretations of fundamentalist or very conservative Protestantism.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2016, 01:20:10 PM »

Anglican
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2016, 09:48:30 PM »

Catholicism in its general modern-day form is indeed compatible with universalism - or at least with the hope that all might be eventually saved. But it isn't compatible with most (though not all) interpretations of fundamentalist or very conservative Protestantism.
Even then it's not entirely incompatible with Fundamentalist doctrine depending upon the form of Universalism one holds to. At it's core, Christian Universalism, holds that all can be saved and none will spend eternity in torment. However, besides Universal Reconciliation (all will eventually be saved), Annihilationism (those who reject salvation will be utterly destroyed) is compatible with the doctrine that all can be saved, and to my mind is more in keeping with the Biblical texts, as well as free will. While I hold that Christ made/makes/will make one last attempt to save the dead (outside linear time, yet simultaneously during the period between the crucifixion and  resurrection) I can think of no greater torment that one could inflict upon those who cannot be freely persuaded to accept Grace than to force them into it, leaving Annihilation as the kinder alternative.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2016, 09:49:59 PM »

Voted Baptist, though Reformed or non-denominational also works.  Raised PCUSA, but I grew more religious/conservative in college, albeit with some bumps in the road.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2016, 11:11:27 PM »

Jewish. Consider myself traditional. Believe in G-d, hold most of the holidays etc...etc...

I describe myself as being in between Conservative Judaism and Orthodox Judaism (in terms of theological beliefs).

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2016, 11:59:40 PM »

Even then it's not entirely incompatible with Fundamentalist doctrine depending upon the form of Universalism one holds to. At it's core, Christian Universalism, holds that all can be saved and none will spend eternity in torment. However, besides Universal Reconciliation (all will eventually be saved), Annihilationism (those who reject salvation will be utterly destroyed) is compatible with the doctrine that all can be saved, and to my mind is more in keeping with the Biblical texts, as well as free will. While I hold that Christ made/makes/will make one last attempt to save the dead (outside linear time, yet simultaneously during the period between the crucifixion and  resurrection) I can think of no greater torment that one could inflict upon those who cannot be freely persuaded to accept Grace than to force them into it, leaving Annihilation as the kinder alternative.

That's surprising as I've never before heard anyone consider that to be a form of Universalism as opposed to something distinct from it.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2016, 07:52:33 AM »
« Edited: October 24, 2016, 07:56:18 AM by True Federalist »

Annihilationism is opposed to Universal Reconciliation, and Universal Reconciliation certainly is the most common belief among Christian Universalists.  Annihilationism is compatible with the belief that God's unconditional grace means that all can be saved, but obviously not with the belief that all will be saved. Of course, Annihilationism is also compatible with a wide variety of other beliefs on who will or can be saved that aren't part of Christian Universalism. By Universalist standards, I'm quite conservative, and under other circumstances, I could easily see myself making a UCC church my church home.  (I also like the ELCA, but I have enuf differences in doctrine with them that I can't honestly become a member.)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2016, 09:24:08 AM »

Sunni Muslim. But not that religious.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2016, 10:41:53 AM »

Conservative Protestant denominations tend to explicitly reject universalism, while more liberal ones generally don't take an official position.  Some pastors within liberal denominations are open to it; my Lutheran (ELCA) pastor says non-Christians will go to heaven (since God's grace is for everyone, and not even believing in the wrong doctrine can keep one from receiving that grace).
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2016, 11:42:23 AM »

I'm a member of the Church of Christ.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P